Legal Fiction

Shortest possible timeline for Canadian Fiance

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi "Y'all"

So I'm a Canadian marrying a Merkin (also know as an American). Just like "all y'alls" I am scared about the long long wait of 6-8 months. However, my brilliant partner in the states reminded me that the statistics are biased on this website because the people who are posting here are not necessarily straight forward applications having many complications and errors on their forms. She suggested that we could go from beginning to end in 4 months. I didn't believe it - too good to be true. But lo and behold, yesterday, as I was bragging to the American chick working in the Canadian starbucks about moving, I was overheard saying that it takes 6-8 months to get the K1 visa. Someone approached me and said their relative got their K1 in 2.5 months - beginning to finish! AMAZING!

So, any "y'all" ever heard of 2.5 months processing outside this situation? Of course, they were not on this forum. Perhaps the more we focus on the long wait time collectively then we manifest more of a wait time for ourselves. If we all focused on manifesting a short wait time like these other people who got their K1 in 2.5 months we could all get ours in 2.5 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hi "Y'all"

So I'm a Canadian marrying a Merkin (also know as an American). Just like "all y'alls" I am scared about the long long wait of 6-8 months. However, my brilliant partner in the states reminded me that the statistics are biased on this website because the people who are posting here are not necessarily straight forward applications having many complications and errors on their forms.

Not sure where you got this information from. The opposite is what is true. Many people on this website have straightforward, uncomplicated cases which is why they opt to go it alone without a lawyer. The wait times have nothing to do with errors on forms (which may be reflected by an RFE which is indicated on the timelines) but rather with the speed of the service centers and their workload.

She suggested that we could go from beginning to end in 4 months. I didn't believe it - too good to be true. But lo and behold, yesterday, as I was bragging to the American chick working in the Canadian starbucks about moving, I was overheard saying that it takes 6-8 months to get the K1 visa. Someone approached me and said their relative got their K1 in 2.5 months - beginning to finish! AMAZING!

So, any "y'all" ever heard of 2.5 months processing outside this situation? Of course, they were not on this forum. Perhaps the more we focus on the long wait time collectively then we manifest more of a wait time for ourselves. If we all focused on manifesting a short wait time like these other people who got their K1 in 2.5 months we could all get ours in 2.5 months.

It is possible to get the K1 is 2.5 months, but the best estimate would be 6-8 months. If it is quicker, then great, if not, it is not unusual. There are so many factors that go into the wait times for visas that you cannot pinpoint one area as the cause for delays. Each case is different and we would all like to get our visas in a short period of time.

I'm not sure that focussing on manifesting a short wait time will make it true for those still waiting. Like I said, there are so many factors that can affect wait time. The best thing to do is be patient and hope that your petition does not get stuck in some back room, on a shelf, in a box under 10 ft of dust :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Hi "Y'all"

So I'm a Canadian marrying a Merkin (also know as an American). Just like "all y'alls" I am scared about the long long wait of 6-8 months. However, my brilliant partner in the states reminded me that the statistics are biased on this website because the people who are posting here are not necessarily straight forward applications having many complications and errors on their forms. She suggested that we could go from beginning to end in 4 months. I didn't believe it - too good to be true. But lo and behold, yesterday, as I was bragging to the American chick working in the Canadian starbucks about moving, I was overheard saying that it takes 6-8 months to get the K1 visa. Someone approached me and said their relative got their K1 in 2.5 months - beginning to finish! AMAZING!

It will take at least three months for the USCIS to process the Merkin's petition to allow you to apply for a K-1. That's pretty standard for them. Canucks like you can be processed for the K=1 visa pretty quickly in the U.S. Consulates in Canada -- 2-3 months. That's maybe what you were being told.

Filed: Timeline

Check the timelines here on VJ: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Indeed 2.5 months seems like a dream; specially since Montreal is not the fastest place on earth. If you process through Vancouver (depending on where you live in Canada) it is faster; but you might want to drop by the Canada forum to ask folks there --- Laura and Nick are a great source of info.

Filed: Timeline
However, my brilliant partner in the states reminded me that the statistics are biased on this website because the people who are posting here are not necessarily straight forward applications having many complications and errors on their forms.

:lol:

Sorry.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The shortest possible line was a couple years ago when VSC was approving petitions in 15 days and they were able to use the Vancouver consulate... 2.5 months was a possibility..... My how things have changed...

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Canadian/American couple here....straight forward case...took us 7 months from filing to visa in hand.

