TheATeam

Mailing Medication

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Funny this came up. I had the same situation happen to me and I'm struggling here in the US because the doctor will not give me more than a one months supply at a time. I need BC for more than just the non-baby factor. I have a hormonal condition that makes me get really sick every month if I don't take the estrogen supplements.

Any way, I went to the doc here and she checked me out and she gave me a years supply...ONE MONTH AT A TIME. I can't seem to make it to the pharmacy every single month on time, and have already missed two months of pills this year. I asked her for 3 months at a time and she said they don't do that here. Not to mention, the pill I took in Canada they do not have in the US and I had to get some dodgy equivalent.

I'm just very frustrated with it all.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife gets her BC in 3 month batches. I know if she needs more than a 3 month supply (she travels) she has to phone up the insurance company and they have to grant some thing like a waiver!! Her overall prescription is good for 1 year,then she has to get another physical completed!

so with regards to 1 month at a time, it may because of ur insurance, ask ur dr, or phone ur insurance co. And again it may depend on the type of BC, or ur DR is juts crazy,lol

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Must be nice! I'd love to have that option since that was what I had in Canada. The doc. here refused to do that for me. I'm thinking about calling up my insurance company and asking them if they can mail me a 3 months supply. Most companies now have those mailing prescription options.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Must be nice! I'd love to have that option since that was what I had in Canada. The doc. here refused to do that for me. I'm thinking about calling up my insurance company and asking them if they can mail me a 3 months supply. Most companies now have those mailing prescription options.

yeah I was just going to suggest that.. with our last insurance they had that option.. I just had to order it online and it came in the mail less then a week later....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I've been meaning to do that for ages but my new health insurance kicks in on the 19th so I will have to wait until then. I'm so organized in my life in accordance with everything else besides this one darn thing I can't seem to remember every month!

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

I just read this thread and there are so many backwards things mentioned here that it's just amazing.

They don't believe you have had your check up so they won't give you more than a months worth of pills? Is it just me or does this make no logical sense whatsoever??

Plus, when did it become the job of a Dr. to hold your pills ransom unless you jump through some hoop - they may well think in their addled brain that they are trying to protect you - however, what happened to freedom of choice, what if you didn't want a check up - does that mean you are not entitled to birth control pills.

And one month at a time? Is that so the insurance company won't overpay in case say you dropped them and went with another company and somehow managed to run off with a month that had already been paid for.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Funny this came up. I had the same situation happen to me and I'm struggling here in the US because the doctor will not give me more than a one months supply at a time. I need BC for more than just the non-baby factor. I have a hormonal condition that makes me get really sick every month if I don't take the estrogen supplements.

Any way, I went to the doc here and she checked me out and she gave me a years supply...ONE MONTH AT A TIME. I can't seem to make it to the pharmacy every single month on time, and have already missed two months of pills this year. I asked her for 3 months at a time and she said they don't do that here. Not to mention, the pill I took in Canada they do not have in the US and I had to get some dodgy equivalent.

I'm just very frustrated with it all.

It may not be your doctor's fault. Health insurance providers will only pay for one month's supply of medication at a time, regardless of what you're looking to get. So while your doctor could "allow" you to get three months worth at once, your health insurance provider would only cover one-third of it.

When your doctor said, "we don't do that here," she was referring to the fact that most patients wouldn't be able to afford to pay for medication out-of-pocket. That's why only one month is given at a time.

If there was a way to prove to your health insurance provider that you require access to more than one month's dosage at a time, then perhaps your doctor would allow it in her prescription. If she still wouldn't at that point, it'd be time to find a different doctor.

As for "some dodgy equivalent," I'm sure whatever you're taking is just as good as what you had in Canada. Believe it or not, the U.S. actually does lead the world in pharmaceutical development. Sometimes names get changed between countries or even the "brand name" and "generic." As long as the active chemicals and the dosage are the same (or as close to it, since birth control pills can vary widely), you will be fine. Unless, of course, you're acquiring your medication from strange some man in a trench coat in a dark alleyway. Then all bets are off. ;)

Timeline

Interesting point actually...with generics.

I was just reading an article in the Orlando Sentinel a couple of weeks ago, about that very thing.

In theory a generic with the same active ingredient should be just find, what they have found after testing many of them is that they do not all perform the same.

What happens with some generics is that the inactive ingredients do not disperse the drug, necessarily, at the same rate as it was intended. So the name brand might give a dose over, say, a 4 hour period, while the generic will give you 90 percent of the dose in the first hour.

Timeline

Some drugs you CAN get for more than 1 month. Phone ur insurance company and see if they allow it.

Yes generic drugs are not 100% copies of the original

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
It may not be your doctor's fault. Health insurance providers will only pay for one month's supply of medication at a time, regardless of what you're looking to get. So while your doctor could "allow" you to get three months worth at once, your health insurance provider would only cover one-third of it.

This may not be the case since it does appear others are getting it more than a one month's supply. To be more specific, the doctor told me that they would not issue me more than one month anywhere in the united states. She's a great doctor, by the way, so I wouldn't go to another. But then my health care provider gave me this thing in the mail which told me that I can sign up to have 3 month's mailed to me at once. Therefore, the information she gave me maybe wasn't true and that is what I was trying to get at.

As for "some dodgy equivalent," I'm sure whatever you're taking is just as good as what you had in Canada. Believe it or not, the U.S. actually does lead the world in pharmaceutical development.

It took doctors 5 years to put me on the right medication in Canada that actually helped me. It was a massive long period of trial and error. When you are putting hormones into your body they are not "all the same.." and the one I am on now is not the exact same as the one I was taking in Canada. It actually does make a difference and I do notice it. They simply do not have that medication here in the US. So, I will have to do with what I have. It's not an attack on the "world's great pharmaceutical power", it is just my little, tiny frustrating problem. That is all ;)

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

thetreble- man that sucks! It's really different here isn't it? And a whole lot frustrating. ~sighs~ Hopefully you'll be able to find a way to fix it! I hope it works out for you.

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline

It will :thumbs: Those are tiny things in life not to be overly concerned about. Although, if I get pregnant....then that is not so tiny. :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Yeah that's for sure! :P That's what hubby said...well, we'll just get you pregnant and then we don't have to worry about it! I said yeah...then we'll have a whole lot of other expenses and issues! ~giggles~

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

OK, maybe this is simplistic - but, whu not have your mum bundle up a t-shirt, some other little trinketmaybe some candy, a foil package of birth control pills - and just mail it to you. On the custom forms, just skip listing the pills. Is this strictly by the book well, no - but, stong chance it will get there - and, well, worth the risk IMHO. Worst case scenario they will be confiscated.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Timeline

Well, she's already sent them. The people at Canada Post told her to list them as toiletries. They should be here by Monday if they get through! My fingers are crossed! :P I'll let you know how it works out!

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.