Ling Ling

The Stupid RFE Thread

238 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Just got an RFE letter saying I need to send them proof of

our bonafide marriage.. We have sharing bank account, sworn affidavit from third party, and some pictures of us.. Is that gonna be enough? And my other question is that we both in th US right now on vacation, we need to send the evidences to uscis Germany.Can we send the mail from the US, or do they need me to send the mail by German post office..?

05/11/2012 - I-130 DCF in Frankfurt

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Category:

IV Package

-- NOTE: Marriage Certificate needs to be Original not Certified or not translated UNLESS you got married somewhere else other that country you have your interview in (NVC instructed me 12 times)

Is this really correct? The Step-by-Step guide says "Original or certified copy of the marriage certificate." And on the US Department of State website, under what must be submitted to the NVC, it says:

If you are married, you must obtain an original marriage certificate, or a certified copy, bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.

08-Oct-2012 -- Married in Chongqing

29-Oct-2012 -- Heavily front-loaded I-130 sent (spouse is Chinese)
02-Nov-2012 -- NOA-1 email received (Receipt Date = November 1, 2012)
01-Feb-2013 -- NOA-2 surface mail received (Notice Date = 28-Jan-2013 - 88 days)
26-Feb-2013 -- NVC case/IIN numbers received on phone (after 3 weeks daily calls) - gave NVC our email addresses
28-Feb-2013 -- DS-3032 email received
28-Feb-2013 -- AOS Invoice email received
28-Feb-2013 -- Tried to pay AOS Invoice on the State Department website, but site wouldn't allow the login
01-Mar-2013 -- Sent the Electronic Processing OPTIN email with signed/dated DS-3032 attached
01-Mar-2013 -- Successfully paid AOS Invoice on State Department website
07-Mar-2013 -- EP-OPTIN/DS-3032/AOS-fee-payment confirmation email received with new GZO case number
11-Mar-2013 -- DS-230 invoice received; Successfuly paid DS-230 invoice on State Department website the same day

16-Jul-2013 -- Sent I-864 package (6 MB) via email to NVCElectronic

16-Jul-2013 -- Sent DS-230 package (18 MB) via email to NVCElectronic

30-Jul-2013 -- Received acknowledgement of receipt of DS-230 package

31-Jul-2013 -- Received acknowledgement of receipt of I-864 package

12-Sep-2013 -- Received Status-change email from NVC - Case complete

12-Sep-2013 -- Received Interview-scheduled email from NVC - Interview scheduled for 4-November-2013

4-Nov-2013 -- Interview easily passed (four questions). Waiting for passport/visa.

5-Nov-2013 -- CEAC Status = "Issued"

7-Nov-2013 -- Status in reply-email from passportstatus@ustraveldocs.com = "Origination Scan"

12-Nov-2013 -- Received email from ustraveldocs: "Ready for pickup"

14-Nov-2013 -- Wife picked up passport/visa from local CITIC bank

14-Nov-2013 -- Paid Immigrant Fee on USCIS website

07-Mar-2014 -- POE = Washington Dulles Airport

Is this really correct? The Step-by-Step guide says "Original or certified copy of the marriage certificate." And on the US Department of State website, under what must be submitted to the NVC, it says:

That's not correct. We sent just our certified copy of our marriage certificate and never had a problem, not at USCIS, not at NVC, nor at the interview.

I just thought what might be the problem with the "certified" copy of the marriage certificate. It may not have been certified by the correct authority. If it was a photocopy that was notarized by a notary public, for example, that would probably be insufficient. If it was a copy that you requested from the same agency who issued it originally, then it is sure to be an acceptably certified document. Such copies frequently bear language such as "this is a true copy of the information contained in our files", or some sort of legal stamp from the issuing agency, or some sort of apostille, or may even be a copy made at a US Embassy and certified there.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

• 1 month later...

RFE:Got a checklist for AOS. Question #25, I had left blank because I wasn't sure what to put because I only had my 2012 w2 (I recently filed a tax return for it, which also needs amendment) and no returns for 2011 or 2010 due to low income.

What I learned: Don't leave any questions blank.

Edited by Mina90

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

This is a fantastic thread! It has helped me out immensely! Thank you and will definitely let you all know if I have any stupid RFEs (hope not!).

USCIS Stage: California Service Center

Apr 11, 2013 - Filed I-130

Apr 16, 2013 - NOA-1

Oct 22, 2013 - Change of Address

Nov 19, 2013 - Case transferred to CA Service Center

Dec 10, 2013 - NOA-2

NVC Stage

Jan 28, 2014- NVC Case Number Recieved

Jan 28, 2014- AOS Fee Invoiced/ paid

Jan 29, 2014- DS-261 Submitted

Jan 30, 3014- AOS Fee showed 'PAID' and Cover sheet was emailed to me

Feb 1, 2014- AOS Package Sent

Feb 3, 2014- AOS Package received by NVC

Feb 3, 2014- Registration of agent email sent to me

Feb 4, 2014- IV Processing Fee invoiced/ paid

Feb 6, 2014- IV Processing Fee showed 'PAID'

Feb 8, 2014- DS-260 Submitted

Feb 10, 2014- IV Package sent

Feb 14, 2014- IV Package received by NVC

Feb 26, 2014- False checklist for IV Package received

Mar 6, 2014- NVC case complete

Mar 12, 2014- Interview appointment letter received

Mar 25, 2014- Medical exam

Apr 28, 2014- Interview!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I got RFE today, im not mad im actually happy it gave me some what of a ahope, any way my question here is that the letter came in husband's name, this is how it looked, on the envelope his name first then c/o and my name next to it, and in side on the letter on the upper left corner it had his name, and ofcourse what they are asking for, and if this gonna help answer my question, they requested my original birth certificate, is that normal or could they might think that he is the petitioner and im the beneficiary?????????? :innocent:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I got an RFE today to submit a properly completed and signed Form G-325A.

