• Oh, which part of Canada?
    • The weather here must be different for you
    • Wow, that's a long way
    • Are your documents in English?
    • All of the above

100 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
But with few exceptions, everyone makes a comment with the word "eh" or "aboot" and/or "hoser" or "Moosehead beer".....the MacKenzie brothers were SOOO long ago now, I wonder if these Americans will ever GET OVER IT!! :lol:

Hubby is from B.C, so he really hates all of those Canadian sterotypes!!

Actually, a while ago we were at a furniture store, and when we started talking to a saleperson, she immediately looked at me and asked where I was from! (I was born and raised in Michigan, have been living in Kentucky for the last 5-6 years, so I thought I'd lost some of my Northern accent lol.) The real funny thing is that she didn't think that hubby the Canadian was an out-of-towner!

"Я тебя люблю. Эти слова имеют мою жизнь в них."

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
:lol:

Flames, I've actually just changed where I'm from TO toronto. If I say Kitchener-Waterloo I know no one knows where that is (even if they all have black berries in their hands) so I just say Toronto.

I'm sorry - did you say K- town? Was that KW I heard?????

I am from KW as well how neat! Can you tell that I am missing home...I miss CKCO news (sad I know) and the local news about the most recent homegrow bust in Pioneer Park - always seems to be close to my parents...what does this tell us? :whistle: Anyhoo...

I have been saying 'near Toronto' and usually that satisfies the Virginians here

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

While I guess you have to be light-hearted to take them, the "eh" jokes or comments get real old after awhile...and I'm the American.

Whether or not it bothers her, I don't see many Canadians making a lot of similar comments towards Americans when visiting Canada. I'm not bitter, I just think that some people here (America, not Visajourney) need to be a little more mature or less closed-minded.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Often when I tell them I'm from Vancouver, I hear comments like, "Wow, I hear it's a beautiful city! You must really miss home." (Which I do, but you know how it is!) More often, I get the "CANADIA EH?!" joke. My ethnicity is Chinese, so often I get jokes from both cultures. It never ends :lol:

I think the worst reaction I ever got was when my mother-in-law was talking to one of the secretaries at her work about me and the immigration process. Her response was, "Why would she need papers? Isn't Canada a state?" :whistle:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
While I guess you have to be light-hearted to take them, the "eh" jokes or comments get real old after awhile...and I'm the American.

Whether or not it bothers her, I don't see many Canadians making a lot of similar comments towards Americans when visiting Canada. I'm not bitter, I just think that some people here (America, not Visajourney) need to be a little more mature or less closed-minded.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Often when I tell them I'm from Vancouver, I hear comments like, "Wow, I hear it's a beautiful city! You must really miss home." (Which I do, but you know how it is!) More often, I get the "CANADIA EH?!" joke. My ethnicity is Chinese, so often I get jokes from both cultures. It never ends :lol:

I think the worst reaction I ever got was when my mother-in-law was talking to one of the secretaries at her work about me and the immigration process. Her response was, "Why would she need papers? Isn't Canada a state?" :whistle:

I've often heard questions asked by both Americans and Canadians over the immigration process. Many in both countries have the mistaken belief that crossing the border to live is as easy as a simple "wave and a wink." Another question I've heard a lot is about citizenship. It seems a lot of people -- from the U.S. and Canada -- think that if you move to another country, you automatically lose your status as a citizen.

As for poor reactions to being Canadian... my wife hasn't really received very many from my family. Sure, there are some Canadian jokes, but thankfully, my family members have at least enough tact to keep such comments at bay when she's around. The one person who did poke fun at my wife was a cousin of mine. That didn't really surprise me, however. He can be a real jerk to everyone, so whether or not my wife was Canadian, he'd probably have found something rude to say.

I've often heard questions asked by both Americans and Canadians over the immigration process. Many in both countries have the mistaken belief that crossing the border to live is as easy as a simple "wave and a wink." Another question I've heard a lot is about citizenship. It seems a lot of people -- from the U.S. and Canada -- think that if you move to another country, you automatically lose your status as a citizen.

And definitely, I do agree with you. A lot of people who have asked about the immigration process have been surprised at how complex and arduous the journey is. A couple of my American friends went so far as to say that they presumed I was automatically a citizen, simply because I was married to an American. To be fair, until my husband and I decided to get married, I didn't have a single clue about the Canadian immigration process either - it really does go both ways.

Mostly I feel that these "Canadia eh?" comments don't happen nearly as often enough if they were to happen to an American in Canada - that's what rubs me the wrong way. I think we're just inherently more polite about accepting other cultures as they are, instead of pointing out their differences. I do agree that the media has a small role in perpetuating these stereotypical beliefs, and perhaps it's also the culture - Canada is more of a melting pot, while America is more assimilating.

Having said that, you have to wonder how well-educated a person is when he/she believes that Canada is a state which belongs to the United States. :P

Here we go again...

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Other Timeline

Canada is multi-cultural, America is the melting pot. ie: if you move to the US you are expected to melt/assimilate into American society. In Canada you are encouraged to keep your own native culture, which then enriches Canadian culture.

Honestly, I much prefer the Canadian multi-culturalism.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Flames, I've actually just changed where I'm from TO toronto. If I say Kitchener-Waterloo I know no one knows where that is (even if they all have black berries in their hands) so I just say Toronto.

