hello china group

50 posts in this topic

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
oh, come on now, fellas, everybody has to feel important, somehow, even if they get obnoxious doing it.

i don't need any doors, cause i'm damned well done, but i have a few of my own that may be of use to others. life in china is just that way. it's all about guanxi.

An obnoxious ####### is what you said you are in your 1st post.

You needed to be corrected. Been there done that you say.

Got news for you "noshooter" or maybe its "left of target".

You do not know it all, only your case. You cant speak for

no-one but you. And yes push was right. Get your story straight.

Make sure your words are right. You make it sound as if you are

the know-it-all.

i don't need any doors, cause i'm damned well done, but i have a few of my own that may be of use to others. life in china is just that way. it's all about guanxi.

Thats a real messed up reply. Life in china is what? Its all about Guanxi? Tell us shoot whats that mean?

Since your damned well done why dont you write a book or something. No one needs your no-it-all mess.

No-it-alls we dont need, in fact you know nothing. Seems someone knows more than you. Well you go into

god mod. Keep your opinion to yourself leave to others for advice. No-one cares if you like the way they do it.

You put yourself in the spot your in. Eat your own dirt. And no life in China is not just that way.

Many more of use has lived in China much longer than you, and still do. That comment is

pointless at the least. You got a lot to learn.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
Thats a real messed up reply. Life in china is what? Its all about Guanxi? Tell us shoot whats that mean?

Since your damned well done why dont you write a book or something. No one needs your no-it-all mess.

No-it-alls we dont need, in fact you know nothing. Seems someone knows more than you. Well you go into

god mod. Keep your opinion to yourself leave to others for advice. No-one cares if you like the way they do it.

You put yourself in the spot your in. Eat your own dirt. And no life in China is not just that way.

Many more of use has lived in China much longer than you, and still do. That comment is

sounds like a very unhappy fellow. wonder what his problem is, and why he is banging at the gates? could be he has some issues with people being happy and satisfied with their situation?

too bad about your taxes and your father in law. maybe when you're xian you'll swing on over to luoyang. i'll take you out for some pijou. my treat.

as far as the guanxi is concerned, move to luoyang, and you'll understand. guangzhou ain't china, buddy. guangzhou ain't nothing like china. no angry people here.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Timeline

anybody else notice that this jing fellow just registered on october 8, and has an empty profile?

c'mon push, you can tell us it's really you. shilling is an old game.

Timeline

Did I come to the wrong place? I was trying to find the "Hello China Group." Seems I found the "Does not play well with others group." :lol:

For all the grown ups, thank you for your Hellos and Welcomes. We are just like the name implies EZgoing. We just want to make some nice friends to give and receive support from during these difficult months of waiting. I have been a member of many other chat boards and I can say one thing, even when everyone speaks the same native language, misunderstandings are easy. Now here, you add the language variable and the chance of a misunderstanding really increases. The truth is nobody needs to prove anything to anyone here and it is pointless to try. If I have nothing useful to add to the topic, then I really have nothing to post. Now I will take my own advice, since I have nothing more useful to say, I will simply say: I wish you all good luck, hope to see you around. Zai Jian.

Timeline
chou huan ying. meiguoren ya qiang. ling hui?

Try English. My fiancee who has lived in China for 39 years has no idea what you are saying. Also, even I know that a question ends with ma? I would like to understand what you are attempting to say but many of these words don't exist. If it isn't something civil, don't bother.

Timeline

Try English. My fiancee who has lived in China for 39 years has no idea what you are saying. Also, even I know that a question ends with ma? I would like to understand what you are attempting to say but many of these words don't exist. If it isn't something civil, don't bother.

could be she can't speak putonghua, or can't understand it without the accent marks. she is from south china, i suppose?

that's the trouble with spoken chinese language. it varies from place to place to the point of mutual unintelligeability. 80% of the people in this country can't speak putonghua, the national language. writing it in pinyin is not a good solution, either, as most comps are not set up for accent marks, and even if they were a single pinyin representation can offer up to 50 possible character options (xi, for example). that's why we often hold business meetings in english. my core staff here are all locals, so they speak in luoyanghua, but when we get a visitor from shanghai, or harbin, or shandong province, it always goes to english. what a messed up place this is.

i was welcoming you to the group, indicating that the americans who post here are under lots of pressure, so implying that their comments are sometimes a result of the pressure, and indicating that we could be friends.

ma is what i call my wife's mother. ba is my father in-law. they are nice people. in my wife's absence we have spent days together getting by in pidgin chinglish. they understand, so maybe i speak more luoyanghua, than putonghua. even so, i can never be lao xiang.

