ceriserose

Feeling very discouraged today so

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's been just shy of a week since I was at the job interview and I'm beginning to doubt that I'll be called back. Frustrating, but understandable (well, not really understandable but I'm peevish so we won't go there). :P

I'm looking now to 'saddle up again' despite the fact that I'm feeling pretty negative about ever finding work.

SO.

In an effort to do so, I need some opinions on proceeding. I'm a technical writer and had my resume reworked by a former colleague who specializes in document design. I've had it reviewed by CAPS and a friend. It's a -good- resume. I have a lot of skills. The two things I'm thinking are that it needs a bit of reorganizing, as I'm mostly submitting to clerical positions (tech. writing here is not huge) and it is tending to spin more to writing. That's my first idea.

Second is more of a question on how to handle the citizenship/immigration angle. I've been putting a paragraph in my letter of interest that basically states my Canadian citizenship, my legal authorization to work here, and my pending status of permanent resident. I figured that by looking at the resume they'd see only Canadian things listed and may be hesitant that I'm not here for long or not legally able to work.

Is that a bad idea? Is it too much to tell them? Am I thinking that through backwards?

Thank you for any and all input. :)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

cerise ...

i have zero info to offer up in regards to the job thingy ... that's SOOO out of my field! get hurt or sick and then maybe i can try to help you! :P

as for the second bit .... when i moved from Ct to NJ ... i put a brief 'blurb' in my cover letter stating something to the effect of: I have recently relocated and am interested in pursuing employment in the field of nursing blah blah blah.

i think since you are so close to the border ... they may be used to this. i wouldn't offer up too much unless asked.

giving you the biggest hug and can't wait to chat with ya!!! i was just popped on to the computer to grab one of my recipes (swedish meatballs!!! YUMM)

(L)(F)(L)

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Hi Pam, sorry I cannot offer any help whatsoever as I know nothing about the type of work you do and so cannot advise, but just wanted to say keep you chin up, I.m sure things will work out right for you, lots of hugs your way, Val

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Second is more of a question on how to handle the citizenship/immigration angle. I've been putting a paragraph in my letter of interest that basically states my Canadian citizenship, my legal authorization to work here, and my pending status of permanent resident. I figured that by looking at the resume they'd see only Canadian things listed and may be hesitant that I'm not here for long or not legally able to work.

Is that a bad idea? Is it too much to tell them? Am I thinking that through backwards?

Thank you for any and all input. :)

Whenever I prepared my resume I have given that issue some thought, too.

However, I have decided against it, and have not included any information of my immigrant status or work authorization.

Reason is:

1. The employer expects you to have a valid work authorization, if you wouldn't have one he wouldn't expect you to apply anyway. (BTW, most online ads or company sites explicitly discourage you to even apply should you not have a valid work authorization).

2. The issue - if ever discussed, can come up at the interview where you can explain things.

3. It might look negative if you put an "eye-catcher" on there that tells them that you are an immigrant.

4. Telling them that you have a pending immigration case, makes them wonder if they want to employ you at all when there's a chance you might be denied your legal residency, and eventually the work authorization is revoked, too.

Hope this helps - Just my 2cents.

Edited by tweety

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A paragraph about your status? TMI.

A single line stating 'employment authorized in the US' is sufficient.

You might hit the USA Forum at britishexpats.. this topic comes up frequently and there are some good answers/ideas there.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Monique: You have to stop talking about food on threads, especially ones I cannot boycott in protest. Honestly. :crying::crying::crying: Big meaniehead. :P (Either that or move closer and drop by with some.)

Val: Thanks for the hugs. I'm sure in the big scheme of things I will one day look back on this and wonder why it felt so hard. I'd just like that day to be soon. ;)

Tanja: (At least I hope that's your real name Tweety, I was getting that from memory! eeep!) Those are exactly the twists and turns my thought process has gone through with this. I really couldn't tell if by offering that information I wasn't shooting myself in the foot. I'm adjusting the letter format to remove that and just say I've relocated. It makes sense to me that at interview they will ask, and the assumption I'm legally able to work is one I wasn't going to allow for, but it makes sense to do so.

Thanks everyone!

(I'm now filling out a 13 freaking page application for one job. Oy.)

(F)

A paragraph about your status? TMI.

A single line stating 'employment authorized in the US' is sufficient.

You might hit the USA Forum at britishexpats.. this topic comes up frequently and there are some good answers/ideas there.

I'll have a look there as well. Thanks!!! :)

:hug:s and good wishes for Cerise! :)

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I'm useless to give advice as I'm just not experienced in the job search thing. :unsure:

But I CAN say, you seem to be well organized and are doing your homework. You WILL be a huge asset to the smart organization that hires you....and I still say, remember that people doing the hiring never have the same sense of urgency to communicate with potential hirees as we think they ought to!!! :angry:

*huggles Cerise* (F)(F)(F)

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

ceCrise, i think yoou received ssome good advice here..remember to put on your resume that you are indeed the world famous ceCrise...and i offer good luck and good cheer for your efforts and fortune...dean

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Keep your chin up something will come along, my wife is in the same boat looking for work also, she's in the IT sector. Like the previous member stated

Things like your immigration status should stay out of the resume, when you put down your work experience it can just show the company name then location Canada.

Another thing, you may have to creat different version of your resume depending on the company you are looking for, what are the major criteria about the postion.

Most of these concerns can be take care of when you go for the interview if they ask for it, don't volunteer anything that's not being ask.

Good luck on your job search!

Edited by Nikita2Charles

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I wouldn't get toooo worried about not hearing back for a week for that job. My company for example is awful about that! It can be up to 3 or 4 weeks before a call is made. HR can really hold stuff up sometimes.

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

don't have any advice just wanted to send you some good wishes (F)

...Linkiepinkie%20to%20scary%20cow%20piccie...

:innocent::whistle:

Ditto! But without the scary cow piccie added :P I don't have much advice since my resume basically sucks and I doubt anyone at my current workplace has even looked at it, but did want to send you more mojo and good luck. :star:(F):star:

Edited by RaspberrySwirl

Timeline

Thanks everyone. I have one page left on my beast of a document and then one more resume I want to get out and then I'm having a nap. (It probably hasn't helped having the flu through much of the past week, huh?)

I really appreciate the hugs and support. Y'all are awesome! :)

(F)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hear ya Cerise, definitely. I just got back in it, so to speak, and sent off my resume to Jerry's work, who's hiring in a bunch of areas. For me, I just included a statement in my synopsis of qualifications that I have been eligible for work since _______ and a permanent resident since __________.

Judging by my experience with the museum, and watching what happened when Jerry switched jobs, the fact that you haven't heard anything does not surprise me at all. But I do hope you hear something soon. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.