Lili

"Happily ever after"

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'd say that "happily ever after" is a fantasy more than a myth.

I guess my view of relationships is practical. I don't believe in the concept of a lifelong soul mate, for example (then again, I don't believe in fate or souls either. Hmm...).

The idea that a marriage should be based on love and compatibility is a relatively recent development, which explains away the high divorce rate pretty well. For many couples, a relationship is an experience that runs a course; fall in love, have great years together, grow apart, relationship ends. Start over with someone else. Somtimes it's worth it for both parties to keep it together, and sometimes it isn't.

Any number of things can drive people apart, and keep them together. There are so many variables.

I'm not really a romantic in the dictionary definition sense of the word. :blush:

An unhappy marriage isn't necessarily a sign that the relationship has run its course, but rather an indication that both spouses need to modify their behavior within the relationship where both are getting their needs met.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

depends on your definition of "happiness" and if that definition is realistic....i know one thing, it sucks being a widow, been there done that...who do you share simple things with ie sip of tea, look at the mountain, or sunrise. etc with. are you able to enjoy these things when ;you are alone. if you do marry again the person is a stranger until you able to realize his her uniqueness. because no one can be replaced... If you just married for sexy love then how long will this last..many factors to consider in "hapiness" or ever after. Allah does not make true give all die all connections with others, this special place is kept for HIM alone. So the persuit of true Happiness ends and begins @ death..

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
I always hear from my coworkers -who have been married for at least a decade-, how they are not really happily married, how they'd rather work than being home all day with their retired husbands.

It made me think...I am extremely happy with my husband and if we could, we would spend more time together. But does married life goes all down hill from there? Do people fall out of love, in a routine or love is not made to last?

I have yet to see one long time married couple says it was the best decision they ever made.

Inputs?

you have old co-workers ...

do their husbands have a life? Or are they co-dependent ?

I'd say that "happily ever after" is a fantasy more than a myth.

I guess my view of relationships is practical. I don't believe in the concept of a lifelong soul mate, for example (then again, I don't believe in fate or souls either. Hmm...).

The idea that a marriage should be based on love and compatibility is a relatively recent development, which explains away the high divorce rate pretty well. For many couples, a relationship is an experience that runs a course; fall in love, have great years together, grow apart, relationship ends. Start over with someone else. Somtimes it's worth it for both parties to keep it together, and sometimes it isn't.

Any number of things can drive people apart, and keep them together. There are so many variables.

I'm not really a romantic in the dictionary definition sense of the word. :blush:

An unhappy marriage isn't necessarily a sign that the relationship has run its course, but rather an indication that both spouses need to modify their behavior within the relationship where both are getting their needs met.

That's true. My scenario was a simplified version of what happens in many relationships, certainly not all.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
I always hear from my coworkers -who have been married for at least a decade-, how they are not really happily married, how they'd rather work than being home all day with their retired husbands.

It made me think...I am extremely happy with my husband and if we could, we would spend more time together. But does married life goes all down hill from there? Do people fall out of love, in a routine or love is not made to last?

I have yet to see one long time married couple says it was the best decision they ever made.

Inputs?

lol Old coworkers nah...

Their husbands have a life, earn more than their spouses... it just saddens me to see people who let life in general, get in the way of their relationships. I think it is what happened in my coworker's cases. They let kids, jobs and other things get in the way of their relationship and I do believe after a while, there is a point of no return.

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Inputs?

lol Old coworkers nah...

Their husbands have a life, earn more than their spouses... it just saddens me to see people who let life in general, get in the way of their relationships. I think it is what happened in my coworker's cases. They let kids, jobs and other things get in the way of their relationship and I do believe after a while, there is a point of no return.

I agree...although it's not too hard to take your relationship for granted...everyone does from time to time, but hopefully, most married couples throw some cold water on their faces and work/fight hard to make the relationship a priority, even above children.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
“Marriage is not a love affair. A love affair is a totally different thing. A marriage is a commitment to that which you are. That person is literally your other half. And you and the other are one. A love affair isn’t that. That is a relationship of pleasure, and when it gets to be unpleasurable , it’s off. But a marriage is a life commitment, and a life commitment means the prime concern of your life. If marriage is not the prime concern, you are not married.â€

~ Joseph Campbell

I like this Joseph Campbell guy

heh

I was just having this conversation with a coworker.

