WhidbeyGirl

New here, and now so sad

37 posts in this topic

I am getting married next month and had hoped my husband wouldn't be too far behind me coming back to the US. After reading through some posts I am now so discouraged and sad. I didn't realize it is going to take so long. I won't even be able to visit him as it's so expensive.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I am getting married next month and had hoped my husband wouldn't be too far behind me coming back to the US. After reading through some posts I am now so discouraged and sad. I didn't realize it is going to take so long. I won't even be able to visit him as it's so expensive.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I felt that way too in the beginning, but trust me, it is so worth it in the end. I tried actually to live in Egypt, but I only lasted about 9 months, couldn't find a decent job. Have you thought about trying that? You could potentially live there during the process. Hang in there hun! Everything will work out for the best!

Heather

Our Timeline

2003- Romani and Heather meet online

June 2006- meet face to face in Cairo, Egypt

The rest is our timeline!

5572408_bodyshot_300x400.gif 5574765_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hang in there. I've been in the same situation last yr. We started processing the papers in August last year and by March 2008 we got approved. Our case was complete in about 7 months only and now we're together. Just be patient... :thumbs:

K3 Visa Timeline

08-25-2007 -------> I-129 and I-130 sent

10-03-2007 -------> NOA1 both for I-129 and I-130

03-10-2008 -------> NOA2 both for I-129 and I-130, assigned case number MNL200858xxxx

04-09-2008 -------> Received Appointment letter for interview

05-20/21-2008 ---> Medical exam at St. Lukes

05-27-2008 -------> Interview at Manila Embassy

06-25-2008 -------> Visa was delivered

07-20-2008 -------> Flight to CA LAX (PR 102)

Adjustment Of Status Timeline

09-11-2008 -------> Sent AOS Packet (I-485, I-765, I-864)

09-20-2008 -------> NOA both for I-485 and I-765

09-30-2008 -------> Received biometrics appointment in the mail (I-485 and I-765)

10-10-2008 -------> Biometrics appointment at 1 PM - Done

12-01-2008 -------> CRIS - EAD card production ordered

12-04-2008 -------> CRIS - EAD card production ordered.. again?

12-09-2008 -------> CRIS - EAD approval notice sent

12-11-2008 -------> EAD card received in the mail

12-12-2008 -------> Applied SSN

12-19-2008 -------> Received SS card in the mail

waiting for new updates....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do something you enjoy while the waiting for your visa. are you working?have a quality with your family cause when you get here its expensive too to go back and fourth. I understand the situation but patience really paid off. hang in there and everything will be fine..

02-16-06- met online

07-20-07- first visit to phils

07-26-07-engagement

07-28-07- back to US

09-14-07- submitted I-129F

09-25-07- NOA1

10-25-07 -NOA2

11-01-07- My fiance got a letter from NVC that within 2 weeks Manila Consulate will send my Packet

11-20-07- Date of my Packet, actually the real one was earlier but it was sent somewhere, good thing my Fiance arrived to spent Thanksgiving day in Phils and we checked the status in Embassy.

11-23-07- Medical though the exact date was Nov. 29..

12-06-07- Interview

12-16-07- Visa in hand

01-16-98- Attended CFO

01-18-08- Arrived in USA , POE-Guam

03-16-08- Wedding

AOS

04-17-08- Submitted the AOS

04-24-08- NOA

05-13-08- Biometrics

05-27-08- Transferred to California

06-14-08- EAD card received

07-21-08- Date of AOS approval but got the letter July 24

No Interview, No RFE and Additional Vaccination( just used the SLEC medical docs)

07-22-08- Date of Permanent REsident CARd , got it July 29

07-31-08- apply for SSN

08-05-08-SSN delivery

01-12-09- First day of work(Thanks to Marielle and Mario)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Welcome to VJ, and know that you are not alone....

Glad to have another member, and don't be too sad, you never really know how long your journey will take. There are good people here, and we all understand what you are going through...

