Nich-Nick

AOS-Filing (or Compiling) in October 2008

168 posts in this topic

Hi Sal...Hi John Hall...

So glad you came to join us. I had to fly to the UK Saturday (arrive Sunday). My fiance had the movers coming to get his boxes today and a flight scheduled for Sept 30 to finally come to Texas. Well he had a little accident and called me from the emergency room. He has a broken collarbone, and broken ribs. He's in a lot of pain and his arm is in a sling. Luckily I had enough frequent flyer miles left to come help him get sorted and moved. It's a crazy end of the journey. I evacuated my home on Sept 10 in advance of Hurricane Ike. We are about 10 miles from the coast. After returning home, had no electricity or stores open. So just when my town was limping back to life and I got electricity, I pop off over the pond for 11 days with just a few hours planning. I still had things packed from evacuating, so just brought those without much thought. The casual wedding for a few friends is supposed to be 4 days after we return. Nothing planned yet since half the town doesn't have power and the schools aren't even back in session, but it's not about the wedding, it's about our lives together.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Looks like there is some activity here although it is not even October yet ;)

Nich...sorry your man got injured... I reeally hope he gets well soon! and it is so nice that you could go over there to help him and be with him!

Those numerous trips to Brazil were good for something..lol (inside joke ;) )

I129-F sent: 03-17-2008

NOA1: 03-24-2008

NOA2: 06-04-2008

Interview: 07-10-2008 - APPROVED!!!

Going back home: 07-23-2008 yaaaaay

Court house wedding: 10-09-2008

AOS sent: 10-16-2008

NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP: 10-22-2008

Case transfered to CSC: 11-07-2008

Biometrics: 11-12-2008

EAD an AP approved: 12-23-2008

AOS approved: 2-27-09

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello, Guys!! Please count me in as another member of the AOS October fillers.

Are there any K3-ers around? Have you been able to figure out the Medical exam? In some forums I've read it is enough to send your vaccination card if you have been recently approved for a K3. In others, I've read you have to take your spouse to a doctor. Any clues?

I-130, I-129F

June, 07: Sent I-130, CSC

July, 07: Sent I-129F, CSC

March,08: I-130, I-129F Approved

Sept,08: Interview in Bogota, Approved

AOS

Oct, 08: AOS and EAD docs. mailed to Chicago

Oct, 08: NOA1

Nov, 08: Biometrics

Mar, 09: AOS Interview. Approved

Apr, 09: GC Received.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hello there my fellow filers.

We'll be back posting regularly now. Not wanting to say too much about the wedding thing, hope you guys understand. You just never know who's reading this, family members et al....... But we sent of our AOS packet on Saturday, so hopefully trying to get things moving.

I got to meet my baby for the first time last night, they were yawning and had the hiccups. We could see it plain as day on the ultrasound screen!!!!!

Good luck to you all and we'll be sure to keep you all updated as we go along.

K1

04/05/2008 - I-129F Sent to VSC

04/10/2008 - I-129F NOA1 Received

07/20/2008 - I-129F NOA2 Received (106 Days after filing)

08/08/2008 - Packet 3 Received

08/09/2008 - Packet 3 Sent

08/12/2008 - Medical

08/25/2008 - Packet 4 Received

09/04/2008 - Interview - Approved!!!!

09/08/2008 - Visa Received

09/12/2008 - US Entry (EDI-JFK-PIT)

AOS

09/27/2008 - AOS Packet Sent

10/02/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

10/20/2008 - I-485 Transferred To CSC

10/28/2008 - Biometrics

11/28/2008 - I-765 and I-131 Received

02/03/2009 - I-485 Card Production Ordered

Removal of Conditions

11/06/2010 - I-751 Sent to VSC

11/08/2010 - I-751 Received at VSC

11/09/2010 - NOA for I-751

11/15/2010 - Check Cashed

11/17/2010 - NOA Hard Copy Received

12/07/2010 - Biometrics in Pittsburgh

Citizenship

11/06/2010 - Filing Date

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey all! We're baaack!! We were married 8/31 and now it is time to send the guv more $$$. Most of my AOS forms are filed out and ready, but I had a quick ? regarding the K2. I know I need a separate I-684, but do I take her off of Lada's form and make her the intended immigrant on her own form, or do I leave Lada's I-684 with daughter and then send a duplicate for daughter. I've looked all over, but there just isn't much detail when it comes to the K2 portion of this mess. I hope to get it filed next week so I am glad I found this thread! :thumbs:

Mark and Lada

Charlotte/Volgograd

US/Russia

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

US Entry : 2008-07-15

Marriage : 2008-08-31

I-485 Filed 10-16/2008

I-485 Approved 1-11-2009

I-751 Filed for K2 8-2-2010

Hi Everybody :star:

We are now in the USA. Yesterday we went to get our marriage license. We are getting married on Sunday afternoon (10/5) and can get a copy of our marriage certificate on Monday if we take the completed license in, rather than having the officiant mail it. They said it only takes about 5 minutes to register the marriage and give us a certificate. So hopefully we will have AOS filed shortly after. I have the forms filled in except for a few blanks.

To Mark and Lada--are you talking about the Affidavit of Support I-864?? If so, I think this answers your question. It's from the instructions for the form, page 4.

Often a spouse or minor children obtain visas or adjust status as dependents of a relative, based on the same visa petition. If you are sponsoring such dependents, you only need to provide a photocopy of the original Form I-864, as long as these dependents are immigrating at the same time as the principal immigrant or within six months of the time he or she immigrates to the United States. You do not need to provide copies of the supporting documents for each of the photocopied Forms I-864.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

We are married! :dance:

I'm working on getting the AOS documents together. I think everything is done, but we just need to double check it all and put it in an organized packet and get it mailed. Too many other things have been stealing our attention so we need to focus and get it done today.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

We are married! :dance:

I'm working on getting the AOS documents together. I think everything is done, but we just need to double check it all and put it in an organized packet and get it mailed. Too many other things have been stealing our attention so we need to focus and get it done today.

Congratulations!! Just don't forget to sign! :star: :star:

AOS Timeline:

• Date Filed : 2008-08-28
  • NOA Date : 2008-09-03
  • RFE: 2008-09-19
  • Biometrics Appt. : 2008-09-23
  • RFE Mailed: 2008-10-06
  • RFE Delivered: 2008-10-10
  • Case Processing Resumed: 2008-10-16
  • I-485 TOUCHES: 2008-10-17, 2008-10-20, 2008-10-21
  • EAD Approved: 2008-11-06 (Day 70)
  • AP Approved: 2008-11-06 (Day 70)
  • AP Received: 2008-11-12
  • EAD Received: 2008-11-18
  • AOS GC Interview Letter Received: 2008-11-18
  • AOS GC Interview: 2009-01-12 - APPROVED!

We have officially filed for AOS. It went in Thursday's mail. :dance:

I hope we signed everything and included everything. We went over it several times. Something that I hadn't worked out earlier was that you need 6 passport photos to do the AOS, EAD, and AP all together. I called the USCIS to ask them that and the lady told me even though the applications go in the same envelope, you have to submit evidence as if each was a stand alone and said yes to 2 pictures for each of the three applications. So read the instructions for each of the three and make 3 copies of the passport photo page and visa page, I-94, etc. Not sure if that's what others have done, but the mis-information line at USCIS said to so we did. I guess I haven't been reading up on the AOS process too much. Things got a little crazy with the hurricane evacuation, quick trip to UK because of Nicks broken bones, back to the US on a Tuesday and put together a wedding for the weekend. Whew! It's been a crazy pace. And if we get an RFE, so what...we're together and we're married and that's what counts. :yes:

Today we went to the Social Security office hoping that 11 days was long enough after POE for Nick's name to be in the required database. It was and the card has been ordered. We did take that document that is suggested here on VJ showing that a K1 is authorized to get a Social Security number. You see alot on the SS website and posted in the office that you must have an EAD to apply. Here's the most recent version of the document: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/links/0100203500 Section C is the important part.

