crs

Business trip to US while I129F pending

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey everyone,

as many of you know, we received our NOA1 at the end of July, and we currently waiting to be approved :)

We hope that will happen by mid -end November.

I have a business trip planned in the US for my company for the weeks of Dec 8-19 under the VWP (which, of course, would also allow me to see my fiance)

I certainly will not have the K1 visa on my passport by then, so that does not worry me much, but there is (I hope!!!!) chance that we will have been approved by then.

My question is: when I go for my business trip, will they care that I have a pending K1 visa application? Will they actually know at all? Of course that shows that I have strong ties to my home country (such as... a job), but is it possible to take a business trip on VWP when the I129F is already approved? Did anyone happen to have the same situation?

Thank you for your helppppppp :=

Cri

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey everyone,

as many of you know, we received our NOA1 at the end of July, and we currently waiting to be approved :)

We hope that will happen by mid -end November.

I have a business trip planned in the US for my company for the weeks of Dec 8-19 under the VWP (which, of course, would also allow me to see my fiance)

I certainly will not have the K1 visa on my passport by then, so that does not worry me much, but there is (I hope!!!!) chance that we will have been approved by then.

My question is: when I go for my business trip, will they care that I have a pending K1 visa application? Will they actually know at all? Of course that shows that I have strong ties to my home country (such as... a job), but is it possible to take a business trip on VWP when the I129F is already approved? Did anyone happen to have the same situation?

Thank you for your helppppppp :=

Cri

Your entry now is no different than before... You must be able to prove (if ask) that you will depart...

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
You should be fine, especially since it's business trip. Be honest with the officers at the border and show sugnifican proof of ties to Italy :)

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

So I have a couple more questions: does it make a difference that the petition I129f is approved or still pending, given that you dont have a visa stamped on your passport yet?

Do they care if you went for business or pleasure? Because I am going for business, but really I wouldnt care about going if it wasnt also to see my fiancee and spend christmas with him. So it is simply this: I have the chance to go with a free ticket, work for 2 weeks and then see him for 1 week at Christmas, when tickets are so expensive :) Do they care at any stage? I just get so frustrated with people getting denied even when they have bonafide relationships, that I think of any possible thing that might happen ! I just want to be with him :)

So I have a couple more questions: does it make a difference that the petition I129f is approved or still pending, given that you dont have a visa stamped on your passport yet?

No.

Do they care if you went for business or pleasure?

Yes. They will ask you the question, you will answer it honestly. It's that simple.

Read: Visitation FAQ's

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

For the visa interview they could care less about how many visits and why you came as long as you abided by the rules and did not for example overstay...

YMMV

I'm getting a little lost in your plans, but I wanted to say. If you should have the interview and get the K1 visa before the business trip, then that's your one-time entry into the US with the K1, no matter why you're going (business.) If the visa is in your passport, they activate it when you enter the country. So unless you're all packed up and ready to stay you should think about the timing of things. I've read a few posts about "can I tell them not to activate the K1 now" but that's probably tricky. So you might want to think about interviewing after the trip. Also if it times out just so, they could be scheduling your interview right in the middle of your trip. Just wanted to point out a few possibilites since you think it's possible to get NOA2 by that time.

We had a similar situation and asked for an interview after x date in the cover letter we sent back with documents. I don't know how Italy schedules their interview or if you mail docs in ahead of time, but you could be prepared if it all comes together at the same time as your business trip.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thank you. My question "Do they care" is more referred to the K1 interview stage then the POE of the visit. Do you know anything about that?

Yes. I travelled back and forth before I had the visa and after I had the visa. Before I had the visa I brought proof of my ties to Canada, along with copies of the K-1 application and NOAs, and it was not an issue. When I was at the interview I asked about travelling with the visa in my passport as I also had to travel for business. The officer told me there was no policy stating the visa had to be used at the POE. That I could choose to use it or not. Having said that, however, he specifically stated that it was ALWAYS up to the officer at the POE whether they made you use it or not. He gave me the choice of sending in my passport when I was ready for the visa, or having it issued that day. I chose to have them issue it that day. When I went through the POE (prior to using the visa) I just explained to them that I would not be using it until such time as I had resigned from my position and sold my home. I did not have a problem, but that's just my own experience. Others, I am sure, will have a very different story to tell.

iagree.gif

I was simply thinking that my petition is possibly gonna be approved by then, but I certainly will not have a K visa stamped. So my plans are s to go before the K1 visa and then get back, go for the interview, and then quit my job and move etc. So the "not activated" thing is not the issue, I am sorry if I was being confusing. I just meant, would they care at the interview when they open my passport and see that I travelled to the US just a few weeks before going to the interview.

I was simply thinking that my petition is possibly gonna be approved by then, but I certainly will not have a K visa stamped. So my plans are s to go before the K1 visa and then get back, go for the interview, and then quit my job and move etc. So the "not activated" thing is not the issue, I am sorry if I was being confusing. I just meant, would they care at the interview when they open my passport and see that I travelled to the US just a few weeks before going to the interview.

No :no: The best of luck with your journey together :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.