Linda

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You will get tons of support from other VJ members at every step. Most people here felt exactly same way as they visited this site, but you get involve in the VJ community all member will support each other and at the end you would feel much better and have a great satisfaction upon achievement. :thumbs:

USCIS

02/01/2008 : Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lock Box via Priority Mail

02/04/2008 : I-130 reached Chicago 2:18 AM

02/19/2008 : NOA1

02/20/2008 : $355 check cashed

02/25/2008 : Case available to view online

08/26/2008 : Email: Case will transfer to CSC

08/27/2008 : Notice Sent: Case will transfer to CSC

09/04/2008 : Email: Case arrived and pending at CSC

09/05/2008 : Touch

09/08/2008 : Touch

09/23/2008 : Approved !!! (217 days | 31 weeks) from NOA 1 (235 days | 33 weeks) from file

09/24/2008 : Touch

NVC

09/29/2008 : NVC received Case & Case # assigned

10/03/2008 : DS-3032 & I-864 Fee bill generated

10/04/2008 : E-mail for Choice of Agent sent

10/09/2008 : I-864 Fee bill instruction received in mail

10/09/2008 : I-864 Fee bill ($70) submitted online

10/10/2008 : I-864 Fee bill shows status "PAID"

10/14/2008 : I-864EZ Package sent via priority mail

10/16/2008 : I-864EZ Package reached NVC

10/16/2008 : E-mail for Choice of Agent accepted. (12 days)

10/16/2008 : IV Fee bill ($400) submitted online

10/17/2008 : IV Fee bill accepted

11/13/2008 : DS-230 Package mailed to NVC (Had to wait for PCC)

11/18/2008 : DS-230 Package reached NVC

11/21/2008 : Case Complete (53 days | 7 Weeks) at NVC

Consulate

01/06/2009 : Medical

01/27/2009 : Interview (361 days | 51 weeks) from file

02/09/2009 : POE (Newark)

02/21/2009 : SSN Received

02/25/2009 : Welcome Letter Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

you should've looked into this immigration thing even b4 getting married.. and then decide whether you can handle it or not...but knowing you'll go through this hassle just once in a life time... and if u really love him u will make it happen... it's hard in the beginning, and then you'll cope... I understand how u feel, but this is how things work @ USCIS!

The Next Step is Removing Conditions!

0820120349b40a7377e80.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

No visits during the months long visa process can make showing a bona fide ongoing relationship pretty difficult. If you can't, you can't but I'd be adjusting priorities if at all possible.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I'm also new here. I joined VJ because I was tired of dealing with this situation and coping with it alone. I think you'll find you can vent here, get advice here, and hopefully reading what others are going through etc... it will help you cope better and the time pass faster.

And yes, I agree with the above post. If you don't visit, you might have trouble when you have to prove a bona fide marriage.

Well, some of us are more well off financially than others. It is all I can do to just get her here because of the expense, although I do make above the required 125% of poverty line. I am sure, from what I have read, there are many, many here who have had success in bringing their spouse here, without the chance to visit in between time.

But there are other ways to show bonafide marriage too. Some of these are stated as follows:

1. Affidavit Sworn To by Third Party of Marital Relationship

(a pastor at my church provided marriage counselling for us via the internet. He also evaluated tests he had us take and gave feedback, to help us get off on the right foot. So he is one person I got a sworn affidavit from. Another is a long time friend who has been in regular contact with my wife as well, who knows first hand this entire journey I have been on.)

2. Joint Ownership of Property

(I added my wife to my car title. So now she is the co-owner of my car. it is also registered in both our names).

3. Joint Tenancy

(she is on my aprtment lease along with me).

4. Co-mingling of financial resources

(she has been added to some things at my bank, such as the signature card. Also, we have records to show her paying for my trip there, the airfare and the hotel. And we have the records of me paying other expenses since then. I send her money, and we both work hard to get through this, each contributing what we can, together).

Photos, wedding vows, letters, phone bills... these things also help establish bonafide marriage.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Well, some of us are more well off financially than others. It is all I can do to just get her here because of the expense, although I do make above the required 125% of poverty line. I am sure, from what I have read, there are many, many here who have had success in bringing their spouse here, without the chance to visit in between time.

