Nik

IMBRA & Adjustment

3 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have two issue's today - not a good start is it? :D Has anyone gotten anything from USCIS regarding IMBRA? It seems as if everything has stopped. I am wanting to be as prepared as possible, but have no clue what will be coming. In addition, I am wondering how much of a delay this will cause my application. I was prepared for a nine month wait, but beyond that I'm done.

(I don't have enough activities to keep me busy beyond nine months)

Second, when my finace does get here - not the hope :luv: I was concerned about adjustments as well. I have read that many had trouble finding work. I was hoping to get him in a job asap. I know this is a double standard even before I say it, but I have a problem going to work everyday and letting a man stay unemployed in my house. (please don't crucify me for it)

For those of you who have been through this, what are some steps I can take to help make him appealing for employment. It doesn't have to be full time, but he has to go to work.

Was there any specific thing done that your foreign mate felt was thoughtful and helped them make the transition?

April 7, 2006 I-129F sent

April 18, 2006 NOA1 Received

April 22, 2006 Touched!

May 30, 2006 Touched (changed my address)

June 12, 2006 Touched ( Didn't call them this time)

July 3, 2006 Touched

July 6, 2006 Touched

July 18, 2006 Touched (Previous touches are about problems with address)

July 20, 2006 Received RFE

July 22, 2006 Retuned RFE

July 27, 2006 Touched

August 1, 2006 Touched

August 3, 2006 Touched

August 3, 2006 Uneasy Touching 107 days since NOA1

August 4, 2006 Touched

August 6, 2006 Touched

August 7, 2006 Touched

September 5, 2006 Touched

September 5, 2006 Approved

September 21, 2006 NVC received approved petition

Filed: Timeline

Nikkis,

You have asked 2 of the $50,000 questions. Both are first on my mind too.

As far as IMBRA, from what I have been reading there is nothing we can do but hurry up and wait.

A lot of VJ members who are further along in the process than we are have spent a lot of time and

energy raming their heads against the brick wall that is USCIS. From what others have been

saying calling USCIS, NVC et al have lead nowhere. I had hoped for my guy to be here by Christmas

but I've just added 1-3 months to that. Not because I have any inside information, just my instinct telling me this. You know how our government works and how it dosent work.

Now as far as working is concerned. Whether your guy will work right away depends again on factors that are not in your control. What are his/her skills, what is his/her drive to find work. Will he accept a low paying job temporarily? How quickly can he/her get a SS#. The variables are long. The best we can do is be prepared with the correct forms and requirements. I have had several conversations with my guy about working and what to do if he cant get to work right away and he is well advised on what is expected of him.

Make sure you have these same conversations.

That all I can offer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
I know this is a double standard even before I say it, but I have a problem going to work everyday and letting a man stay unemployed in my house. (please don't crucify me for it)

Well I want to encourage you to hold your peace on the job issue. My sweetee has been here since Sept. 2005, we are just now getting the approval (was not our expected wait) and he can now go and apply for the SS card.

By no means am I crucifying you, but you must know, my sweetee has been miserable not being able to work. So you may take the approach you mention, but by all means you will need to encourage him on the wait. It won't be easy for you or him, but this is the way it goes. On the other hand, if you can find some "Free" training classes he can attend that doesn't require work papers that may help out. But other than that you may be waiting. I would just mentally prepare for the wait on the work papers. I actually found several things around the home, that I wanted done, to ease his mind (painting, planting trees, etc.)

Good luck on your journey and I hope it is a speedy one.....

7/20/05 - Visa received in the mail

9/13/05 - Arrival to Texas FINALLY!!!

12/2/05 - Wedding

1/25/06 - AOS/EAD sent

1/26/06 - AOS/EAD received at USCIS

02/4/06 - NOA received for EAD

02/6/06 - NOA received for AOS

02/7/06 - ASC appt notice rcv'd

03/2/06 - Biometrics appt.

05/15/06 - AOS Approval (stamp in passport)

05/23/06 - Received Welcome letter

05/26/06 - Green Card arrived in mail yaaaahhooooo

08/10/06 - Hubby 1st job in US

05/15/08 - ??? what next

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.