AlHayatZween

Dear Spouses of Moroccans

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We got married in a local masjid in the US three days before our civil ceremony. There were absolutely NO problems. The president of the masjid talked with both of us and then the imam performed the ceremony before Friday prayers. The imam and the president of the Islamic Society were our witnesses. We got a beautifully printed contract signed by the both of them and the both of us.

As for registration, a lot of that has to do with what your plans are for the future. Mostly it has to do with wanting to live long term in Morocco and / or having inheritance / family law rights.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I think there are two issues going on here. 1) They are already leagally married, but their civil ceremony to satisfy US requirments for marriage will not be recognized by the Moroccan government. so 2) They need to have a ceremony in the mosque, sort of a "religious ceremony" so that the Mooccan government will recogize the marriage.

Yes, that's it...

We were married religiously in Morocco, but never received the proper documents because of issues with my Carte du Sejour and my husband's Carte National, and after a few months of back and forth, i eventually had to return to the US... we were left in limbo, and decided to go the K1 route.

But here's an update:

We went to a different mosque and performed the marriage here in Brooklyn. It was very nice and everyone was very friendly. They did not issue us any documents, however, because they said that we had the civil ceremony first, and that should be enough for the consulate (inchallah). The Imam said, that if we had the Islamic marriage first, then they issue a document...

So that's what i have so far... Will let you know if anything changes... i'm sending in what we have to the consulate... i really hope they approve it, or do what ever they are supposed to do with it...

As for registration, a lot of that has to do with what your plans are for the future. Mostly it has to do with wanting to live long term in Morocco and / or having inheritance / family law rights.

:yes: Yes, we are keeping the open the option of living long term in Morocco... so for us, it is quite important the registration...

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I went to the Moroccan Consulate in NYC with my civil marriage certificate and they said that in order to register the marriage I needed a Islamic Marriage Certificate from a Mosque. I called the Mosque on 96th street and 3rd avenue and they asked me for a new marriage permit to be able to perform the Islamic Marriage. In NYC, you can marriage the same person more than one time. So, I got a new marriage permit and went to the Mosque to get married. After the marriage, they gave me a Certificate that I took to the Consulate to register the marriage.

I hope that helps.

Timeline
I went to the Moroccan Consulate in NYC with my civil marriage certificate and they said that in order to register the marriage I needed a Islamic Marriage Certificate from a Mosque. I called the Mosque on 96th street and 3rd avenue and they asked me for a new marriage permit to be able to perform the Islamic Marriage. In NYC, you can marriage the same person more than one time. So, I got a new marriage permit and went to the Mosque to get married. After the marriage, they gave me a Certificate that I took to the Consulate to register the marriage.

I hope that helps.

Yes, thank you, that helps.

But one question: When you say "marriage permit", do you mean, go down to city hall and apply for a whole new license?

(i think i'm going to cry... can't we just be married and that's it?)

love0038.gif

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline

Thank you for the info...

i hate Moroccan bureaucracy. :cry:

love0038.gif

Timeline

Our mosque didn't make us do this. They just did a certificate.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Yes, thanks for the info...

i've been thinking about it... i'll just send in what we have and take it from there, see what the consulate says. The Imam seemed pretty certain that we already have everything we need, so inchallah... the consulate will accept our marriage.

love0038.gif

Timeline

If you're going to send your US marriage certificate - make sure it's translated into Arabic. Any documents you send must be in Arabic - they will not accept English documents ;)

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.