Timeline

could be she can't speak putonghua, or can't understand it without the accent marks. she is from south china, i suppose?

that's the trouble with spoken chinese language. it varies from place to place to the point of mutual unintelligeability. 80% of the people in this country can't speak putonghua, the national language. writing it in pinyin is not a good solution, either, as most comps are not set up for accent marks, and even if they were a single pinyin representation can offer up to 50 possible character options (xi, for example). that's why we often hold business meetings in english. my core staff here are all locals, so they speak in luoyanghua, but when we get a visitor from shanghai, or harbin, or shandong province, it always goes to english. what a messed up place this is.

i was welcoming you to the group, indicating that the americans who post here are under lots of pressure, so implying that their comments are sometimes a result of the pressure, and indicating that we could be friends.

ma is what i call my wife's mother. ba is my father in-law. they are nice people. in my wife's absence we have spent days together getting by in pidgin chinglish. they understand, so maybe i speak more luoyanghua, than putonghua. even so, i can never be lao xiang.

Yes, it could be that she does not speak that dialect. We figured out many of the words, just not the message. I am aware that there are hundreds of dialects spoken in China. She speaks whatever Mandrin dialect is spoken in Beijing and Shenyang and all over the Northeast of China. We travelled all over. Shenyang, Beijing, Anshen, Dilan and nobody had any problems communicating with her. I don't know what dialect it is but she is an educated person from Shenyang and graduating from the University of Liaoning which is also in Shenyang. Her pinyin is quite strong, I think it is a dialect difference.

Thank you for the welcome to the group. I just started taking a Mandrin class where we will learn pinyin and traditional Chinese characters. I have my computer set up now for Traditional Chinese but like you said pinyin accent marks don't show up. I figure taking the class will give me a head start on what she will teach me. The professor is very good, an author and he and sister own a huge English school in China. Here they have the Chinese school mostly for children of parents that want their children to keep their culture.

As far as being messed up with dialects, the Philippines are no different. They have an incredible number of dialects. I am just thankful that all I have to decipher is the occasional Southern drawl or New England accent.

Anyway, thank you again for the welcome. The information is interesting, I will show it to my professor and he can give me some geographical references to the dialects.

Peace

Timeline

good luck in your efforts to learn mandarin, as mine is terrible. if your sugar is from shenyang, and university educated, you will have a good teacher in putonghua. she should teach you the difference between "chun(iang)", and "lian", which are 2 different kinds of love. may you have both with the same woman. here in luoyang, you have the first kind with your lover, and your wife has the second kind with you.

prolly i am writing a mix of putonghua and luoyanghua. my wife is also university educated in zhengzhou. thank God she has CET 8 certs, or we wouldn't be able to understand each other very well, at all. she speaks luoyanghua, as given in caodian city, putonghua, and english. had a hell of a time getting by in guangzhou during her interview week.

even i can hear a difference in the tones between putonghua and luoyanghua. supposedly there are 80 distinct sounds, with tonals added, up to 800 different possible pronunciations. from these, 250,000 different traditional characters may be inferred, or about 100,000 simplified, but only 3,000 in common use. each of over 50 recognised dialects assigns different sounds and tonals to the same character, so it can get confusing. add in the euphamisms, like the word for steamed buns , mantou, being the same as the word for breasts, and no telling what can happen in a restaraunt. :unsure:

i had some business in shenyang and dalian. cold as hell in the winter. shenyang is a dirty city, like luoyang. a lot of heavy industry located there, just like luoyang. foundry shops, coal fired power plants to feed electricity to them, machine shops, car parts manufacturers, you name it. not there long enough to get to know it, but if it has the same character as luoyang, you will get a good wife. here, the people are still generally sincere, but of course, you have to draw a clear line in the sand, and draw it, and draw it, and draw it.

convert your comp to simplified. mainlanders under 50 have a hard time reading traditional, in general. they get the idea of a character, but often not the specifics. taiwanese never went to simplified, but mainland did in 1955, or so. i can't read character beyond a few basics, so use the altavista babelfish translator frequently. it is pretty good in simplified.

i have a collection of chinese military equipment dating back to the ching days. this kind of stuff was imported to US in the 80's, and don bell, omega weapons systems in arizona, still has containers of it in the desert. many of the rifle stocks are marked in traditional character, often in an artistic form. my local engineers can't translate some of them. the rifles from the 2nd war era are a mix of purchases from belgium and czeslovakia under KMT, local copies of such, and japanese capture, sometimes from previous russian capture. many of them are marked with special name characters which are related to local militias that formed in the tumultuous years in transition from KMT to CCP. the meaning of these characters may be inferred from general characteristics, but are lost to those of us in the present day.

the area around shenyang is rich in military history. it has been in the middle of several conflicts in the last 150 years. 400,000 japanese routed 400,000 russians there in 1904 and captured their stores and equipment. the japanese held interest in the area and puppeted the manchuko state a few decades later, using it as a stepping stone from which to occupy all of coastal china, even unto luoyang, in the mid 30's. the manchuko state fielded and interesting hybrid of the arisaka and mauser types that is considered very collectable today. in the 50's, shenyang was a launching pad for chinese operations in north korea, and we all know how that turned out.

history in china is full of bizarre twists and turns. on a recent visit to a friend's in-laws place described in a thread called THE REAL CHINA, we passed over a bridge of special significance. 8 years ago a farmer chasing cows under the bridge found dynastic gold in the mud there that had been thrown over the bridge during the japanese occupation. was reportedly over 50 kilos of ching crescents, 24K. of course, he called in the local and province officials, all of which mysteriously had new cars within a month. the farmer is still chasing cows. :wacko:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My "second" wife (as my real wife calls her) is from Hunan, but now lives in a suburb of Guangzhou. She speaks Mandarin (putonhua), Cantonese, and something she calls "family language." My first wife would call it a "local." I assume it's a dialect, because it sounds nothing like the Chinese I'm used to hearing. I can always tell when her mother is calling. Pretty impressive. That's three languages, plus English.