I am from KW as well how neat! Can you tell that I am missing home...I miss CKCO news (sad I know) and the local news about the most recent homegrow bust in Pioneer Park - always seems to be close to my parents...what does this tell us? :whistle: Anyhoo...

I have been saying 'near Toronto' and usually that satisfies the Virginians here

I lived in KW too, before I had to move back to Bermuda - in the Pioneer Park area no less. I've done some marketing for Research in Motion. I always had to say "Research In Motion, the makers of the Blackberry" because very few people outside Ontario seem to have a clue what RIM is.

~ Catherine

But with few exceptions, everyone makes a comment with the word "eh" or "aboot" and/or "hoser" or "Moosehead beer".....the MacKenzie brothers were SOOO long ago now, I wonder if these Americans will ever GET OVER IT!! :lol:

Hubby is from B.C, so he really hates all of those Canadian sterotypes!!

Actually, a while ago we were at a furniture store, and when we started talking to a saleperson, she immediately looked at me and asked where I was from! (I was born and raised in Michigan, have been living in Kentucky for the last 5-6 years, so I thought I'd lost some of my Northern accent lol.) The real funny thing is that she didn't think that hubby the Canadian was an out-of-towner!

Are BC'ers different than other Canadians? :blink:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree that, in general, Canadians seem more accepting of other cultures and things compared to us. Just a friendly attitude in general.

I think that most people also assume, along with the whole simple immigration idea, that marrying someone automatically grants them citizenship. I get that one a LOT.

Sometimes I try to explain the process, but usually they don't want to hear it, so I end up simplifying it down into a few steps.

USA_a.gif

Timeline

I lived in KW too, before I had to move back to Bermuda - in the Pioneer Park area no less. I've done some marketing for Research in Motion. I always had to say "Research In Motion, the makers of the Blackberry" because very few people outside Ontario seem to have a clue what RIM is.

~ Catherine

What what! K-W Representin'! I grew up in Doon which is right around the corner from Pioneer Park. No one knows who RIM is here. I always have to explain that one.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

"Blackberries are made? Aren't they grown from a bush?" :lol:

Here we go again...

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline

The other day 2 canvassers for a political party came to our door. When I told them that I can't vote because I'm not a US citizen, the woman asked what country I have citizenship in.

"Canada," I replied.

"That's where we'll be moving if [our candidate] doesn't win."

All the responses I've had to my being Canadian have been friendly. Some people comment on how it must be colder where I'm from, but I don't expect everyone to know that Vancouver's climate is much milder than the rest of Canada.

Knowledge of the visa process isn't common knowledge here, but it isn't in Canada either. And the media is somewhat to blame for that. For example, on a rerun of Will and Grace, Will was interested in a guy who had to return to Canada because his visa was expiring in a few days. (What visa?) The problem was solved when Grace married him so that he could stay. All he had to do was marry a US citizen, right?

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow lots of K-Wer's here! I went to Laurier, so while I was attending school there and visiting my bf and people asked me what "college" I went to, I would always say Laurier in Waterloo, no one had a clue what I was talking about. Everyone would always ask me why I didn't go to McGill or UofT. Umm they are not the only schools in Canada!

I'm surprised people don't know what RIM is. Although, I suppose I'm not surprised.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

The other day 2 canvassers for a political party came to our door. When I told them that I can't vote because I'm not a US citizen, the woman asked what country I have citizenship in.

"Canada," I replied.

"That's where we'll be moving if [our candidate] doesn't win."

All the responses I've had to my being Canadian have been friendly. Some people comment on how it must be colder where I'm from, but I don't expect everyone to know that Vancouver's climate is much milder than the rest of Canada.

Knowledge of the visa process isn't common knowledge here, but it isn't in Canada either. And the media is somewhat to blame for that. For example, on a rerun of Will and Grace, Will was interested in a guy who had to return to Canada because his visa was expiring in a few days. (What visa?) The problem was solved when Grace married him so that he could stay. All he had to do was marry a US citizen, right?

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

This is my experience as well.

Many USians friends are telling me that they will be moving to Canada if McCain wins.

And what do I tell them?

Not until after me!!

I'm kidding (a little), and what I actually say is there truly is no huge difference when you live in a world of possibility.

Keep pouring (L) on all, and know that we (yes, we the people) have power no matter what happens.

We just need to get off our butts and assert ourselves.

In other words, if enough people want such and such a thing to happen, perhaps some pressure on the local government will get that ball rolling.

Also there are bigger fish to fry these days than a dinky election!

:star:

And yes too much ignorance on the subject of becoming an instant US citizen as soon as you marry a USian.

Bah!

Vancouver is waaaaaaay warmer than Chicago!!!!! There is no true Winter there.

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

I agree that, in general, Canadians seem more accepting of other cultures and things compared to us. Just a friendly attitude in general.

I think that most people also assume, along with the whole simple immigration idea, that marrying someone automatically grants them citizenship. I get that one a LOT.

Sometimes I try to explain the process, but usually they don't want to hear it, so I end up simplifying it down into a few steps.

Yup.

I have never seen a course to help get rid of your accent in Canada!

:angry:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.