Nutty

Husband had his first job interview today!

81 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

LOL! My husband is persian. Not Arab. And it isn't that he does not dress well. He dresses fine. But he did not bring his blue suit from Iran. Only casual clothes.

And let's be honest, Americans are highly sensitive to even the slightest body odors. And body odor isn't limited to other cultures. There are some stinkers who are born and raised in good ol' USA!

who told you That we arab men dont wear deotorant and dress well??!!
Edited by Nutty

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

My husband showers DAILY (with soap), is good about all the dental stuff (brushing, flossing). His not offensive in smelling.

But he resists chemical based items like deodorant and mouthwash (alcohol in it?)

sofyan wears deodarent and brushes daily...I thought Hindus didnt wear deodarent, not arab

Im thinking the deodorant thing with my husband has something to do with his skin being so sensitive. I'm going to flat out ask him. Like I said he doesn't smell but his skin is so sensitive if you rub it, it seems to get like welts on it. He has an allergist appointment tomorrow, watch him be allergic to me. Just kidding...

So any news? How did the interview go? My hubby takes a test for AK Steel today. I have no clue how that will go.

Timeline

My husband was offered the job, contingent on him having a car. The salary was extremely low, but that is not a problem. We consider it a "probationary" salary to be renegotiated after three months.

Im thinking the deodorant thing with my husband has something to do with his skin being so sensitive. I'm going to flat out ask him. Like I said he doesn't smell but his skin is so sensitive if you rub it, it seems to get like welts on it. He has an allergist appointment tomorrow, watch him be allergic to me. Just kidding...

So any news? How did the interview go? My hubby takes a test for AK Steel today. I have no clue how that will go.

It went VERY WELL!!!

The man offered the job. But my husband needs a car to get there since he will be "on call." So today my husband is taking the written portion of his drivers test and must make appointment for the driving test. Now we need to get a car.

Nutty, how did the interview go?

LOLOLOLOL!!!

Thank God! My husband has excellent teeth!!! Better than mine! a full set

Of course you all realize (I am sure) that the only reason to go to the dentist is when your tooth hurts. And of course no reason for x-rays because there is only one tooth that has a problem. :whistle:

I am happy to see that you MENA women, for the most part, have some of the same issues here

I think, once my husband gets here, taking care of himself will be routine

it is hard to care about yourself when no one else does

when there is no one to impress or no work to go everyday

I dont tolerate it, I mean how do you tell someone you love and are attracted to, UMMM, YOU HAVE HYGIENE ISSUES??

and if they have those issues how then, are we, attracted to that??

oh ok, in the beginning they are impressing us, so they hide it, I think

after marriage, just the normal comfortableness of it all sets in....

I DUNNO :whistle:

Timeline

I lived outside USA for a long time and have become familiar with other cultures and differences in hygeine care.

As for my husband, he doesn't reek. I find his subtle smell nice. But it doesn't fly when it comes to going for an job interview

I am happy to see that you MENA women, for the most part, have some of the same issues here

I think, once my husband gets here, taking care of himself will be routine

it is hard to care about yourself when no one else does

when there is no one to impress or no work to go everyday

I dont tolerate it, I mean how do you tell someone you love and are attracted to, UMMM, YOU HAVE HYGIENE ISSUES??

and if they have those issues how then, are we, attracted to that??

oh ok, in the beginning they are impressing us, so they hide it, I think

after marriage, just the normal comfortableness of it all sets in....

I DUNNO

:whistle:

Timeline
This reminds me of my man. It's so hard to get him to shower, brush his teeth or wear clean clothes. He'll spend an hour fixing his hair and 30 minutes washing his ####### after going to the point i'm banging on the door to see if he fell in. But shower, take care of his teeth and do laundry?...no. :blink:

I shudder on the days he's out of deoderant and cologne.

