maliciant

How hard is a tourist visa to get

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'd like to have my fiance visit here, but I've read it's difficult to get a tourist visa, especially for women. She has a job, but it's a new job, most likely visitting me would mean losing that job, especially if it's for any significant amount of time (and of course I'd want to allow as much time here as possible while the k1 processing is going on). She lives with her family, so no rent or financial responsibilities, at least not the kind that may count. She doesn't have children or a husband (obviously) waiting in the philippines for her return. Also, she doesn't have a passport yet. I have a few questions about this.

How long does a passport take to get? I know she'll need this for the k1 anyway, but if it takes 3 or 4 months to get a passport, then likely the NOA2 will arrive first, and there won't really be a lot of time for her to fly here (at that point the cost etc, will make more sense to wait until she can fly here and stay).

How long does the tourist visa take?

Are you most likely to get denied the visa, or to get refused entry at PoE?

What counts as strong ties, I think I've already ruled out the strongest ties, with the exception of the return trip ticket which of course she'd have?

Money is an issue here, it's absolutely worth the cost if successful, but at the same time, the plane tickets alone will put me back about a month financially... I can't really afford that if the odds are against her being allowed entry. I'd really like to be together with her during the wait, but I just don't think it's possible. If the denial typically happens before plane tickets are bought, it's a whole different deal than if you spend 28 hours in the air and a pile of money on tickets to be stuck in a small room in the airport for however long it takes to find another 28 hour flight to cram you into. Those kinda flights (especially alone) are hardly what I'd call fun, making two of them in a row... ow. Anyway, can anyone answer the questions I have on this?

Hehehe... I just read this.. awhile ago. Last year, my fiance's parents invited me for holiday vacation because it's like a tradition for them to know their children's affair before getting serious. I applied for tourist visa (without knowing that it's hard to get tourist visa here in the Philippines, esp. for a lady like me). Supposedly, Dec 2007 is my target date for vacation, then I was scheduled for an interview on Sep 2007. Unfortunately, I was denied (Mind you... I can't believe it... Hahaha!). I brought evidences of my strong ties (my bank account, certificate of employment, and graduate school register form), but they didn't check it all even the cards and letter (inviting me over holiday) sent by my fiance's family. Their ground is that I'm still young (I'm 25 that time), and haven't prove stability here (I'm an engineer and I earn more than enough) plus I am studying my master's degree. The consul said that even though they are 90% sure that I will going back, they are still opt for 100%. I feel bad, yes, but I understand their reasons.

But then, maybe this time around, there might be changes. You can try. By the way, getting passport here in Manila is approximately 2 weeks. :)

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.