The young lady who helped us seemed a little inexperienced. She asked if he didn't get a SS card from immigration. I told her that was for a CR1 visa and this was fiance. Later she asked, "they only gave you 90 days on your visa?" So I had to brief her a little on the process. When she was done, I asked if we could come back to find out what the SS number is because I have read that people go back the next day and can get a receipt of some kind that shows their number instead of waiting 2 weeks for the card. A man sitting near her seemed to be the boss and he said, had she entered some code before she submitted the application they could do that. But because she had completed the applicaton, they couldn't go back and we just had to wait. So she turned to us and said we should have asked to do that before....duh...like we know what their system is or what she's typing once he handed over the passport and I-94. Anyway, nice to have that done and checked off the list.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

Congrats on your filing for AOS, Nich! As we are on the subject, I'd like to ask whether it is mandatory (for women, that is) to apply for the SSN before the wedding (therefore in our maiden name), or if we can wait until after the wedding in order to apply for it in our married name. The second option would make things much easier indeed.

I don't think you need a SS# for anything before the marriage unless your state has some kind of rule for a marriage license. Our AOS, etc papers had "NONE" in the blanks that asked for SS#(if any). Our marriage license info from our county says you need photo id and social security number, but when I called them and explained the situation, they said only the passport would be required. She said if you have a SS# you are required to give it to them. I noticed a couple of weeks later, the website has changed to say "Social Security number if you have one." The only hitch I can think of is when Nick applied for SS#, she only put his first and last name (not middle name that he put on the application) because she said she was required to take the name exactly as written on the I-94. Well that card you fill out on the plane doesn't have a place for middle name. So don't know if that's a random thing some offices do or not but she would not issue his SS card with his middle name. So perhaps you might have to have it issued as written on your I-94, but maybe if you went in with the marriage license in hand after the wedding they could do something different.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey Everyone! :)

We're about to file our AOS. We were married in August, but put it off as we had quite alot of things to do. Honeymoon and the likes. :D

Hope everyone is settling down well in their new lives. I'm loving it. Although my hubby has to go away next week for a month TDY with the air force. :(

So I'll be back on here religiously keeping an eye on any new developments. :whistle:

I do have a quick question though with regards to the I-864. My hubby filled it out and then added my son to Part 3 where it states something about family members immigrating at the same time :unsure:

Question is do we have to have a separate form for my son or do we just add him to our original form?

Thankfully this is the only confusing part of the procedure so far. :wacko:

Thanks again.

Linda and Chad :thumbs:

I do have a quick question though with regards to the I-864. My hubby filled it out and then added my son to Part 3 where it states something about family members immigrating at the same time :unsure:

Question is do we have to have a separate form for my son or do we just add him to our original form?

Thankfully this is the only confusing part of the procedure so far. :wacko:

Thanks again.

Linda and Chad :thumbs:

If you look at the instructions to the form, at the bottom of p.3 and top of p.4, it talks about that. Every immigrant needs an I-864, but in the case of children who come on the same visa petition as the mom, a photocopy of your I-864 is acceptable.

"If you are sponsoring such dependents, you only need to provide a photocopy of the original Form I-864, as long as these dependents are immigrating at the same time as the principal immigrant or within six months of the time he or she immigrates to the United States. You do not need to provide copies of the supporting documents for each of the photocopied Forms I-864."

So it looks like the original form goes in for you and a photocopy of it to cover your son.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Hi everyone

Married last Tuesday, and just waiting for the Marriage Certificate, before I start the AOS, AP and (I Guess?) another EAD as I got the 90 day one by coming through JFK, albeit a rather pathetic little red stamp on the back of the I94 that might not impress any prospective employer.

Ah well HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Best Wishes to all.

John

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi all,

Sent my paperwork off on friday, damn what a lot of paper i had to send for me and my daughter.

nick-nich - guess i should of got off my lazy ### and posted on thursady (hehehehe) then we would of been on the same time line again :D

well heres wishing everyone good look with AOS and hope it goes smoothly.

check out my time line and dont forget to update yours too :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.