I have to resubmit the same form as the one I submitted was correct but I am not sure why they have issued an RFE for the one I properly filled, red 15times by 3 different people. Local offices are trying to set up a NEW NORMAL timeline of 6 to 7 months.

USC here yes.gif
------------------------------
I130

11/30/2012 - NOA1 - NBC
01/09/2013 - Transfer to local office(Newark, NJ)
03/11/2013 - INFO Pass
04/04/2013 - INFO Pass

04/30/2013 - RFE - Properly complete and re-submit G-325A.
05/09/2013 - RFE hand delivered to Local office.

05/10/2013 - NOA2 - Newark NJ

NVC
05/13/2013 - NVC Received.
05/30/2013 - Case & IIN # Received.
05/30/2013 - DS3032 & E-mail sent to remove Attorney and appoint petitioner as choice of Agent.
05/30/2013 - NVC accepted request and stated that further communication will now directed to petitioner.
06/04/2013 - AOS & IV bill e-mail received, generated and paid.
06/05/2013 - AOS & IV status paid.
06/05/2013 - AOS package sent
06/12/2013 - IV package sent
06/25/2013 - AOS Accepted
07/03/2013 - IV accepted
07/03/2013 - Case Complete
07/30/2013 - Interview Date received

09/30/2013 - Interview

09/30/2013 - Approved

10/02/2013 - Visa in hand

10/05/2013 - POE

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I got an RFE today to submit a properly completed and signed Form G-325A.

I have to resubmit the same form as the one I submitted was correct but I am not sure why they have issued an RFE for the one I properly filled, red 15times by 3 different people. Local offices are trying to set up a NEW NORMAL timeline of 6 to 7 months.

I had the same problem except they said they mailed out the RFE Feb 1st, and after 10 weeks of calling them weekly it finally arrived in the mail mid april. Now i'm just waiting for their next response. UGH.

Also i noticed what i sent in was a G-325A and what they wanted me to fill out for the RFE was a G-325 so I dont know why they didnt just mention that in the first place.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

i got an rfe today and i want to call it stupid because it is unfair. i recieved an rfe due to lack of sufficient evidence to prove bonafide marriage which is outrageous and i am sooooooooooo upset. has anyone had to unfairly deal with this as i am and had approval prevail? thanks. i just hate to think i am the only innocent person this has happened to.

• 3 weeks later...

we had RFE asking orig. copy of my husband divorcement paper...its been 2weeks from now since my husband pass it but yet we not receiving anything from uscis or nvc...:(

• 1 month later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

Category:
AOS Package for a CR1

My stupid Checklist was:
Forgot type in N/A to Part 3. Information on the Sponsor (You.) Section.

Place of Residence (if different from mailing address)

What I learned:
They mean it when they say do not leave any part of the form blank! I thought since that my mailing address DID NOT differ from my residence and they ask for you to provide IF it is different from mailing address that it would not require me to submit it again. Grrrrrr.

Petitioner/USC Married: 11/26/2012
USCIS (144 Days)
01-12-2013 : I-130 sent (CR1) - Phoenix AZ Lockbox
01-14-2013 : NOA1 - Processing @ NBC (MSC)
06-07-2013: NOA2 - Checked status via the USCIS website

NVC
06/20/13: NVC Received

06/26/13: Case/IIN Assigned
07/05/13: AOS Package Sent
07/18/19: IV Package sent
08/01/13: AOS Checklist - Grrr! (16 Business Days)
08/09/13: IV Package accepted (15 Business Days)
08/29/13: AOS Package accepted (17 Business Days)
08/29/13: Case complete

09/09/13: Interview Assigned

09/18/13: Medical Exam

10/07/13: Interview/Approved

10/14/13: Picked up Visa at US Interest Section - Havana

11/26/13: POE Tampa

ELIS/Green Card Production/SSN

12/03/13: ELIS Paid Status

12/07/13: SSN Arrived in Mail

12/19/13: ELIS Optimized/In Process Status

12/30/13: Production of New Card Began

1/3/14: Card Produced Status

1/6/14: GC Received via Mail

Petition To Remove Conditions on Permanent Residency - Jointly Filed

08/29/15: I-751 Form w/ Documentation - Laguna Nigel, CA PO BOX

09/02/15: NOA1

3/29/16: Approved - New Card is Being Produced.

• 2 months later...

My stupid RFE

***technically it was not an RFE, but this stupid mistake delayed my process big time!

Payment Portal for IV Fee Payment:

I made a mistake of not double checking the checking account number my husband dictated to me.

He was too tired to see the numbers right, I was too confident he knew what he was talking about. LOL

After 5 days on the payment portal, website shows payment REJECTED.

My payment got REJECTED 3 times since, apparently the payment portal system does not yet have an automatic RESET

on a REJECTED status and stays there until you email the technical team of NVC website to have it reset.

Every time I attempted to make a payment, it gets rejected because the system thinks their is still an active payment there even though there is non! We paid the Visa fee by mail instead.

Lesson learned:

On the payment portal, be sure that the figures you are trying to input are all correct.

Don't assume you got the information right the first time. Always double check, and double check again.

Edited by RedPepper

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.