But there are other ways to show bonafide marriage too. Some of these are stated as follows:

1. Affidavit Sworn To by Third Party of Marital Relationship

(a pastor at my church provided marriage counselling for us via the internet. He also evaluated tests he had us take and gave feedback, to help us get off on the right foot. So he is one person I got a sworn affidavit from. Another is a long time friend who has been in regular contact with my wife as well, who knows first hand this entire journey I have been on.)

2. Joint Ownership of Property

(I added my wife to my car title. So now she is the co-owner of my car. it is also registered in both our names).

3. Joint Tenancy

(she is on my aprtment lease along with me).

4. Co-mingling of financial resources

(she has been added to some things at my bank, such as the signature card. Also, we have records to show her paying for my trip there, the airfare and the hotel. And we have the records of me paying other expenses since then. I send her money, and we both work hard to get through this, each contributing what we can, together).

Photos, wedding vows, letters, phone bills... these things also help establish bonafide marriage.

It's important responses be relevant. Senagal is not the UK. 2, 3 and 4 above were likely accomplished after arrival, not before a visa interview. As for 1. just what is somebody going to put into an affidavit for a newlywed that convinces others they have a bona fide ongoing relationship when they haven't seen each other since the honeymoon.

To clarify, I wasn't referring to any evidence included with the petition but rather at the visa interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi WhidbeyGirl!

I found this website after marrying my husband & my heart sank to my feet when I read some of these posts!

Other posts had my heart beating with happiness as I read so many love stories of couples from all walks of life, from all over the world & what they've endured. The people here are amazing and their advice will get through those dark days.

If this is the path you choose & want a life with your husband~to~be, follow your heart. Now that you know what your in for in regards to process, timelines & expenses - approach it like you would approach anything else - PLAN! & stay in touch with this community - it really helps!

Good luck to you & welcome to VJ!

The Story of Prince & his Angel

Our Marriage in Ariana, Tunisia - May 1, 2008

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

U.S. Embassy: Tunis, Tunisia

The Journey through VSC:

I-130: June 09, 2008 to April 03, 2009

I-129F: August 5, 2008 to April 03, 2009

The Journey through NVC:

Received by NVC: April 04, 2009

Left NVC: April 13, 2009

The Journey through the Consulate:

April 24, 2009 - May 14, 2009

May 19, 2009 Interview Day @ 11:00 am - PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 Picked up VISA

June 26, 2009 Prince flies to America, arrives to JFK - exactly 18 months from the day we met!!

The Journey through AOS:

May 05, 2010 - mailed I-485

May 11, 2010 - text message stating application received

May 13, 2010 - NOA1 for AOS

May 17, 2010 - Biometrics letter rec'd

June 10, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 03, 2010 - AOS @10:45 am - "conditional" approval pending corrected medical form by Civil Surgeon

Sept 8, 2010 - AOS Approved for 10 year Greencard!!!

WOW!!! THANK YOU all so very much. I only got 1 email notification of a response so I was SHOCKED to see all of you.

Right now this whole process is so overwhelming. I had been on the US Embassy website and it just seemed like it was filing the I-130 and then everything was good to go. I am SO glad my doctor told me to come here!!

The 125% above poverty level really caught me off guard, I don't make that right now, but there is a very good chance I'll be working for local law enforcement by the time I get back from my honeymoon and it pays more than double what I make now so I'm not too worried about that part.

Someone asked if I'd be willing to move to Senegal, I would LOVE to, but I have 3 children who live with me right now and it's just not possible. Although I will look for possible employment while over there next month, who knows maybe there will be something I can do there.

Thank you again for all the responses and support.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Blessings Whidbeygirl!

Welcome to VJ and I must echo the previous responses. WE ALL have had to take this journey and some are still going through it. You will find support here. We understand your feelings. Feel free to vent and ask questions and anyone of us will try our best to answer your questions as best we can.

Everyone's process is different so you may see some who took over 1 year to get approvals and some who are less than 9 months. I started in January and my husband was here at the end of August. The biggest thing is being prepared and having all of the documentation necessary to make your journey smooth.

Stay focused and pray. We are here for you.

Shawna

LOVE IS UNIVERSAL!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.