~Jackie~

Ike affecting MENA members

106 posts in this topic

We didn't get hit by the storm really. Just one storm and it wasn't that bad. The one effect we have had is the fuel is running out at the gas stations. Today I noticed I was starting to get low and so I started looking where is cheapest. I passed three gas stations that were either completely out of fuel or only had premium. Found a few that were open, but it was $4.25 a gallon :(

There were some gas stations that when Ike hit Texas, they raised the gas to $4.69 (and we're in michigan!) well supposedly those gas stations got in trouble for gouging. i have seen some now for $3.99 for cash.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Things are getting a little better here. Roads are starting to open in busy areas and businesses are opening their doors. Gas availibility is rare but you can find it. Electric is slowly starting to come back on neighborhood by neighborhood.

My prayers are with you Amal and anybody else that suffered through this. We just got a taste of it and I can't imagine the devastation down south!

Filed: Timeline

Julianna...that is one heck of a list!

I will never get a hurricane......but I do live in tornado alley...I live where 2 feet of snow can fall, I live where a wind storm can take out power for a few days. I live near a nuclear power plant (their list of things to have is NOTHING compared to julianna's list ) :P

I am going to copy your suggestions and get to work on it. I'm going to share it with my daughter for her home. Like I know..I would totally need literature if given down time. But I would add to that list..a good book or two.

You just may have saved a life with that, overdramatic? yea but armed with these things, a person definately would be more comfortable in the event of a disaster.

Jackie (F)

I like the whiskey idea to shut someone up, that made me laugh. And lighters...I guess all the candles in the world wouldn't help if ya didn't have a lighter!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Julianna...that is one heck of a list!

I will never get a hurricane......but I do live in tornado alley...I live where 2 feet of snow can fall, I live where a wind storm can take out power for a few days. I live near a nuclear power plant (their list of things to have is NOTHING compared to julianna's list ) :P

I am going to copy your suggestions and get to work on it. I'm going to share it with my daughter for her home. Like I know..I would totally need literature if given down time. But I would add to that list..a good book or two.

You just may have saved a life with that, overdramatic? yea but armed with these things, a person definately would be more comfortable in the event of a disaster.

Jackie (F)

I like the whiskey idea to shut someone up, that made me laugh. And lighters...I guess all the candles in the world wouldn't help if ya didn't have a lighter!

Your right Jackie, that list could be used for anyone of us who maybe caught in a situation where we lose electric or know that cause of a storm(snow,rain) that we can't get out of our houses to go to the store! I too think i'm gonna make a survival backpack like that. And hahah about the whiskey!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Juliana, WONDERFUL advice! I think I'll print that out and start packing accordingly. We found out from the main office of the apartment complexes that it is probably going to be around 3 weeks more before the electric company gets to us. :blink: all they need to do is snap the transformer clip back on and all will be well with the world. a total of 5 minutes is all it will take but they have to start with the more populated outage communities first so we have to be patient and understand that they are doing the best they can.

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
julianna, good list. extra socks are very important. also have extra shoes too, if possible boots that are waterproof.

also on the food list. canned beans, tuna, and so on. canned peaches, pineapple slices, and especially pears are great when your food choices are limited.

several sets of cheap sunglasses are good. also, include an old set of prescription glasses to this. it may come in very handy.

rain poncho can be a tarp too. at wal-mart :P

note that a swiss army knife has many of the tools you listed under food.

also, i'd add a .40 cal or larger plus 200 rounds, just in case :P

A specialty for hurricanes: Insect Repelllant!

The standing waters left behind go stagnant and become breeding grounds.

Don't forget the medicines as well for your first aid kit (add some benedryl).

Plastic/Paper cups, plates, utensils, towels, tp....

like amal said, those things are scarce now bc no one has the water to do dishes, ect...

Heavy Duty Trash Bags

Good for clean up - keep contained dirty things until you can wash them - tape up windows that were blown out - ect....

Also - know where all of your important insuarance and medical records are and keep them in a container. At minimum keep an emergency list of numbers and information for making claims and getting help for after.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
A specialty for hurricanes: Insect Repelllant!

The standing waters left behind go stagnant and become breeding grounds.

Don't forget the medicines as well for your first aid kit (add some benedryl).

Plastic/Paper cups, plates, utensils, towels, tp....

like amal said, those things are scarce now bc no one has the water to do dishes, ect...

Heavy Duty Trash Bags

Good for clean up - keep contained dirty things until you can wash them - tape up windows that were blown out - ect....

Also - know where all of your important insuarance and medical records are and keep them in a container. At minimum keep an emergency list of numbers and information for making claims and getting help for after.

Thanks girls! It's better to be safe than sorry and you all can so totally adjust your lists to fit your situations. Jackie, Turia and I don't have hurricanes to worry about so lots of hurricane kinds of things don't matter for us... but... we do have other things to worry about and so our lists may look different.

The IDs! I forgot that on my list (well actually i intentionally left it off but I forgot to put ti back lol). There are some things which you should keep on your physical person. IDs to prove who you are so you can come back to an area that is being blocked by the police/government (if anyone has seen the news recently-- a situation like Galveston), also insurance like PB said , medical records, and medical insurance cards... be sure you can basically get the things you need in another location if you have to do so. Also google "altoids survival kit" and consider keeping one on your person as well. If you get seperated from your stuff either because you haev to ditch it for some reason or whatever... there are tiny, mini survival kits which fit inside an altoids can and are meant for spending the night or so away from any supplies. This can be good if you are caught in that situation. You keep it on you with your paperwork and that way you have the bare essentials.

When I worked at the state park, if we went trail-clearing on the longer trails-- the 12 mile ones or so, we would plan to be in and out in a day... but we would pack food, a small survival kit, and a SODA to take with it. Panic is what kills many, many people lost in the woods. they run until exhaustion and then they die. So be careful to not do that :) Also, as counter-productive as it seems, drinking a soda when you haev nothing else to eat, etc can give you a blood-sugar boost and an energy boost when you really need it.

Consider learning the basics about wild foods... I know where I am if i were snowed in car-wise, i know enough about my area to feed myself for probably the winter if I had to.. in the summer, spring and fall it would be a breeze if i were trapped in my own yard. if you're forced to do some walking to another place/stranded this can come into handy. Lots of what we term weeds are actually escaped foods European settlers brought over. Lots of salad greens got away :)

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

we have the powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

just came on last night!!!!! I can't wait to go back to the apt and sleep in my own bed! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for no more spam!!!!!!!!!

Interview-December 2005

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

just came on last night!!!!! I can't wait to go back to the apt and sleep in my own bed! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for no more spam!!!!!!!!!

Hurray!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: It'll be a great feeling! :star: I miss you Amal - we need to talk. ASAP!!!!

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Omg I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

aww thanks girls :) you really make me feel loved here :D:D:D

:dance::dance::dance: for power :dance::dance::dance:

Interview-December 2005

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.