To me, living happily ever after is going through this life, good bad and ugly...with my husband.

He is my partner and best friend. I know that giddy feeling will fade and we will be left with true,committed love!

hee hee, pretty mushy but I cant help it :D

Lisa

Edited by Y_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Inputs?

lol Old coworkers nah...

I think Natty is referring to your speaking of your coworker's husbands being retired...most people don't retire till they are older.

Inputs?

lol Old coworkers nah...

I agree...although it's not too hard to take your relationship for granted...everyone does from time to time, but hopefully, most married couples throw some cold water on their faces and work/fight hard to make the relationship a priority, even above children.

So true that it should be this way, but so many get it backwards.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't know about you but I don't discuss my marital problems with the people I work with. It's just a gossip pot that will boil endlessly. I keep my private life private, as hellish or as wonderful as it may be.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hmmm, well not *literally* your other half!

ETA: Yeah, I read it again, and I like it even less. If marriage is not your prime concern, then you're not married? Huh?

Other half means you are half of something larger than yourself - the marriage, which should take priority over the self. The paradox is that both partners, if they put each others needs before their own, then both partners are getting their needs met through the marriage.

...also, I think he meant that if you truly aren't committed to the marriage, then it's not really a marriage...that makes sense to me.

What you're saying makes sense (to an extent), but I don't think that's what he said. If you ask someone what their "prime concern" is, would they really say, "my marriage"? Maybe they would say, "my spouse". I guess thinking of marriage as an entity itself is not really how I look at it - as though the "marriage" is somehow separate from the two people involved in it.

It's metaphorical but makes logical sense when described as something larger than ourselves (the marriage), IMO. Our self preservation and ego can work against that. Also, if the primary concern was your spouse, you could actually be working against the marriage if your focus was primarily on them and not on the welfare and well being of the marriage itself.

I'll have to disagree with you that it makes logical sense. It seems like more of a spiritual or religious standpoint.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

My parents have been married 26 years(oops or 25? hehe) and they are still each others best friend and have not regretted it one day of their lives. There are a lot of miserable people in the world who want to rain on your parade. All you can do is take one day at a time to prove that there are still happily married people out there. Only time will show people, people saying "We're so happy" doesn't mean anything to them.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I also think movies and the media have a lot to do with it. They portray marriage and relationships as these wonderful fairy tales that are unlikely to happen in real life. Yes there's love but the butterflies go away with time, it's a natural thing for that to happen. So then what? You focus on the good and remind yourself that the bad will go away with time.

Many people don't have the patience to work on their relationship so that's why they take the easy way out.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Happily ever after, prince charming, sleeping beauty, etc belong to Disney

That's the reason why there are so many divorces nowadays, people idolize their partners and when they find out they are humans with flaws and NOT perfect, their bubble pops and their marriage pops.

Ups, downs, turns, disagreements, arguments will take place, and more because you are cohabitating with a person other than yourself. Point here is to learn from each other's mistakes, understand that life and especially your partner isn't perfect and love each other ;)

That's what I tell my friends when they express their feelings like "Ohhh he/she is perfect, I have never found somebody like her/him, our marriage will be perfect"

I just tell them, "wait 1 year of living together and let's see if the word perfect is still mentioned" :sleepy:

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

The butterflies go away, but they don't necessarily stay away. There's nothing like cruising along in the mundane (even boring) "old married couple" routine with your best friend, and then one day looking over at him and suddenly feeling a zap in your heart like you're 17 again, OMG. :luv: True love is patient and kind and steadfast and all those things that philosophers have mulled over forever, but there's no reason not to get those butterflies from time to time, even in the fifth or sixth decade together.

And I agree, perfect is a very bad word. Another media-driven pitfall is the idea that the hero (or heroine) will somehow read their beloved's mind, and say or do just the right thing at just the right moment -- perfect words, perfect gifts, perfect responses, every conflict tied up neatly with a bow at the end of 30 minutes or an hour and a half. If hubby and I could read minds, we'd each be in a different line of work.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.