MichelleN

Engagement Over....

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So my fiance came out for a visit last week. This was going to be the first time we'd been together since April and the first time seeing each other on happy terms since last September. We had a huge fight last year and he went back to Japan. During the time, he refused to have anything to do with our daughter who he'd only seen once. About a few weeks after returning to Japan, he contacted me and wanted to try and make things work. I was hesitant at first since we had such a huge falling out the time before. But I decided to give it another try because he was a nice guy and I thought I might still have feelings for him. Most of all though, I wanted our daughter to have a daddy. So we continued our renewed relationship online and started the Visa process. The whole time I was still feeling unsure but was confident it was because we were apart and that as soon as he came out for a visit, everything would blossom.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case...he came out, was completely excited, happy, in love. And I was....sick because I realized then and there I had no feelings for him. It took a few days but I finally got the courage to sit down with him and tell him how I felt. I was just so guilt ridden, I couldn't believe it. I felt like I was ruining his life and the life of our daughter. But...my family told me it wasn't good for her for me to enter into a marriage with someone I didn't love and would be unhappy with. Of course, he was angry, hurt. What really struck me though was his initial thoughts were about the job opportunities he lost because of this process. I told him he could still be part of the baby's life. That I wouldn't stop him or his family from visiting her or contacting her. But he said no. That there was no way for him to be involved in her life since we weren't married. He kept saying that it was my choice to keep him out of her life (ie not marrying him). He also started talking about how he wanted me to sign something saying I wouldn't go after him for child support. And that hurt. But...it wasn't surprising. He said the exact same response before she was born and we had our big fallout.

So...engagement's over and he has so far refused to be part of her life at all. Which I find just...appalling.. He says it's not normal for a father to be part of a child's life when he's not married to the mother. That in Japan, when a woman gets pregnant, it's the man's duty to propose marriage. If she refused, the child was no longer the responsibility of the man, since he had done his part in offering marriage. I know this wasn't why he wanted marriage, he really did love me a lot. Which made this even more difficult on me. I'm just filled with guilt over hurting him so bad but at the same time, angry at him for denying his own daughter and thinking only about money.

I'll be canceling the application soon. Probably hang out here some more but I don't know.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your situation (F), but may be its for the best as your family have said.

Please do take care of yourself and your daughter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Aww Michelle Im so sorry to hear that! Your family is right though, it wouldn’t be good for your daughter or yourself if you were unhappy and entered into marriage. Understandable how you wanted to make it work so your daughter has a father figure around, but if you’re not happy – don’t force it, it may only end up worse later on and may even regret it all together. Besides, where’s his moral sense if he’s not willing to have anything to do with his own child “just because” you choose not to get married? It’s not the child’s fault! If he really did love you enough, he’d respect your decision for you to be happy whilst maintaining to be a good father regardless if he was married to you or not. I just wish the best for you and your daughter!

ROC Journey:-

05.11.2012 -- mail I-751 packet

05.14.2012 -- Packet arrived @ VSC

xx.xx.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1 dated 05.15.2012

05.31.2012 -- Biometric notice date

06.27.2012 -- Biometrics Taken

01.23.2013 -- Card Production Ordered.

01.28.2013 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

sorry to hear about your situation!!

First of all think about what is important to you and your daughter...this is what matters.

in regard of being in your daughter's life.....you do not need to be married to be involved in your daughter's life.

Good luck!

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So my fiance came out for a visit last week. This was going to be the first time we'd been together since April and the first time seeing each other on happy terms since last September. We had a huge fight last year and he went back to Japan. During the time, he refused to have anything to do with our daughter who he'd only seen once. About a few weeks after returning to Japan, he contacted me and wanted to try and make things work. I was hesitant at first since we had such a huge falling out the time before. But I decided to give it another try because he was a nice guy and I thought I might still have feelings for him. Most of all though, I wanted our daughter to have a daddy. So we continued our renewed relationship online and started the Visa process. The whole time I was still feeling unsure but was confident it was because we were apart and that as soon as he came out for a visit, everything would blossom.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case...he came out, was completely excited, happy, in love. And I was....sick because I realized then and there I had no feelings for him. It took a few days but I finally got the courage to sit down with him and tell him how I felt. I was just so guilt ridden, I couldn't believe it. I felt like I was ruining his life and the life of our daughter. But...my family told me it wasn't good for her for me to enter into a marriage with someone I didn't love and would be unhappy with. Of course, he was angry, hurt. What really struck me though was his initial thoughts were about the job opportunities he lost because of this process. I told him he could still be part of the baby's life. That I wouldn't stop him or his family from visiting her or contacting her. But he said no. That there was no way for him to be involved in her life since we weren't married. He kept saying that it was my choice to keep him out of her life (ie not marrying him). He also started talking about how he wanted me to sign something saying I wouldn't go after him for child support. And that hurt. But...it wasn't surprising. He said the exact same response before she was born and we had our big fallout.

