Travis&Sam

Invite mother-in-law to come and visit her first granddaughter

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

:help: Hi, I am a permanent resident (2 years green card holder) and my husband is a US citizen. I am actually expecting a baby girl soon in Feb next year. I am wondering if my husband and I can bring my mom to come and visit her granddaughter in Feb for about 2 to 3 months? If that would be ok, can you give me any articles , websites or sources where I can find the informations related to this? I really appreciate your help so much....

Thanks a lot,

Thea

P.S. I am from Cambodia and I am heard it's so tough to bring family to visit here. But I hope it's getting better now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your Mother applies for a B2 Visitor Visa at her local US Consulate.

Make sure she makes it clear that she is visiting, not providing child care.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You and your husband can send her an invitation letter explaining that you will cover all of her expenses while she's in the US. You can also send her an I-134. These are just suggestions of what she can show the CO the day of her interview, but it does not guarrantee her a tourist visa.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
Your Mother applies for a B2 Visitor Visa at her local US Consulate.

Make sure she makes it clear that she is visiting, not providing child care.

I really appreciate your response. By the way, I got a few responses from other members too and they mentioned the same things like you that my mother could apply for a tourist visa, but in here you mentioned about the differences between visiting and providing child care. I mean, we actually do not have plans to take her to visit places out side the state where we are living right now, but we do have plans to take her to see many places during the weekends. This is because I and my husband are both working and I really think that my mom could take care her little granddaughter.

I am really confused now and please I do hope you would give me info if you would have some. But do you think, a visitor visa and a visa for providing child care are different?

I hope to hear from you real soon. Thanks you so much!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well you can't work on a visitor's visa and I suppose the concern is whether her looking after the child constitutes as work. I don't think this will be too much of an issue though as long as the embassy is clear she is visiting and will not be working.

Edited by Laura+Tom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have to pay people to provide child care.

If she is providing it she is doing work which could be paid for.

Nobody pays a tourist.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Well you can't work on a visitor's visa and I suppose the concern is whether her looking after the child constitutes as work. I don't think this will be too much of an issue though as long as the embassy is clear she is visiting and will not be working.

I meant for my mom to help guide us with the baby since it is going to be our first child. Thank you for informing us with the right information.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

First, congrats!

We had a baby girl in summer '07. DH is a conditional GC holder. We invited MIL, FIL, and SIL over here right after her birth. They all came on a tourist visa and they stayed for a month. When they got the visas, the issuer even congratulated them. They also took a side trip to NYC while here.

SIL came again this summer and stayed 2 months. This time she took a side trip to Chicago to visit a friend who also lives in the US.

GL and hope it all works out.

:help: Hi, I am a permanent resident (2 years green card holder) and my husband is a US citizen. I am actually expecting a baby girl soon in Feb next year. I am wondering if my husband and I can bring my mom to come and visit her granddaughter in Feb for about 2 to 3 months? If that would be ok, can you give me any articles , websites or sources where I can find the informations related to this? I really appreciate your help so much....

Thanks a lot,

Thea

P.S. I am from Cambodia and I am heard it's so tough to bring family to visit here. But I hope it's getting better now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.