MichelleMcK

Working for Canadian Company

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

With all that has been discussed here about the intending immigrant not being allowed to continue to work for their foreign employer after their arrival in the US, I am curious how that aligns with this statement in the Affidavit of Support I-864 application under other income that can be counted if the petitioner cannot meet the support obligations on their own:

Income from the intending immigrant, if that income willcontinue from the same source after immigration, and if theintending immigrant is currently living in your residence. Ifthe intending immigrant is your spouse, his or her incomecan be counted regardless of current residence, but it mustcontinue from the same source after he or she becomes alawful permanent resident.

I think this can be used as an argument in support of continuing to work for your Canadian employer after he is in the US.

I am also curious about how those who 'border cross' to work every day in Canada handled this. Did they take a leave of absence from their Canadian employers while waiting for EAD/AOS? K-3s in particular are allowed to cross the border so have no problems leaving the country and returning on a daily basis. Their income continues to be the same and they are still working for the employer they worked for when living in Canada. It looks like they are allowed to include their income for AOS from employment prior to AOS if they are married to their US sponsor. It doesn't state anywhere that this must be US based income.

I don't think the issue is as clear cut as some believe.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
With all that has been discussed here about the intending immigrant not being allowed to continue to work for their foreign employer after their arrival in the US, I am curious how that aligns with this statement in the Affidavit of Support I-864 application under other income that can be counted if the petitioner cannot meet the support obligations on their own:

Income from the intending immigrant, if that income willcontinue from the same source after immigration, and if theintending immigrant is currently living in your residence. Ifthe intending immigrant is your spouse, his or her incomecan be counted regardless of current residence, but it mustcontinue from the same source after he or she becomes alawful permanent resident.

I think this can be used as an argument in support of continuing to work for your Canadian employer after he is in the US.

I am also curious about how those who 'border cross' to work every day in Canada handled this. Did they take a leave of absence from their Canadian employers while waiting for EAD/AOS? K-3s in particular are allowed to cross the border so have no problems leaving the country and returning on a daily basis. Their income continues to be the same and they are still working for the employer they worked for when living in Canada.

Ohhh.... Good catch, Kathryn! Definitely interesting. I wonder if the the right-hand of the USCIS knows what the left-hand is sharing in the form of information?

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Trust funds can continue, and I've known a couple or few former VJers over the years who have "self sponsored" because they were trust frund babies.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Correct. He cannot legally work in the US, even for a foreign company, until he has EAD.

Unfortunately, the law has not kept up with technology. So while it is technologically possible, it is not legally advisable.

K1 is work authorized, but only if he gets the stamp at POE I think. And only for the 90 days. So the quicker you get married and file AOS/EAD the better.

Could you specifically request a stamp at the POE? Would bringing a letter from a potential employer in the US encourage them to do so?

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Correct. He cannot legally work in the US, even for a foreign company, until he has EAD.

Unfortunately, the law has not kept up with technology. So while it is technologically possible, it is not legally advisable.

K1 is work authorized, but only if he gets the stamp at POE I think. And only for the 90 days. So the quicker you get married and file AOS/EAD the better.

Could you specifically request a stamp at the POE? Would bringing a letter from a potential employer in the US encourage them to do so?

Unfortunately, no (from my understanding)... that would be good for a work Visa. They very rarely grant (in fact recently, I believe all POEs stopped granting) EADs at the POE.

Such a BUMMER for those of us going through the process now! :angry:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Income from the intending immigrant, if that income willcontinue from the same source after immigration, and if the intending immigrant is currently living in your residence. If the intending immigrant is your spouse, his or her income can be counted regardless of current residence, but it must continue from the same source after he or she becomes a lawful permanent resident.

I am also curious about how those who 'border cross' to work every day in Canada handled this. Did they take a leave of absence from their Canadian employers while waiting for EAD/AOS? K-3s in particular are allowed to cross the border so have no problems leaving the country and returning on a daily basis. Their income continues to be the same and they are still working for the employer they worked for when living in Canada. It looks like they are allowed to include their income for AOS from employment prior to AOS if they are married to their US sponsor. It doesn't state anywhere that this must be US based income.

It is interesting.

What about this part - 'after he or she becomes a lawful permanent resident'

That part of the quote would seem to indicate that you have to wait until you are deemed to be a permanent resident - which you really aren't with a K1 or K3 until you Adjust Status - correct?

Timeline

It seems to me that quote says that you as the immigrant can use that source of income towards the affidavit of support as long as that source of income is going to continue to exist after you become a permanent resident. Working for a foreign employer, if it can be done at a distance, sounds like it qualifies if that income source will continue to exist after AOS is granted. Since an EAD wouldn't be issued until after the AOS application has been submitted (unless you are adjusting from an employment based visa), that means it may be non-EAD employment. That means, you would be working prior to AOS as well as after AOS from the same income source. Nowhere does it mention that that income source is a) not employment based or b ) only US based, c) on an existing EAD - which implies non-US based non-EAD based employment is allowed.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline
It seems to me that quote says that you as the immigrant can use that source of income towards the affidavit of support as long as that source of income is going to continue to exist after you become a permanent resident. Working for a foreign employer, if it can be done at a distance, sounds like it qualifies if that income source will continue to exist after AOS is granted. Since an EAD wouldn't be issued until after the AOS application has been submitted (unless you are adjusting from an employment based visa), that means it may be non-EAD employment. That means, you would be working prior to AOS as well as after AOS from the same income source. Nowhere does it mention that that income source is a) not employment based or b ) only US based, c) on an existing EAD - which implies non-US based non-EAD based employment is allowed.

True - but the I-864 is also used for other visas - like the IR1/CR1 - and a K visa is a non-immigrant visa.

I'm not saying that a K person is not entitled to work, or work cross border or anything btw - just think it's an interesting topic.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Timeline

Do a quick search, IIRC in March 2009 K1 visa holders are no longer work authorized even with the stamp - which they shouldn't give.

Timeline

Do a quick search, IIRC in March 2009 K1 visa holders are no longer work authorized even with the stamp - which they shouldn't give.

Maybe this is why K-1ers are having a hard time with EI, because of this change.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Maybe this is why K-1ers are having a hard time with EI, because of this change.

awwww man..... :ranting: That is bad news, my friends... bad news!!!

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

That is authorization to work in the US - not to continue employment for their foreign employer if they can do so. To collect EI you have to be available for work and if you are working in the US, until you have documentation to work in the US you are not available for work - hence no EI. Different kettle of fish than working for an ongoing employer.

And yes, I realize the AOS is for other categories of applicants. I still think that, in lack of information to the contrary, what is said in the I-864 affidavit of support is very interesting.

Timeline
I did it, and so did a lot of others. It's not illegal. Though you'll find many on VJ who will argue the point. Some feel they are experts in things which they have no expertise or background in. Suffice it to say they are wrong and don't even bother arguing the point.

The EAD only authorizes work for an American employer. The US has no jurisdiction for authorizing employment for a Canadian-based company. Just make sure the Canadian company knows he's a non-resident so he gets taxed appropriately, then claim that income in both your US and Canadian tax return. Easy peasy.

I'm popping this answer up to the top :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.