Ling Ling

The Stupid RFE Thread

238 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

"Please submit a Legible copy of the "long form" birth document issued by the county registrar that shows both parents' full names and the informant's name and signature.

I provided a photocopy of ALL pages of my passport and they are asking me for this?! Thought that one or the other was fine, not both...

My assumption: Although my parents are US citizens, they are originally from outside the US. Due to that fact they want more evidence on me. A little biased if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Category:

IV Package

My stupid RFE was:

mailed the Affidavit of Support and DS230 instead of EMAILING it. CHECK IF YOU'RE PROCESSING ELECTRONICALLY! They said they mailed all my papers back. I received the affidavit of support form but NOTHING ELSE! They say I need to submit everything again through email.

What I learned:

Check if documents need to be mailed OR emailed.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My stupid RFE was the fact that I did not make copies of my tax forms because I was assuming that when I sent them they would not come back and say they never received it...Well just my luck they said I was missing 2011 tax forms so I must complete the AOS form again and resend it...Things just can't be easy can they?

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Adding some stupid RFEs from the NVC :lol: :

1st RFE:

- The NVC said my wife's income in her tax return transcript didn't match her stated income on the I-864.

No S#!T. we filed married filing jointly (I had a work authorization in the US that year) and the NVC tried to match our combined income with her stated personal income. + 3 weeks to the NVC process.

2nd RFE:

- The NVC emailed me asking for a copy of my Sierra Leone passport and birth certificate in order to be able to interview me in Sierra Leone.

I have never been to Sierra Leone, nor have I have ever stated a desire to be interviewed there. Called the NVC, operator said a supervisor would look at it. +2 weeks to the NVC process.

3rd RFE:

- The NVC emailed me asking for a copy of my Swedish passport and birth certificate in order to be able to interview me in Sweden.

As stated by the Dept of State, Norwegian and Danish citizens residing in Norway and Denmark will be interviewed at the US embassy in Stockholm, Sweden. Explained this to the NVC operator. Escalated to supervisor review. +1 week to the NVC process.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My stupid RFE:

Bona fide marital relationship how about that I paid for a lawyer and all that was provided originally pictures and all. After a 10 month delay slipped thru the cracks, And finally getting someone to listen to how long I have been waiting on a I-130 approval a kind lady at USCIS said you've fallen outside the normal processing time. You should have gotten a answer in January but it's now the end of June. Next got a RFE in July sent off evidence they received 8/31 still in review..whoa is Me!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Category:

AOS Package

My (my dear wife's actually) stupid RFE was:

Forgot to send the proof of relationship (With co-sponsor) when sending AOS

What I learned:

Categorize and mention specifically which document is being used for what purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you'd technically call this an RFE but we managed to make it through the entire process rfe free all the way up until the interview on October 11th. My husbands visa was refused that day due to a missing signature on the I864A. He was given the number of the embassy courier and told to get that form back to him asap along with his passport. This was sent out on October 16th and received on the 18th.

What I've learned? Just because you've hired a lawyer, don't assume everything is perfect. Double check your docs.

Several weeks went by and we heard nothing. Upon my calling VOS on Nov 7th I discovered that there was another RFE that we were not notified of. They required proof of status for our joint sponsor. The embassy courier picked that up on November 9th and it was received on the 13th.

What I've learned? Same lesson as before only in addition; Just because you've hired a lawyer don't take that as an excuse to remain ignorant on the visa process. Educate yourself on as much as you can because there's a lot riding on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

:innocent:

I don't know if you'd technically call this an RFE but we managed to make it through the entire process rfe free all the way up until the interview on October 11th. My husbands visa was refused that day due to a missing signature on the I864A. He was given the number of the embassy courier and told to get that form back to him asap along with his passport. This was sent out on October 16th and received on the 18th.

What I've learned? Just because you've hired a lawyer, don't assume everything is perfect. Double check your docs.

Several weeks went by and we heard nothing. Upon my calling VOS on Nov 7th I discovered that there was another RFE that we were not notified of. They required proof of status for our joint sponsor. The embassy courier picked that up on November 9th and it was received on the 13th.

What I've learned? Same lesson as before only in addition; Just because you've hired a lawyer don't take that as an excuse to remain ignorant on the visa process. Educate yourself on as much as you can because there's a lot riding on it.

