I'm Gone

What Is the Topic?

194 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I can only think that it must really suck for a guy who's engaged to a Pinay, and wants to join in in the PI forum, but doesn't speak Tagalog. I mean, not being ethnocentric, but if someone is going to move to the US, they'd better know English, or at least be learning it. Ergo, doesn't it make sense to practice your English on a forum where there are a lot of people from your area that are ALSO learning/practicing English? Proficiency comes with practice. I know that if I were moving to France, I would be using French as much as possible so that I could understand what the locals are saying, and so that I could function in my adopted society.

Yes, some of the PI husbands learn Tagalog. But not all of them have, or even can. Languages are just really difficult for some people. Doesn't it make sense that they should be able to participate in the PI forum as well?

110% agreed with you. But I don't think it's our (collective VJ "us") business to enforce it. It might be a good idea for PI forum members to continue to try constructively making this argument though. I don't think it's healthy for a forum to further break down into the English vs native-speakers crowd, to the point where the one group has almost no knowledge of the other group. (and I realize I'm leaving myself open here to the "well that's what the regional forums as a whole do" crowd, but for a number of reasons I don't think this is the case.)

I'm curious...what seems to be the main driving force behind the resistance to posting in English?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure why they post in Tagalog, but it is aggravating not knowing what is being said. How can I help someone who has a question when I don't even know what they are asking. I am married to a Filipina and her main dialect is Waray Waray and she speaks Tagalog too.

I don't think VJ should get rid of the Regional Forums, but I think there should be maybe some guidelines on the language that is being used. After all, this is an American website that caters to everyone who wants to or is immigrating to the USA. There would be mass confusion here if everyone posted in their language or dialect...

I am planning to move to the philippines when I retire and I will have to learn their language when I move there. I don't have a problem with that! It's only fair because I would be in their country. Respect is the key to all of this...

Anyway, my 2 cents......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

How many topics are in Tagalog? Maybe a subforum there (if enough posts) to keep things more organized?

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Most of them.

They may not start out that way, but it seems that they always end up that way.

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

I don't think all the regional subforums should be taken down. I'm just frustrated at the rift thats beginning in the Philippines forum. I like to read that forum because my wife is from Philippines. I use it as another place to learn about my wife's culture, background, and other Filipina specific things. Maybe they are discussing something that pertains to my wife as well and would help me and her a lot to adjust here. When the posts are in tagalog the husbands and fiances are always asking for them to translate. Most are usually met with a "don't be so narrow minded" or "learn tagalog if you wan't to know what we are saying." I even recommended them to make a specific thread where they can talk tagalog and I was ignored. I know that these women want to speak Taglog to their filipinas since they are all in the same situation, and I don't want to take that away from them. I just wish they kept it in a separate place, otherwise the Philippines section might as well be Tagalog forum.

Sorry if my thoughts are scattered, I keep getting interrupted by the wife ;)

Good to you too mox :)

My Visa Journey

Removal of Conditions

03/11/11 - Sent I-751

03/14/11 - I-751 Received

03/14/11 - NOA

04/13/11 - Biometrics

05/31/11 - Approved!

06/04/11 - 10 Year Green Card Received!

AOS

07/13/08 - Wedding

08/13/08 - Sent AOS

08/19/08 - NOA for AOS and EAD

11/21/08 - EAD Received (100 days)

04/14/09 - Interview (224 days)

04/25/09 - Green Card Received!

I-129F

09/13/07 - Sent I-129F

11/06/07 - NOA1 (54 days)

02/04/08 - NOA2 (144 days)

04/16/08 - Interview! (216 days)

04/29/08 - Visa delayed.

05/12/08 - Visa on hand! (242 days)

05/20/08 - US Entry

hvV4m7.png

How many topics are in Tagalog? Maybe a subforum there (if enough posts) to keep things more organized?

Well, another of the problems with that forum in particular, is the discussion of members and planning of "attacks" against them, written in tagalog. It has been done often enough that I'm sure many people automatically suspect such when they see a thread all in tagalog.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I think, and this is just me, i think, that if it has to do with AOS, it goes in the AOS forum, if its K1 related it goes in the K1 forum, if its food, clothing, or missing your country, it stays in that reginal forum. I dont think its that hard to get, and putting " PLEASE KEEP IN SO AND SO FORUM" should not be exempt from a move. Its a cop out way of complaining if or when the thread is moved.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

I think, and this is just me, i think, that if it has to do with AOS, it goes in the AOS forum, if its K1 related it goes in the K1 forum, if its food, clothing, or missing your country, it stays in that reginal forum. I dont think its that hard to get, and putting " PLEASE KEEP IN SO AND SO FORUM" should not be exempt from a move. Its a cop out way of complaining if or when the thread is moved.

:thumbs:

Well, another of the problems with that forum in particular, is the discussion of members and planning of "attacks" against them, written in tagalog. It has been done often enough that I'm sure many people automatically suspect such when they see a thread all in tagalog.

Really?! Jeez. Sounds like we need a moderator who speaks Tag to enforce the ToS.

Completely disagree, which I know comes as a huge shock. :) Unless there is overwhelming need for a post to be moved, it needs to stay in the regional forum where it was posted. That goes doubly so for a post where the author has gone to the extra trouble of making their wishes that it stay in the regional forum known.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Don't forget those grey area posts. If a thread can fit in either (for example) the UK forum OR the AOS forum AND it was posted in the UK forum, then it should stay in the UK forum.

That's the current guidelines as per Ewok.

Don't forget those grey area posts. If a thread can fit in either (for example) the UK forum OR the AOS forum AND it was posted in the UK forum, then it should stay in the UK forum.

And if it's in the RU forum, it stays in the RU forum no matter what. Per the current guidelines that Ewok told me in a dream. :D

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And if it's in the RU forum, it stays in the RU forum no matter what. Per the current guidelines that Ewok told me in a dream. :D

:bonk:

Well, if your dreams are full of 3 foot tall furry dudes then that probably says more about you than anything else! :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is true only if the RU forum is also in Las Vegas.

YMMV