Nothing1234

Baby Girl Ear Piercing

52 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi Annie!

Well, I'd like to chime into this topic....

We're in a generation and culture where it is "expected" that everyone has pierced ears... and I've heard that the younger, the better -- as it reduces the chance of infection and grabbing.... but with Zain around... be careful! However, it has been reported that it's often that earrings are embedded into the babys' lobes. It takes greater care at the young age.

I do, though, agree with Hoomswife's take on kids being kids!

I didn't have my ears pierced until I was 12.... it was an exciting time. However, it got teared in my left lobe because a school friend grabbed it trying to take a look-see. So that sucked, and my earrings are never even. I got 2nd holes pierced so I put the bigger/prettier earrings in the 2nd holes and smaller studs in the original holes *shrugs*

On the practice of piercing -- I heard and agree that the use of piercing guns is too traumatic for the body, so it is advised, if possible, to go the traditional (but sterile) method.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I had this talk with my husband as well. I am totally against piercing our daughter's ears should we have daughters (inshallah). It is taking a decision out of their hands. I was so angry with my mother for forcing me to get earings when I was young. Eventually I got rid of them and the holes grew back, lol. Later, when I was 9 years old I finally decided for myself I wanted them and I took care of them myself.

I don't think earings in babies is cute at all. Honestly it makes me ill to my stomach, but each person has the right over their child so I will not judge. I just want to cry thinking how the baby just had such a big decision taken from them with no consideration. I feel babies are cute without earings. If God wanted babies to have holes in his ears, he would have put them there. Let the baby girls grow up a litte and make the decision for themselves. I'm sorry, but this subject really makes me cry because I feel it is abuse. Most people see no problem with it. I guess they are fine with doing what "everyone else does" and not considering what is actually right.

My husband insists we should get our daughters ears pierced. He asked if I will go against him and "disobey him". I told him no, he can go himself and take any daughters we may have and get their ears done by himself. Then he can care for and clean the babies ears himself. I will be too busy crying for the first months every time I see my child and what was done to her precious ears. Sorry, I feel very strongly about this subject.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

It only took seeing one woman with a permanently ripped in half earlobe for me to be against small children getting pierced ears. There is so much potential for a small child to have a playmate accidentally rip the earring out and when they get older there's the potential that a schoolyard bully might intentionally rip it out.

I think it's better to let the kids wait and have it be a nice sweet 16 ritual.

Here's the Pediatric's view of piercing a baby's ears.:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/yourbabywee...y_wk_five_9.htm

Quote:

the American Academy of Pediatrics does recommend that you "postpone the piercing until your child is mature enough to take care of the pierced site herself."

This can help avoid some of the risks of baby ear piercing, including:

infection - younger infants have immature immune systems, so they might not be able to fight off an infection at the site of the piercing very well.

choking hazard - if they get the earring off.

allergic reactions - to the metals in the earrings (especially nickle and gold) she wears, but which can be hard to notice since infants normally rub their ears a lot.

embedded earring - this occurs when one part of the earring goes into the earring hole and gets embedded inside. Although this can happen at any age, it can be harder to remove from infants.

If you love your child why would you risk even the smallest chance of hurting it for something so purely selfish and incredibly superficial?

The baby doesn't want or need it. It is these crazy parents using their children as props that want it so they can have an accessory. But a child is not an accessory.

Edited by Hoomsfuturewife

Timeline
It only took seeing one woman with a permanently ripped in half earlobe for me to be against small children getting pierced ears. There is so much potential for a small child to have a playmate accidentally rip the earring out and when they get older there's the potential that a schoolyard bully might intentionally rip it out.

I think it's better to let the kids wait and have it be a nice sweet 16 ritual.

Here's the Pediatric's view of piercing a baby's ears.:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/yourbabywee...y_wk_five_9.htm

Quote:

the American Academy of Pediatrics does recommend that you "postpone the piercing until your child is mature enough to take care of the pierced site herself."

This can help avoid some of the risks of baby ear piercing, including:

infection - younger infants have immature immune systems, so they might not be able to fight off an infection at the site of the piercing very well.

choking hazard - if they get the earring off.

allergic reactions - to the metals in the earrings (especially nickle and gold) she wears, but which can be hard to notice since infants normally rub their ears a lot.

embedded earring - this occurs when one part of the earring goes into the earring hole and gets embedded inside. Although this can happen at any age, it can be harder to remove from infants.

If you love your child why would you risk even the smallest chance of hurting it for something so purely selfish and incredibly superficial?

The baby doesn't want or need it. It is these crazy parents using their children as props that want it so they can have an accessory. But a child is not an accessory.

I totally agree with you :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

My sister, mother and I got our ears pierced when we were 9, 7 and 39. :lol: I never had any problems, but my sister's earrings got embedded/infected and my dad had to perform surgery. Her skin had formed nodules around the earrings' posts and backs. It was just a really disgusting visual - blood, pus, and little gold posts. My sister never had any problems later on - she still has pierced ears, but we talk about her experience from her childhood and can laugh about it.

My advice is to wait when she can take care of them herself...let her ask for them and make her work for them - do chores, take care of the cat - and make her be responsible for their care (with a mother's watchful eye). ;):thumbs:

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well, since I'm here I might as well butt in with my opinion...

If I ever have children I will wait until they ask me before I would pierce their ears. Not everyone wants it, so why not let them have the choice?