U R so right , my friend has this so-call great law firm that insisted on money upfront, anyways he was encouraged NOT to call himself by the lazy para-legal,He decided to call one day and of course they got his email address in the process, then a few wks later he got RFE for an updated police record (thats normal) but also correct info on his residences as 6 mths was missing, this was Sept , Paralegal forwarded this msg dys later and was shocked he already knew, she claim the new report was sent in Oct with correction fori residences, yesterday a RFE came out for correction on 6 missing mths of residences, when called today she claims it must be NVC mistake as they have everything, so he has learn to keep up with his case

step in the process:

aos I-864

rfe:

i forgot to sign I-864a as sponsor (its really easy to look past it)

i also forgot to date my I-864 (co-sponsor)

what i learned:

checking it 5 times its not enough get other eyes to look at it maybe they spot something you completely missed,also dont rush when i sent it in i was rushing cause the post office was about to close.

My cr1 timeline:

USCIS

05/01/2012: I-130 Sent from NY

05/10/2012: USPS Delivery Confirmation

05/15/2012: NOA1 E-mail 

05/23/2012: NOA1 (i-797 Rec'd Hard copy via snail mail)

10/17/2012: NOA2 E-mail 

NVC

10/19/2012: NVC received

10/20/2012: Case number/IIN

11/05/2012: AOS Bill Invoiced-PAID

11/07/2012 AOS Show PAID

11/13/2012: AOS Package sent(via- USPS) 

11/13/2012: sent ds3020 (choice if agent)

11/15/2012: rec'd acceptance if agent

11/17/2012: IV Bill invoiced-PAID

11/21/2012: IV Bill Show PAID

11/19/2012: IV Package sent(via-usps)

11/21/2012: received Instruction package

01/04/2013: Case complete at NVC

01/30/2013: Interview scheduled

SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE 

02/01/2013: Embassy received

02/19/2013:medical

03/05/2013 Interview

03/07/2013: Visa

03/14/2013: EXPECTED POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Category:

I-130

My stupid RFE was:

two passport sized photos of my husband and i (though i SWEAR i included them the first time around...)

what i learned:

something as small as a photo can add up to four months to the visa process... urgh!

ALSO, i have a question.

when they sent me that RFE, the letter said to include the "A" number on the back of the photos before sending them back in... problem is, we don't have one! any idea as to what to do?

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Category:

I-130

My stupid RFE was:

two passport sized photos of my husband and i (though i SWEAR i included them the first time around...)

what i learned:

something as small as a photo can add up to four months to the visa process... urgh!

ALSO, i have a question.

when they sent me that RFE, the letter said to include the "A" number on the back of the photos before sending them back in... problem is, we don't have one! any idea as to what to do?

That's the alien number and you don't have one yet.

oldlady.gif

Category:

I-130

My stupid RFE was:

what i learned:

ALSO, i have a question.

You don't have an "A" number yet, Just put in your husband name and DOB

~* GodsGift225*~

Step in the process :

Ds-230

Stupid rfe :

Nvc claims my bc and mc are not originals

What i learned:

They are tough to convince but im fighting them all the way since i dont have anymore originals and it would take me 2 weeks to get new ones from DR so im fighting while i am waiting.

My cr1 timeline:

USCIS

05/01/2012: I-130 Sent from NY

05/10/2012: USPS Delivery Confirmation

05/15/2012: NOA1 E-mail 

05/23/2012: NOA1 (i-797 Rec'd Hard copy via snail mail)

10/17/2012: NOA2 E-mail 

NVC

10/19/2012: NVC received

10/20/2012: Case number/IIN

11/05/2012: AOS Bill Invoiced-PAID

11/07/2012 AOS Show PAID

11/13/2012: AOS Package sent(via- USPS) 

11/13/2012: sent ds3020 (choice if agent)

11/15/2012: rec'd acceptance if agent

11/17/2012: IV Bill invoiced-PAID

11/21/2012: IV Bill Show PAID

11/19/2012: IV Package sent(via-usps)

11/21/2012: received Instruction package

01/04/2013: Case complete at NVC

01/30/2013: Interview scheduled

SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE 

02/01/2013: Embassy received

02/19/2013:medical

03/05/2013 Interview

03/07/2013: Visa

03/14/2013: EXPECTED POE

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So reading through this thread is making me super paranoid. It seems like documents go missing a lot. Is it a good idea to send two photocopies of documents where you can? Or will that just create more problems?

So reading through this thread is making me super paranoid. It seems like documents go missing a lot. Is it a good idea to send two photocopies of documents where you can? Or will that just create more problems?

I'm filing in London and they specifically said one of their letters not to send duplicates, not sure how it is in other places though. I make sure to keep a full copy of each packet I send them just in case.

DCF London

18-07-2012 - Sent I-130

26-07-2012 - NOA1

07-09-2012 - Received Case #

20-09-2012 - sent DS230 pt.1

11-12-2012 - booked medical

21-12-2012 - sent DS230 pt.2

interview letter...?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.