My husband showers everyday, brushes three times a day, flosses even. Spends a lot of time on his hair (I can't believe he works so hard to make it look good, when it sooo short). It is just his aversion to things, "Chemical based." I think he has heard the controversy of under arm deodorant as a possible cause of breast cancer. But he isn't a woman. And mouthwash has alcohol in it (so maybe a religious issues here?)

Timeline
my husband showers all the time but wont wear deoderant for some reason. if i tell him u need to put some on cuz he stinks, he will go shower or spray some perfume on his shirt. then he will wear his clothes and put the back in the closet and then wear them again and again and then does the sniff test to see if its time to wash them or not. he dont like his clothes to become old looking from washing them too much....but he will walk around with smelly shirts...what the heck????

funny thing is when i met him the first time i told him his breath stinks did he brush his teeth. he said no i dont brush them but every maybe 5 days and his teeth were perfect....not one cavity. well i wasnt putting up with bad breath so i demanded he start brushing them and now he is getting cavities. how can that be possible?

I like your style!!! Say it straight!!!!

Now brushing and getting cavities???? I can't even hazzard to guess how this would be possible.

Timeline
:unsure: Jihed too... deodorant... showers 1-2 times a day, and washing 5 times a day for prayer, brushes his teeth at least once a day if not more, cologne sometimes but not too often.. Although I admit he's totally guilty of wearing shirts and jeans 3 or 4 times.... 99% it's fine because he's very clean but once in a while if he goes outside on a hot day then tries to wear that shirt again I have to give it a big NO! (But that's not a MENA thing my American step father and brothers do it too... Funky men!!! )

He was weary of the washing machine when he first got here.. Just having never had one before and was in fear it would damage his clothes, spent a few weeks hand washing them and hanging them to dry .. my bathroom looked like a MENA balcony or roof top!! .. but now it's his best friend and there is never anything in the hamper because he thinks it's the cat's meow to run the machines :blush:

sofyan wears deodarent and brushes daily...I thought Hindus didnt wear deodarent, not arab

Washing his clothes all the time by hand???? OMG! That is soo funny! What a labor of love (for ones own clothes).

Hindus wear deodorant. At least the sell it in the shops. But it is soooo expensive (more than here in USA).

Timeline
my husband is obsessed with cleanliness and showers multiple times a day. deodarant, aftershave, baby powder or other stuff on his feet, nails always groomed, always cleanly shaved, slightly metrosexual.

i dont always wear deodarant :)

I think metrosexual is ok. I like it on other men, but it would begin to irritate me if my husband took longer to get ready than the average woman.

Baby powder, even??? WOW!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
This reminds me of my man. It's so hard to get him to shower, brush his teeth or wear clean clothes. He'll spend an hour fixing his hair and 30 minutes washing his ####### after going to the point i'm banging on the door to see if he fell in. But shower, take care of his teeth and do laundry?...no. :blink:

I shudder on the days he's out of deoderant and cologne.

My husband showers everyday, brushes three times a day, flosses even. Spends a lot of time on his hair (I can't believe he works so hard to make it look good, when it sooo short). It is just his aversion to things, "Chemical based." I think he has heard the controversy of under arm deodorant as a possible cause of breast cancer. But he isn't a woman. And mouthwash has alcohol in it (so maybe a religious issues here?)

When I was a young teenager, my mom had the same concern about antiperspirant. She bought us a deodorant (not antiperspirant) called Tussy that just did not do the job :help: and I was happy when I got old enough to buy my own stuff. But I can understand the concern about chemicals.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Timeline

Yup :lol: He was nervous the machine would damage his clothes (not like they were super expensive anyway) and then concerned about the amount of water it used, until I told him I don't pay for water, then concerned about the electricity that it consumed and wanting to know how much I pay for that :wacko:

Another part was just not knowing how to use it and having always washed his clothes by hand. He washed my clothes by hand as well every single time that I was there.... Washed them, took them to the roof, hung them up, took them down when dry (about 25 minutes in a Tunisian summer lol ) and pressed them and folded them, put them all away in his sister's cabinet that I used :wub:

When he got here it just carried over, spending a life time doing his laundry this way. But I finally snapped after days or weeks (can't recall?) of my bathroom having clothes of all shapes and forms hanging from every surface possible and put his stuff in the machine and it came out so clean and smelled so good that he was thrilled and said teach me how to use these things.. I did and now he's the washing man.. Wants to put everything inside of there :blush:

:unsure: Jihed too... deodorant... showers 1-2 times a day, and washing 5 times a day for prayer, brushes his teeth at least once a day if not more, cologne sometimes but not too often.. Although I admit he's totally guilty of wearing shirts and jeans 3 or 4 times.... 99% it's fine because he's very clean but once in a while if he goes outside on a hot day then tries to wear that shirt again I have to give it a big NO! (But that's not a MENA thing my American step father and brothers do it too... Funky men!!! )

He was weary of the washing machine when he first got here.. Just having never had one before and was in fear it would damage his clothes, spent a few weeks hand washing them and hanging them to dry .. my bathroom looked like a MENA balcony or roof top!! .. but now it's his best friend and there is never anything in the hamper because he thinks it's the cat's meow to run the machines :blush:

Washing his clothes all the time by hand???? OMG! That is soo funny! What a labor of love (for ones own clothes).

Hindus wear deodorant. At least the sell it in the shops. But it is soooo expensive (more than here in USA).

Edited by Ash * Habibati

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When I met my hunny, I think we hugged or something and I took a whiff of his armpit and made a face at him. It was instinct!!! I didn't have to time to think before I reacted!!!!! :bonk:

Well, from the horrified look on his face and the fact that he's worn deodorant everyday the times I've gone back to see him, I think it set in. The great thing is that we've never even had that "talk". My face was all it took. And it wasn't on purpose. :devil:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Don't get me wrong....I like my husbands body odor (when it is mild - a few hours after showering)!!! Quite sexy! But maybe not everyone else would appreciate it. And Americans are highly sensitive to body smells. I noticed even when living in Germany the Germans didn't mind a little BO (especially in winter). But with American military staff serving there, it was a constant joke about the "smelly Germans."

My husband is a chemical engineer. So he's adverse to using "chemical products" like mouthwash, deodorant....

There is one synthetic winter jacket he has that is so impregnated with BO, that even after washing it once, it still smells. And when you open the closet, the smell hits you in the face. It is contaminating all his other clothes!!!

Nutty, to get it super clean and rid of any odor, throw about a cup or two of baking soda in the wash....it will help greatly. :dance::dance::dance:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
When I met my hunny, I think we hugged or something and I took a whiff of his armpit and made a face at him. It was instinct!!! I didn't have to time to think before I reacted!!!!! :bonk:

Well, from the horrified look on his face and the fact that he's worn deodorant everyday the times I've gone back to see him, I think it set in. The great thing is that we've never even had that "talk". My face was all it took. And it wasn't on purpose. :devil:

Whatever works! :jest:

Don't get me wrong....I like my husbands body odor (when it is mild - a few hours after showering)!!! Quite sexy! But maybe not everyone else would appreciate it. And Americans are highly sensitive to body smells. I noticed even when living in Germany the Germans didn't mind a little BO (especially in winter). But with American military staff serving there, it was a constant joke about the "smelly Germans."

My husband is a chemical engineer. So he's adverse to using "chemical products" like mouthwash, deodorant....

There is one synthetic winter jacket he has that is so impregnated with BO, that even after washing it once, it still smells. And when you open the closet, the smell hits you in the face. It is contaminating all his other clothes!!!

Nutty, to get it super clean and rid of any odor, throw about a cup or two of baking soda in the wash....it will help greatly. :dance::dance::dance:

I was kind of wondering about that, or perhaps some vinegar, then nutralize with baking soda.

I hope this works out for you and your hubby Nutty. You sure could use a little help in the stress department right now. It isn't easy is it! :wacko:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.