So...engagement's over and he has so far refused to be part of her life at all. Which I find just...appalling.. He says it's not normal for a father to be part of a child's life when he's not married to the mother. That in Japan, when a woman gets pregnant, it's the man's duty to propose marriage. If she refused, the child was no longer the responsibility of the man, since he had done his part in offering marriage. I know this wasn't why he wanted marriage, he really did love me a lot. Which made this even more difficult on me. I'm just filled with guilt over hurting him so bad but at the same time, angry at him for denying his own daughter and thinking only about money.

I'll be canceling the application soon. Probably hang out here some more but I don't know.

What a huge load of BS his response to you is. He's trying to force you into something now. That's just not right. And, honestly, it sounds like he now knows what could've been, and not necessarily with the two of you in it, and he wants it. His loss. He does not deserve you or your daughter.

I wish you the best in both of your futures.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Culture or Marriage should not play a role in a father's love toward his CHILD. That is ridiculous. You were right to not want to marry this person, any good man would want to be part of his child's life regardless of ALL other circumstances.

Jonas

Timeline

Hate to hear about the terrible outcome.

On another note. Your story should help others to show why at one time it was considered a good thing to wait to have kids until after one is married. Sure sometimes things happen and one gets pregnant but the culture here in the states for a long time now has been to do whatever whenever and damn the outcome. Now you have a daughter that will have no birth father.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

BS indeed... You are better off without him.

ppe47ozqawgdn.png

HappyDancer is a proud wife to a country boy in KY.

I-130 for Parents (Mom and Dad)

3.15.2014: Mailed I-130 Packet for Mom and Dad

3.21.2014: Received email notification with case # for both petitions; case forwarded to NBC for processing

3.21.2014: Check cashed

3.22.2014: Hard copy NOA1 received

4.08.2014: Both I-130 approved (notification received via email) - It only took three weeks!!!

4.11.2014: Received NOA2 approval notice in the mail.

5.01.2014: Called NVC to ask for status of paperwork. Advised they received both application on 4.28. Advised to call in 30 business days for an update.

6.02.2014: Email notification received from NVC that shows parents' NVC case number and instructions to pay AOS Fee and fill out DS 261.

6.03.2014: Paid AOS fee ($88 for both petitions)

N400:
4.26.2013: Mailed N400 Packet

5.21.2013: Biometrics

7.18.2013: Testing and Interview

9.25.2013: Oath Ceremony

Medical at St. Lukes:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183224-experience-medical-at-st-lukes-extension-clinic/

K1 with K2 Visa Interview:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/184246-usem-interview-on-march-10-at-7am-approved/page__p__2728465#entry2728465

CFO:Review, tips and advise:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/186123-cforeview-tips-and-advise/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

(F) im sorry to hear about ur situation the guy was a jerk in the end but u have a very beautiful little girl i believe there is always a reason for what happens in life sometimes we never know what the reason was but in ur case u have the reason in front of u love her care for her and be happy..........

sara

i think as the father of the baby, you should allow him to see her once in awhile since HE is one of the reason why SHE was made.. Its about choices and chances and it would be good for you not to be selfish about your daughter. This will really and badly hurt your ex fiance... One day you might miss some chances.. If u dont want to marry then its fine but when it comes to the right of your ex fiance, he should see her and ur daughter shud recognize her real father which is ur ex fiance.

GOD bless and u have a cute baby anyways

CITIZENSHIP 06-19-2013 Sent N400 Application (Chicago Lockbox)

06-21-2013 USCIS received my N400 application

06-25-2013 USCIS mailed the NOA1

06-28-2013 USCIS mailed the Biometrics appt

07-01-2013 Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt letter

​07-15-2013 Biometrics Appt.

08-27-2013 Interview/Test passed

10-07-2013 Oath taking

IR-5 MOM AND DAD

02-20-2014 mailed I-130 for my parents

02-24-2014 USCIS received the I-130 docs

03-17-2014 USCIS approved the petition (took 15 days, weekdays only)

03-25-2014 USCIS shipped the approved case to NVC

04-02-2014 NVC received the papers (6 days from the approval date)

05-01-2014 Got the 2 case numbers. (21 days)

05-07-2014 Got an email & paid the AOS fee (4 days); DS-261(Choice of Agent) sent

05-09-2014 AOS status "PAID" (2 days from the date the was paid)

05-22-2014 AOS docs delivered in NVC

06-27-2014 RFE for I864 and I864A (i left the Place of residence blank, 26 days from the date they received the AOS)

06-28-2014 Mailed the corrected forms to NVC

06-30-2014 NVC received the AOS corrected forms

07-01-2014 Received IV Bill Invoice, paid.

