AlHayatZween

Dear Spouses of Moroccans

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Ok, another dumb question.

What if my SO isn't really a practicing Muslim? I mean, he doesn't go to the Mosque and that. Will they still marry us if he's not an active member of the Mosque? (he's not even here yet and yet I'm already thinking of this)

I guess I'm just thinking of my Catholic background and remembering when I baptized one of my Goddaughters, one of the churches my cousin's wife was looking into was really strict and wanted a letter from my Parish saying I was an active member who went to church every Sunday! (which, I wasn't).

I can't imagine they would ask about this. I've heard of several couples that got married by the local imam as soon as the Muslim man arrived here, and I don't remember anyone ever asking about references. Most Muslims believe once a Muslim, always a Muslim, right? I mean you can apostasize, which your SO hasn't, but you can't really "backslide," as some Christians call it? Sorry if I'm off base here. Anyway, I don't think this is something you need worry about. :)

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Ok, another dumb question.

What if my SO isn't really a practicing Muslim? I mean, he doesn't go to the Mosque and that. Will they still marry us if he's not an active member of the Mosque? (he's not even here yet and yet I'm already thinking of this)

I guess I'm just thinking of my Catholic background and remembering when I baptized one of my Goddaughters, one of the churches my cousin's wife was looking into was really strict and wanted a letter from my Parish saying I was an active member who went to church every Sunday! (which, I wasn't).

I can't imagine they would ask about this. I've heard of several couples that got married by the local imam as soon as the Muslim man arrived here, and I don't remember anyone ever asking about references. Most Muslims believe once a Muslim, always a Muslim, right? I mean you can apostasize, which your SO hasn't, but you can't really "backslide," as some Christians call it? Sorry if I'm off base here. Anyway, I don't think this is something you need worry about. :)

Oh I know what you mean. I think most devout Catholics would say they've lost hope with me :devil:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Timeline
Yes he does and he promised to call me asap! Thats whay I am worried LOL
It's 7:30 pm in Morocco. He better have a good excuse for not calling you! Doesn't he know we're all waiting??

:lol:

(F)

yes he does and he knows to call me asap that is why I am worried. Do you thinbk it's bad news?

OMG, I was just talking about all of this to one of my coworkers, and his DAD performs Islamic marriages!!!! So I'm all set.....hahahaa :)

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

now i am wondering???? we married with the judge then the masjiid and witnesses and marriage contract and islamic marriage but we never went back and had it "certified" in the consulate or here.. He isn't here yet insha'allah soon but do i need to do that???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Rajaa,

When he comes, register him with the Moroccan consulate here. If you were married in Morocco your marriage is already on file there. To Morocco you are legally married. Does your husband have his family book? If not have him get that BEFORE he leaves Morocco. With you in it as his wife. That's really all you'll need at this point. If you were legally married in Morocco it's easier to do this stuff than if you have your legal marriage in the US.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
Rajaa,

When he comes, register him with the Moroccan consulate here. If you were married in Morocco your marriage is already on file there. To Morocco you are legally married. Does your husband have his family book? If not have him get that BEFORE he leaves Morocco. With you in it as his wife. That's really all you'll need at this point. If you were legally married in Morocco it's easier to do this stuff than if you have your legal marriage in the US.

"family book" :blink: sorry i don't know what that is????

Timeline

He'll know - it's called "Livret d'etat Civil".

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

We are supposed to be re-re-married again this evening at the local mosque...

Please wish us luck. Will let you know how it goes...

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline
We are supposed to be re-re-married again this evening at the local mosque...

Please wish us luck. Will let you know how it goes...

Good morning, MENA,

Just an update:

We went to the masjid close to our house yesterday, and the Imam who told my husband on Wednesday, that yes, we could do the Islamic ceremony, he just needed to bring me and a few other documents to the masjid on Thursday, then told my husband that no, he couldn't do it... he only leads the prayers ???

On Wednesday, he only spoke to my husband in English (my husband's English is very limited), and last night, the man suddenly spoke Arabic.

i waited outside the masjid for my husband, assuming we were going to proceed with the ceremony, waited until after everyone left after evening prayers, when the Imam exited the masjid, made eye contact with me (and my husband, who was explaining to me that we couldn't get married) and then the man did not say a word and just walked away.

He offered no explanation as to why he couldn't/wouldn't do the ceremony to which he had agreed the night before, and he offered no insight as to where or how we could do this ceremony.

:angry::angry::angry:

love0038.gif

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline

WTH :angry:

:(

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

Timeline

:angry::angry:

It's okay... in frustration, i suggested he just go to the corner store and ask the Yemeni guys what they would do...

They were really nice, and supposedly... inchallah... keeping our fingers crossed... the storeowner and his brothers are supposed to take us to a different mosque tmrw morning... so we'll see.............

We have been trying to get married correctly for both countries US and Morocco for a year and half!!

love0038.gif

Timeline

Yeah..just find a different Mosque. :)

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

Timeline
:angry::angry:

It's okay... in frustration, i suggested he just go to the corner store and ask the Yemeni guys what they would do...

They were really nice, and supposedly... inchallah... keeping our fingers crossed... the storeowner and his brothers are supposed to take us to a different mosque tmrw morning... so we'll see.............

We have been trying to get married correctly for both countries US and Morocco for a year and half!!

Sorry to ask, were you maried in morocco? Did you have the moroccan marriage contract? does the masjid provide any document that will be recognized? I remember one of my friends telling me they (masjids) stopped issuing such certificates, it has to be issued by city hall (Ny city). I would contact the moroccan consulate and get the facts from there. I hope I am not missing the point :blush:

• I-130 SENT 2-19
  • NOA1 RECEIVED 3-03
  • I-129F SENT 3-14
  • NOA1 RECEIVED 3-21
  • NOA2 RECEIVED 10-11
  • NVC CASE COMPLETE 11-21

7927.gif

Timeline

I think there are two issues going on here. 1) They are already leagally married, but their civil ceremony to satisfy US requirments for marriage will not be recognized by the Moroccan government. so 2) They need to have a ceremony in the mosque, sort of a "religious ceremony" so that the Mooccan government will recogize the marriage.

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.