• Wow, this must be different for you
    • You're a Canadian "eh"
    • Oh, which part of Canada?
    • The weather here must be different for you
    • Wow, that's a long way
    • Are your documents in English?
    • All of the above

100 posts in this topic

We live in northern New Hampshire, about an hour or so from the Quebec border. So people here automatically assume hubby is from Quebec and speaks French. They look confused when he says he is from British Columbia ... like, where is that???

He also gets, oh at least the weather is a bit warmer here. Then he has to explain that living in Vancouver, the weather was quite temperate and actually it is much colder and snows more here in NH.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I could go on for awhile with the words they dont complete in the South.

how 'bout the ones they add extra syllables or letters to, like "masonAry" or "mandantory" or my favourite, "chimLey" :wacko: My hubby drives me nuts with that #### :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bermuda
Timeline
I have been quite amazed that so many people here that I meet have been to Canada. And I haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about Canada.

Do those folks have Cajun ancestry? I had quite a few friends of French Canadian descent who had relatives in Louisiana via the whole Acadia to LA migration.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've got it pretty easy. My hometown in the Niagara region of Ontario is warmer than my hubby's in North Dakota. Plus being a border state, they see plenty of Canadians passing through. I have yet to have anyone poke fun with 'eh' or 'aboot', and the only reason I believe anyone ever asks me about my familiarity with the french language is because my name is Chantal. My first question is usually along the line of "Where abouts in Canada?", and everyone seems to know their geography because my answer is most often followed up with a joking "Oh, so you actually moved FURTHER north!" They seem to joke about themselves a lot more, saying things like "You must REALLY be in love, because no one willingly moves to North Dakota".

CSC
I-130

2008-03-12: NOA1 issued
2008-08-12: NOA2 issued

2008-08-18: NVC Received
2008-09-30: Case Complete
2008-10-16: Interview date assigned

2008-12-04: Interview
2008-12-08: Visa in hand

2008-12-11: POE: Buffalo NY Land Border Crossing
2008-12-23: Applied for SSN at local office (no record despite checking box to apply on DS-230)
2008-12-30: Welcome to the United States letter received
2009-01-06: SSN Received
2009-01-06: Greencard Received

2014-01-23: Sent N-400 package via express delivery

2014-01-27: NOA-1
2014-02-07: Biometric appointment letter mailed
2014-02-19: Biometric appointment
2014-02-21: Placed in line for interview scheduling

2014-03-25: Interview

2014-07-25: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

I can't think of any reason to move to North Dakota ;)

I keep trying to explain to people at work that a great lot of the United States is actually further north than where I'm from, and they just don't get it. I s'pose they've never seen a map :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I'm lucky because a lot of people here (and most of our friends here) have been to Canada so I don't get too many weird looks.

Other people though (Some of Nick's family members who have never travelled anywhere) ask me some pretty dumb things...I just laugh.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The one she gets most often is "Oh, where is that?"

Being that she is from Halifax, Nova Scotia...she has even got the response "That's in Europe right?" I guess that since its a

maritime province and being on the far eastern seaboard puts it out of people's minds.

USA_a.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never been asked anything stupid really. All of R's friends obviously know where Toronto is, a lot of them have been there. Being that NYC is pretty multi-cultural, being Canadian is nothing to them.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have been quite amazed that so many people here that I meet have been to Canada. And I haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about Canada.

Do those folks have Cajun ancestry? I had quite a few friends of French Canadian descent who had relatives in Louisiana via the whole Acadia to LA migration.

I actually haven't met very many Cajuns. It seems most Cajuns tend to stick to themselves in their areas and don't take kindly to outsiders.

I find most people fascinated that I would move from Canada to the U.S. They know about our healthcare system, so they always want to enter a lively discussion about that.

Most people I've met have been to Canada, and have nothing but the most nicest of things to say about Canada, and the people they meet.

The only concern I have is that more than half of the people I meet do not know where Saskatchewan is. Unless they have some specific reason for knowing where it is, then it's not until I geographically point out to them where it is, do they say..." oh yes...Saskatchewan!". Then, nothing. :lol: Everyone has flown over it of course.

Anytime it comes up that I'm from Canada, from a new group of people, or older acquaintenances, everyone has been SO welcoming.

carlahmsb4.gif

Some really funny and some really troubling responses here.

I cannot handle any kind of small-mindedness/ignorance.

At least if someone doesn't know something, they could ask...or keep their mouth shut.

One older crew-mate calls me Saskatchewan.

I find it hilarious.

He had an acquaintance from there and so....Canada is so small, dontcha know?! :lol:

Windsor, ON and Sarnia, ON are the two of the most southern Canadian cities, and on the same parallel/latitude as mid to south Oregon.

Northern Maine and Northern Washington are high latitudes.

Portland, ME is the same latitude approximately as Yarmouth, N.S.

And so....

Geography is fun. :thumbs:

Typical questions:

What is the weather like in Canada?

Do I feel warmer here in Chicago? Oh you must be used to it...(they say)...

Bah!

My answer to make it simple is this:

do you know or have you ever been to Seattle?

Well, Vancouver is a tiny bit North of there...and no there is no real Winter there.

It's a rain forest. Green and lush.

The thing is, is the more people you talk to, the more you want to just stop talking (and listening).

Ha!

A few good (great) people in my world are more than enough. (L)

Oh, yeah baby, I am so ready to move West.

Now to get my sweetie on board....

Hee, hee.

:star:

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We live near Seattle, and everyone here knows Canada fairly well and usually tell me of several Canadians they know/work with/etc. But with few exceptions, everyone makes a comment with the word "eh" or "aboot" and/or "hoser" or "Moosehead beer".....the MacKenzie brothers were SOOO long ago now, I wonder if these Americans will ever GET OVER IT!! :lol:

But my husband and I have both noticed one funny thing....people I meet are always friendly and chatting until they hear that I'm from Canada and make their little "Canadian joke" - then they get quite reserved, like they aren't quite sure I speak or understand the language, or know quite what to say to me. ....it's very odd. The other thing is most people comment how I must like it a whole lot better here :huh: I tell them I love the States, but Canada is a wonderful place to live, too. I can't quite figure that one out.

I'm just such a happy camper to finally be here with my husband!!!!!!

N-400 Citizenship

Sept. 13, 2011 N-400 sent to Phoenix Lockbox

Sept. 20, 2011 Check cashed

Sept. 23, 2011 NOA rec'd for N-400

Oct. 17, 2011 Biometrics appointment

Nov. 29, 2011 Interview - PASSED! 3yr anniversary not until 12/09/11

Dec. 13, 2011 Status update received "Oath Scheduled"

Dec. 15, 2011 Letter received with Oath date

Dec. 27, 2011 OATH! US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Same here Carla.

Most people know where Maine is, so I tell them its right near that.

:lol: That's what I say.. North of Maine..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.