SweetSugahDumplin

Yardies, at home and a farrin (part 8)

6,160 posts in this topic

So working in the USC for tenyrs/or the required number of work credits will allow you to collect SS retirement benefits. I don't think alot of people are aware of this, so they are leaving money on the table when they are 65 or older.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey, Sus. Thanks today. That Andy was getting on my nerves. I had to step away. You said what I was thinking.

Andie and the whole "skipping the process"? Ugh I had to stay away.

Yeah mon.

I tried to be diplomatic - but it seems my point was still missed. JG, you saw what happens when I am stressed and get into a heated debate - :girlwerewolf2xn: looks like a smiling baby compared to me!

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I tried to be diplomatic - but it seems my point was still missed. JG, you saw what happens when I am stressed and get into a heated debate - :girlwerewolf2xn: looks like a smiling baby compared to me!

:unsure:

What point Sus? What in the heck are ya'll talking about?

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:unsure:

What point Sus? What in the heck are ya'll talking about?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154405

Timeline

Let me give you the story that always sticks in my head of why you should become a USC as soon as you are able:

I worked on a case for an elderly man who had come over here as a child, was a greencard holder - he just kept renewing his gc, and built a life here in the US - owned houses, etc... his kids kept bugging him to get his citizenship - So he applied - it turned out he had two minor arrests when he was in college - stupid kid stuff, but those arrests were deemed to be crimes of moral turpitude, and they put him in deportation proceedings!

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline
So, dance, if an GC holder works in the USA, legally, but never aquire USC and leaves before he/she reaches retirement age, at retirement age can they request their SS retirement benefits?

as far as retirement.. u have to have worked long enough to receive 40 credits. If u are working full time that is usually gained in 10 years (u get maximum of 4 credits each year)

so he could leave and as long as he has his 40 he is ELIGIBLE..u have to be RESIDING in the US at the time of your application for benefits..

now he COULD leave the country and still receive his benefits, US citizens can no matter what (as long as its nowhere like Cuba) BUT legal residents usually have rules imposed on them like having to come back to the US for a specified amount of time (1 mnth every 6 mths) in order to continue to receive their check..

so without having to go through hoops, US citizenship is best if one planned on moving out of the country..

Timeline

Thanks Yards, I was like who in the heck is Andy?

ROC

Filed: Timeline
Let me give you the story that always sticks in my head of why you should become a USC as soon as you are able:

I worked on a case for an elderly man who had come over here as a child, was a greencard holder - he just kept renewing his gc, and built a life here in the US - owned houses, etc... his kids kept bugging him to get his citizenship - So he applied - it turned out he had two minor arrests when he was in college - stupid kid stuff, but those arrests were deemed to be crimes of moral turpitude, and they put him in deportation proceedings!

It happens all the time. Seen it happen to family members. Same way I didn't know your US citizenship (naturalized) can be revoked. I learned that this year.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
So working in the USC for tenyrs/or the required number of work credits will allow you to collect SS retirement benefits. I don't think alot of people are aware of this, so they are leaving money on the table when they are 65 or older.

you don't think alot of people know they are eligible for retirement??

def sounds like a GOOD reason to me..

Timeline
My MIL just called me and asked if I could bring her some butter and cooking oil when I come down in NOV. Now I am aware that food cost more in JA, than here in the USA, but does it cost somemuch more that I need to be sneaking butter into JA. I would rather go to the Super Plus and buy it, if we are only talking about a couple of dollars more.

With these new rules being put onto your luggages for traveling, such as paying for it, I would like to save my luggage for clothes and shoes. I'm going to call the Super Plus store and see how much Butter cost.

You could check out their web site.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline

Roxie,

don't bother to bring the buttah or cooking oil, they're going to take it out of your suitcase and throw it away.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Dance, yes, I do think alot of foreigners don't think they are eligible for retirement benefits thru SS, onc ethey reached the right age. If they left before age 65, they were not asking about what benefits they will be eligible for at the retirement age. Note, most people aren't aware that SS retirement benefits are based on credits not how many years you have worked.

Timeline
Roxie,

don't bother to bring the buttah or cooking oil, they're going to take it out of your suitcase and throw it away.

I'm bringing some food. If they throw it away I'm going to be pissed.

ROC

Timeline
Dance, yes, I do think alot of foreigners don't think they are eligible for retirement benefits thru SS, onc ethey reached the right age. If they left before age 65, they were not asking about what benefits they will be eligible for at the retirement age. Note, most people aren't aware that SS retirement benefits are based on credits not how many years you have worked.

oh I am sorry, i should have known u were talking about nonUSC's..

u just might be right, I mean SSA does try to send out a yearly estimate to each wage earner explaining what that person is eligible to receive as far as retirement, disability and survivor benefits based on their earnings.

Of course if u don't get the estimate regularly and don't even understand what it is then u could get lost in the cracks..

u are right..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.