It varies.

Just be patient.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

The statement of a 2.5 month visa is too vague. There's alot of variables, with what month/year did they file at what service center being a big factor

It's like saying ,"My cousin's friend totally checked out in Walmart in 5 minutes."

Were you in a big city the day after Thanksgiving with ipods on sale for $10?

Were you in a rural town at 3 in the morning on a random Tuesday night?

What year and month was the quick approval? Which service center? Which consulate?

Look how the timelines change. Spring 2007 in Vermont and Vancouver looks pretty good, but by fall, it was a bleaker picture. Do you know why? Because millions of applications flooded the service centers that summer because they were trying to beat a fee increase. Kinda like the ipod sale in my Walmart analogy.

k1vschistory.gifk1cschistory.gif

vancouver-k1doshistory.gifmontreal-k1doshistory.gif

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

We were also a straightforward case and ours took almost a full year. It just varies and there is really no way to predict how your own case will go.

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Timeline

I think the analogy of the Walmart is pretty sobering. As far as I know, the person who got their interview in 2.5 months lived in Toronto and was processed through Montreal. Does anyone here know about a recent hiring of staff in the visa offices to make to process go faster? What's the deal with that?

How many of you were able to cross into the U.S. while waiting for your papers to process? Any troubles with the border gaurds?

People cross the border and cross the pond to visit sucessfully all the time. If you stay in the US more than in Canada, then they will probably deny you at some point. You know...stay 90 days in the US, go to Canada for 3 days, back to the US for 90, etc. They frown on that when they realize it's habitual. There's no rule that you can't visit if you've applied for a K1. There's a Canadian regional forum where you could probably get some specific comments about border crossings. It's been discussed in general alot. Here's an old post of mine sort of on the subject. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1948785

And in answer to your other question. Around the first of the year, there was big news info splash on the USCIS website how they were hiring 1500 new workers to help clear the backlogs...not sure the exact number, but something like that. Alot of the backlog was for people waiting on naturalization (US Citizenship), but it was my understanding at the time that they were hiring and improving their operations to be more efficient for all kinds of processing. Also they used to process K1 visas at 4 locations, then changed it to Vermont and California. Some people got held up when they filed in Texas for example then their case got transferred to Vermont. It was kinda messy during that period for people who got moved.

And back to your original post. There are alot of people on VJ who have normal straight-forward cases. When I started here, I thought "oh we're going to be faster because we're normal, have money, no crimes, no overstays, already have security clearances for work so Homeland Security has already checked me out, and fiance is from an English speaking country." You may be thinking the same thing. Well it isn't so. I've studied the people and the timelines for about 6 months now and there's some clueless people that muddle through just as fast because of the help of others on here. It's a really good place and I'm thankful I found it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
However, my brilliant partner in the states reminded me that the statistics are biased on this website because the people who are posting here are not necessarily straight forward applications having many complications and errors on their forms.

:lol:

Sorry.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ditto my reaction too. Sheesh.

We were a straightforward couple as well. No complications at all. No errors. No RFE's on our K-1. It took 7 months from the month I filed to the day he was approved at the interview.

Sounds like your brilliant partner was wrong....sounds like "y'all" will just have to be patient and wait it out too.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Well, first off, hello Donovan, and welcome to VJ!

Hi "Y'all"

Has your fiance been lurking here or does she/he have a screen name? Don't know what he/she is reading, but she needs new eyeglasses.

I think the analogy of the Walmart is pretty sobering. As far as I know, the person who got their interview in 2.5 months lived in Toronto and was processed through Montreal. Does anyone here know about a recent hiring of staff in the visa offices to make to process go faster? What's the deal with that?

How many of you were able to cross into the U.S. while waiting for your papers to process? Any troubles with the border gaurds?

The Toronto/Montreal example you used...don't know who they are, it isn't true. Tell them if it is, they should come here and enlighten us as to how they got everything done in 2 months please!

Many of us crossed the border into the US while our application was pending. While it's up to the individual Border Officials, you must always remember to tell the truth, and bring lots of evidence of your non-intent to immigrate. Bring lease agreements, a letter from your employer if you can, pay stubs, perhaps an appointment card, or letter from a professional about any upcoming appointment, utility statement....something that shows you have ties to Canada and are intending to return...expecting to return!

You might want to check out the Canada Forum here on VJ as well, for some specific questions people have, and answers for those of us immigrating from Canada to the US.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.