Qdutchy

K1 approved!!! Now what?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Finally!! I got the sticker in my passport and we are planning to travel to the US mid January! Now my question is what do we do there? Do I stand inline for regular immigration or is there a special area that I have to go to (travelling to Chicago O'Hare if this helps)? I also heard that it might be possible to get a temporary work stamp at the airport when you arrive, what is our best way to get this? I would become violent if I had to be jobless for 6 months waiting for the temporary work permit to come through. Or is it not necessary to wait until the wedding?

Thanks for any responses and good luck for all of you out there still waiting!!!

Q

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Last time when I came in on a K1 they where only really giving out the EAD Stamp at JFK, good for 90 days not that that's worth much as after the 90 days your out the door unless you're married and get very lucky with an EAD. Most likely case is you'll arrive not get the stamp and you'll be waiting a wee while for the EAD. Yes you will be unemployed and it won't be nice.. what's less nice for some is trying to find a job!.. Put that extra time to use and have your wife/husband "Americanize" your CV/Resume for you and while you hunt out possible jobs. Take some time to try and adjust.. the different food isn't always easy to adjust too or the pace in lifestyle.

From experience, put your last name on the outside/inside of your mail box, my EAD was returned because of this invisible rule. It took 3 months to get it back a month or so later I had my stupid green card.

As you know I'm sure, you can apply for your SSN at the local SSN Office after about 2 weeks. You can also obtain an "unrestricted" SSN after you get your green card. If they say you can't they don't know what they are talking about!

I got here in November 2005, we didn't apply for my AOS till around April (lack of funds) 2006 then had the EAD mailed around July 2006 and had it returned around September 2006, had my green card in October 2007 and my first job in November 2007. Job hunting was not easy, I got both unlucky and very lucky at the same time!

Good luck, relax enjoy the flight "home" and use the free time to get into the swing of things!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone,

Finally!! I got the sticker in my passport and we are planning to travel to the US mid January! Now my question is what do we do there? Do I stand inline for regular immigration or is there a special area that I have to go to (travelling to Chicago O'Hare if this helps)? I also heard that it might be possible to get a temporary work stamp at the airport when you arrive, what is our best way to get this? I would become violent if I had to be jobless for 6 months waiting for the temporary work permit to come through. Or is it not necessary to wait until the wedding?

Thanks for any responses and good luck for all of you out there still waiting!!!

Q

Hi, you will stand in the non-immigrant line. They have 3 ( immigrant, non-immigrant and US citizen).

You will probably be jobless for the time it takes to file AOS. Most employers dont want to hire someone that can only work for 3 months temporarily and most also dont even know you are able to work on the i-94. Once your i-94 expires you cant work until you get ead approval.

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Hi everyone,

Q

What line you will stand in depends on the airport and if you are traveling with your fiancee. Generally the best way to handle it is to ask the officer who is directing traffic as to which line you should go in.

I came into the US with my now wife. So she was allowed to go with me through the USC/PR line instead of the non-immigrant line.

The temporary work stamp is offered only at some airports and good only for 90 days. Unless its a temp job, you might find difficulty getting employment with only a temp stamp.

You wont be able to apply for your actual EAD card until after you are married and with your AOS paperwork.

If you do find yourself bored waiting for the card, you can definitely look for places to volunteer. Not only will it help keep you busy, but it will help you meet new people and adapt to living here.

keTiiDCjGVo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.