Edited by Melrose Plant

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
anybody else notice that this jing fellow just registered on october 8, and has an empty profile?

c'mon push, you can tell us it's really you. shilling is an old game.

Bite me. I don't need to hide behind any additional usernames.

If you want to write something in Chinese, why not just use the characters? That takes away any confusion from the pinyin.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

sounds like a very unhappy fellow. wonder what his problem is, and why he is banging at the gates? could be he has some issues with people being happy and satisfied with their situation?

too bad about your taxes and your father in law. maybe when you're xian you'll swing on over to luoyang. i'll take you out for some pijou. my treat.

as far as the guanxi is concerned, move to luoyang, and you'll understand. guangzhou ain't china, buddy. guangzhou ain't nothing like china. no angry people here.

In fact China has been home much longer. You wish to add a father into this mix? You need first to understand just who your talking about. You should not have done that. Lei died at the age of 84. He served proudly in the air force and taught many american pilots chinese. When Mao took over he was one who resisted. The man spent 2 years in Mao's prison and his wife, his son, his daugter (my wife) had nothing. They couldn't even go to school because the other students knew thier dad went against Mao. He lost all he was during this time, his health, who he was. He was no more than a vegtable. Dont you dare even mention this man got it? What you said to push is what started this. And no Bubba we are all very happy. If someone comes off as a know it all, knows all there is about China. You should expect to find ones have lived there much longer than you.

Push is a good man he has helped 100's of people none of which you know about. Your the one (angry) not

being able to see just how a statement was made. Thats your problem. If you have a problem with a poster you pm them. Don't you dare bring up Xian!. Don't you dare even mention it! You don't like what I said you deal with me. You say you know China? You know we do not do that!!!!!! Buddy, do you understand now? The only search you need to do and comment on is me personaly. Your very welcome to .

Timeline
In fact China has been home much longer. You wish to add a father into this mix? You need first to understand just who your talking about. You should not have done that. Lei died at the age of 84. He served proudly in the air force and taught many american pilots chinese. When Mao took over he was one who resisted. The man spent 2 years in Mao's prison and his wife, his son, his daugter (my wife) had nothing. They couldn't even go to school because the other students knew thier dad went against Mao. He lost all he was during this time, his health, who he was. He was no more than a vegtable. Dont you dare even mention this man got it? What you said to push is what started this. And no Bubba we are all very happy. If someone comes off as a know it all, knows all there is about China. You should expect to find ones have lived there much longer than you.

Push is a good man he has helped 100's of people none of which you know about. Your the one (angry) not

being able to see just how a statement was made. Thats your problem. If you have a problem with a poster you pm them. Don't you dare bring up Xian!. Don't you dare even mention it! You don't like what I said you deal with me. You say you know China? You know we do not do that!!!!!! Buddy, do you understand now? The only search you need to do and comment on is me personaly. Your very welcome to .

i understand now who you are just a little better. thanks for the pm. china is not one country. it is many countries under one flag. beijingnese are more educated, so feel superior. shanghainese are nore wealthy. harbinese have more skill in certain types of work. henanese are closer to true han, so feel greater ethnic purity, and some here despise others who are not, in their eyes, true chinese.

i know best the luoyangren, and listen to them sing opera in the park outside my window every night. they are proud that their's is the original opera, and closest to the original tounge. still, all han people are "chinese", despite their predjudices one against another.

i have sympathy for your loss. i have no family older than my brother, who is 4 years older than me. my parents died while i was a young man, and their parents while i was a child. it has been a pleasure to find new "parents" in my wife's family, though they are only 10 years older than me.

your grandfather lei is not the only pilot in china. my father's brother, erwin baker, was a navigator who flew over china in the second war. he fought the japanese in china for 3 years, and wore the KMT flag as well. we should not argue the KMT/CCP struggle. it is done, and china has suffered enough the result. mao is credited with the deaths of over 50 million of his own. he was a man who not only raised the people of china from simple agriculture into industry, but also destroyed their cultural heritage and much of the country's intellectual potential. the reign of terror is ended, but the caution remains.

as for push, he provides a service that many have benefitted by, i am sure. he may even be a nice guy, in person. he just comes across a little too rigid on the net. perhaps we all come across a little terse in the written form. we loose the chance to see the humour in the eyes, or the look of concern, the smile on the face that tells us one is joking, or speaking in sarcasm.

in any case, we are all god's children. even bored fellows like me who hang out on this board and fool with people because we have nothing else better to do. good will to all brings a cheerful heart.

Timeline
china is not one country. it is many countries under one flag.
Like the USA is not one country but many countries under one flag?

OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF TOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIC like justa has taken this many times.

moving right along

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.