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Even though I think little girls are cute with their ears pierced, I think it is better for the girl to decide on her own, I had mine pierced when I was 7. I don't think I was even ready then! Everyone in Lebanon was pressuring me to have Malak's ears pierced while we were there; mama, sisters, brothers, grandma, aunts....but I won! She is almost 11 months old and her ears are free of holes. She was always rubbing her ears and I just knew she'd rip earrings out, or, like Sara said....rip them out on purpose cause she is so freaking nosey. In our house, it will be a decision she will make for herself when she is old enough.

OUR TIMELINE:

Met online: June 5, 2006

Met in person: February 5, 2007

Marriage: February 24, 2007 in Beirut, Lebanon

I-130 Sent: July 23, 2007

NOA1: September 4, 2007

Daughter Born: October 27, 2007

NOA2 (Both 1-130 & I-129): March 12, 2008

NVC receives I-129F, case # assigned: April 4, 2008 (They NEVER receive the I-130)

Interview Date: August 12, 2008

Visa in hand, 1 month exactly of AP/AR/name checks: September 12, 2008 (whoot! whoot!)

POE: October 16, 2008 (praying all goes smoothly!)

Abed arrives in Lexington, KY (FINALLY! What a rough trip for him!): October 17, 2008, 8:47am EST

Adjustment of Status:

Sent in April 16, 2009

Received NOA1 in mail: April 29, 2009

Biometrics Appt: May 13, 2009

RFE: May 11, 2009 (received May 14, 2009)

Sent in RFE (that we had already included in the original packet!): May 26, 2009

Resumed Processing: June 1, 2009

EAD Card Production Ordered: June 10, 2009 (thank you GOD!!)

Received EAD card: June 20, 2009

2nd Daughter Born: July 13, 2009

Interview Date: July 31, 2009...easy, breezy...Card Production Ordered!

Received 10 year green card : August 14, 2009

Baby Boy is born: May 17, 2012

Apply for Citizenship: October 22, 2012

Interview: January 11, 2013

Oath Date: April 12, 2013 (Covington, KY)

done Done and DONE!!! Praise God!

Now we get to work on getting his family to the US!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

great topic! :thumbs: I am against baby girls getting their ears pierced.

1st bcz when I was a baby I had my ears pierced and they got infected and it happens often. Now I have a new hole right above the one from when I was a baby.

2nd I dont think its necessary for the baby to have earrings and it should be when they are older and mature.

3rd bcz I hate seeing babies in my walmart always getting their ears pierced, it breaks my heart to see them sleeping and then the moms take them out and hold them tight just to have their ears pierced ... then the crying, red faced, sad look starts... its hard to watch and I feel bad for the babies.

I havent talked to Adam about it yet, but Im sure he would agree with my decisions.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I had mine pierced as a baby. Most Indian girls do. I am glad it was done when I was so young because when I got second piercings in my ears at 23, I was scared out of my mind. If I had a daughter I would have hers pierced young as well. Jewelry (and gold) is a pretty important part of Indian culture, at least within my community and family. My aunt pierced her daughter's ears with a needle--it was quick and gentle, and not as damaging as guns.

AOS, EAD and AP Journey

* Married on March 18, 2009.

* Papers mailed on May 8, 2009, arrived at Chicago lockbox on May 10, 2009

* Check cashed on May 14, 2009.

* NOAs for AOS, EAD, and AP issued on May 14, 2009 and received on May 18, 2009.

* Biometrics letter received on May 20, 2009.

* Biometrics appointment on June 4, 2009 at 8 am.

* EAD and AOS touched on June 5, 2009.

* EAD card production ordered and AP approved on June 17, 2009.

* EAD card received on June 25, 2009.

* AP received on June 26, 2009.

* Celebrating five years as a couple with much-delayed reception on June 27, 2009. What a journey it has been.

* Case transferred to CSC on July 14, 2009.

* Received noticed that case is pending at CSC on July 21, 2009.

* AOS touched on July 31, 2009.

* Card production orderd on August 12, 2009.

* Green Card received on August 21, 2009.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was so worried about the genital (mutilation) concerns with having a girl that I didn't even think of the ears. Talked to Ahmed about it today after reading this and he wants them done when our girl (if and when we have one) is very young. He didn't specify how young though. Guess this will be something I get to deal with too. (btw, we won't have to worry about the initial concern either. He got schooled)

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Filed: Timeline

Well, I posted because today we had an appointment for Nour at 1pm. I wanted to know everyone's opinions and experiences.

BTW---We cancelled and will not be rescheduling anytime soon.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I think everyone has some great advice whether for or against.

(Next up, should babies lay on their back or belly) JOKING

Thanks everyone! (F)

Timeline
Well, I posted because today we had an appointment for Nour at 1pm. I wanted to know everyone's opinions and experiences.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I think everyone has some great advice whether for or against.

Thanks everyone! (F)

It was a good question and I'm glad you brought it up so we could at least know the pros and cons.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Nawal, love the superman and ballerina girl pics by the way!!

I never thought of this discussion but God granted me a son with my husband for a reason :blush:

I mentioned it to him last night and he said if we had a daughter and putting a hole somewhere that God didn't make one was terroristic!! He got himself all in a wad over it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks everyone! (F)

It was a good question and I'm glad you brought it up so we could at least know the pros and cons.

from what i've seen, the cons sure outweigh the pros.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.