07-02-2014 PAID status of the mother

07-07-2014 PAID status of the father

07-08-2014 Mailed the supporting docs

07-10-2014 Supporting docs arrived at NVC

07-11-2014 Submitted DS260 of mother

07-13-2014 Submitted DS260 of father

09-04-2014 Called NVC and the lady said CASE COMPLETE! (136 days total from the day they received the I-130)

09-11-2014 Received an email regarding the Interview (5 days from the day the case was completed)

09-15-2014 Status "In Transit" inCEAC

09-16-2014 Status "Ready" CEAC

10-03-2014 Interview/AP/USEM (no record of their medical,DAD needs to get an NBI explanation letter&new NBI clearance with his "aka"

10-8-2014 Mom called St Lukes and asked about the medical results, they said they submitted it already back in June

10-10-2014 Mom mailed the NBI Clearance of my dad

10-14-2014 NBI clearance delivered in USEM

10-06-2014 Visa Issued CEAC

10-09-2014 Got an email that my dad's visa was issued

10-14-2014 Visa delivered 11-29-2014 POE

12-08-2014 SS Card arrived

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So, are you going to hit him up for child support? You know, sort of a "I don't have feelings for you anymore, but I still have feelings for your money" kind of thing?

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
So, are you going to hit him up for child support? You know, sort of a "I don't have feelings for you anymore, but I still have feelings for your money" kind of thing?

I don't think we know enough of their situation to comment on child support. At the extreme case, perhaps their child was the result of a "perfect storm" where she was still conceived despite using every contraceptive and gizmo. More realistically, she was probably conceived because of a conscious decision to have a child or it was a "heat of the moment" with the knowledge that they intended to marry. In any case, both of them were sure of the fact that a potential result of having sex is to conceive a child. Since they were engaged, I'm assuming (which could be wrong) there was no force/coercion involved.

Most likely both parties were aware of what they were doing.

Why should the man be exempt from financially caring for the child? I'm sure he's in a lot of hurt from being rejected, but his daughter shouldn't be punished for her parents' inability to reconcile. The child shouldn't be a battleground for the parents. Sure, you can hate your ex-partner: make voodoo dolls, burn effigies, or do whatever it takes for your peace of mind, but all that should be set aside when it comes to the child.

That being said, if Michelle happens to be a multi-billionaire and her ex happens to be scratching out a living, I would hope she would not try to punish her ex by trying to take so much of his money as to make his life miserable. I still think he should be accountable for some portion, because I'd loathe to think of folks using the "I'm poor!" excuse to wantonly have lots of children with no consequences.

Edited by LuckyDucky

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think whomever has custody should pay. If you don't want custody, you shouldn't pay. If you are forced to pay, then you should get half custody - and yes, even if that means the child moves to the other side of the planet for 6 months at a time.

If party A doesn't want custody and doesn't want to pay, and party B thinks he/she can't afford it on his/her own, then party B should give the child up for adoption to someone who CAN pay.

These people who want custody AND want someone else to pay are just about as unreasonable as it gets.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I think whomever has custody should pay. If you don't want custody, you shouldn't pay. If you are forced to pay, then you should get half custody - and yes, even if that means the child moves to the other side of the planet for 6 months at a time.

I agree with you that anyone who pays child support gets rights to custody, regardless of where either parent lives.

If party A doesn't want custody and doesn't want to pay, and party B thinks he/she can't afford it on his/her own, then party B should give the child up for adoption to someone who CAN pay.

There's some logical appeal to this and perhaps I can see it working in a perfect society, but I can't see it working in ours.

Who sets the threshold for when someone can afford it? (I'm assuming we don't rely on party B to make their own self-assessment.) Does this income threshold apply towards married couples, too? I would argue that it should apply, unless we can place a monetary value on a married home versus single-family home, but I think that opens up a can of worms.

The idea just seems to make people less accountable for their actions and having the government poke their nose into people's business. If you have a baby and can't take care of it, the government will step in, take it away and put it up for adoption. Personally, I'd rather people take more responsibility for their actions and not less.

Granted, the other extreme, where someone wants custody and have someone else pay for ALL of it, is unreasonable. I think both parents should have some responsibility, though. That's just my opinion, though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.