Sandrila

MENA MUSIC

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Oh mY Gawddd (Jersey accent) I miss you more!! :cry: Remember that was tooo fun!!

Tell Aaron I'm coming to take over his room again! LOL

How am I going to make fun of you when we were jamming to some George Wassouf in my car??? Eating our knafeh and baklawa!!! LOOOOOVE him!!!!!

I MISS YOU!!!!!

:cry:

Okay...Old people music ROCKS but I'm also into supporting newer up and coming Arabs as well. We have a few friends just starting out rapping in Egypt and I think they are amazing. One of the groups just finished their first album produced by Fredwreck (who has produced for the likes of Snoop Dogg etc)

You can find them on Facebook and Youtube if you google: Arabian Knights and MC Amin. They rap in mostly Egyptian Arabic but there is some english in a few of their songs.

NOW....onto my favs...

(Ashley dont make fun of me) George Wassouf ROCKS my socks!! Then of course newer "coffee shop" singers...Tamer Hosny, Marian Fares, Hosam Habib, Amir Diab, Carol Samaha, Fadl Shaker, etc...:0)

:whistle:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He gladly gave it up to you once and I know he would again without hesitation...... He loves him some babies too!!!! Hope you don't mind the teddy bear sheets :blush::lol:

Oh mY Gawddd (Jersey accent) I miss you more!! :cry: Remember that was tooo fun!!

Tell Aaron I'm coming to take over his room again! LOL

How am I going to make fun of you when we were jamming to some George Wassouf in my car??? Eating our knafeh and baklawa!!! LOOOOOVE him!!!!!

I MISS YOU!!!!!

:cry:

Okay...Old people music ROCKS but I'm also into supporting newer up and coming Arabs as well. We have a few friends just starting out rapping in Egypt and I think they are amazing. One of the groups just finished their first album produced by Fredwreck (who has produced for the likes of Snoop Dogg etc)

You can find them on Facebook and Youtube if you google: Arabian Knights and MC Amin. They rap in mostly Egyptian Arabic but there is some english in a few of their songs.

NOW....onto my favs...

(Ashley dont make fun of me) George Wassouf ROCKS my socks!! Then of course newer "coffee shop" singers...Tamer Hosny, Marian Fares, Hosam Habib, Amir Diab, Carol Samaha, Fadl Shaker, etc...:0)

:whistle:

This song, Tunisino is by a local "coffee house type band" called Nechez. The song is about being Tunisian and being far away from home and the things you go through.. but also like how (according to the song) no matter where they are Tunisians always find other Tunisians (It IS true LOL )

It has a punk/grungey sound to it

The same band also did an ARABIC cover of Nirvana's song "My girl" and it's AWESOME!! I am still trying to find a video or some link to a sound file that you could listen to. It's really great and it's the same music and word for word what Nirvana sings, just in Arabic. I like it!!

Anyway so here's the Tounisino song :

I *really* like music! :blush:

Nawal are there any videos for the Arabian Knights?? You should put some of those up here!!!! I am sure people would like them alot!

Dedicated to Nawal!!!

Some new George Wassouf music!!!

He should totally put us in one of his videos!!!! :devil:

As3ab Fora2

Aww! :luv: Could you imagine? Swear I'd pass out! You know he was in Vegas the week I was due with the twins and I couldn't fly! Hanan went without so I hate her now (joking!) she came for the twins birth bragging about George! Just wait till she is pregnant! I'm planning my revenge. I haven't seen him live in over 5 years! Last time was Jordan!

Just told Hazem. He's laughing and said stop playing that ####### for my babies! Little does he know I played George everyday for them when I was pregnant!

Okay, I'm mental! Its official! I will be posting some links to get free Arabic music soon. I need my hubby to get off the laptop. I'm on my phone.

It's not ####### :lol: Tell them you want well rounded children!! HEHE

Okay yeah Hanan would definitely suck if she wasn't so sweet-- You could have given birth at the concert - WOOTEVER :devil:

You know there are lots of Arabic music concerts in AC - And it's a good excuse to go to Paterson!!! :jest: Is any of this working yet? LOL

Aww! :luv: Could you imagine? Swear I'd pass out! You know he was in Vegas the week I was due with the twins and I couldn't fly! Hanan went without so I hate her now (joking!) she came for the twins birth bragging about George! Just wait till she is pregnant! I'm planning my revenge. I haven't seen him live in over 5 years! Last time was Jordan!

Just told Hazem. He's laughing and said stop playing that ####### for my babies! Little does he know I played George everyday for them when I was pregnant!

Okay, I'm mental! Its official! I will be posting some links to get free Arabic music soon. I need my hubby to get off the laptop. I'm on my phone.

It's not ####### :lol: Tell them you want well rounded children!! HEHE

Okay yeah Hanan would definitely suck if she wasn't so sweet-- You could have given birth at the concert - WOOTEVER :devil:

You know there are lots of Arabic music concerts in AC - And it's a good excuse to go to Paterson!!! :jest: Is any of this working yet? LOL

The same company runs the concerts for Vegas n AC! See this is why I have 2 move home. We'd be concert hags. Haha. Love that word! Then Patterson for the best sweets ever! I'm drooling!

East coast I'm coming! :cry:

El Ghorba - Saber al Rabai

I thought this song might hit home for some of our MENA Men. Here is a description of the song and also the lyrics :

Alright finally I've found the perfect song to explain the concept of "al-Ghorba (الغربة)" The beginner's Arabic textbook translate it as "longing for homeland" but this is really only one facet of the meaning that has come to be prevalent in the context of the Arab diaspora. It's not just homeland, which one may long for, indeed the idea of the homeland is to an extent a very recent development. I call it "homesickness" here, but also translate it sometimes as "estrangement," meaning a feeling of being distance from that which is intimate or familiar to oneself and missing the comfort of that place or person; like how you can be estranged from a lover who is either not with you or not speaking to you. Moreover it has the connotations of "exile," which means it is against your will to some extent. Anyway, that's what this song is all about. He feels alone in a land far away from home and it's burning him. But at the same time, what is significant is that he is longing for something he loves whether that be a place, a person or people, or both.

For those interested in Arabic language "al-ghorba" has a fascinating etymology. Its root is includes two basic verbs: "gharaba," which means to leave or depart and "gharuba," which means to be strange from which the adjective "ghariib," which means strange or a stranger comes from. At the same time, "gharb" means west, which of course is foreign to Arabs who live in the east. The name of Morocco, "al-maghrib" is from the same root, although it most likely derives from "ghuruub," which means sunset. Thus "al-maghrib" means the place where the sun sets. At any rate, the multiple meanings of this root should resonate with Arabs currently living in the West (al-gharb) for whatever reason, who feeling a longing to be back home.

English Translation:

Saber el-Robaey - Homesickness

I've suffered from homesickness throughout the nights

While my sadness is in a far off land

I'm afraid if I say what happened to me

The sadness will increase

Oh how long my absence has lasted

A piece of writing in my book*

I'm longing and in the desire there is my torment

Patient and maintaining patience is beneficial

Oh my days, for shame, enough

From my life that which has gone

May my suffering end (literally, let me be after my suffering)

I hope to be at ease

I fear that I will go through life suffering

Far from my home and my address

My tears don't put out my fire

Nor do my sighs heal my wounds

Whenever the night comes I fear my loneliness, oh lord

Whenever the night comes I fear needing someone beside me

I'm scared and from the abundance of my wounds

My soul has come to pity me

I love being a concert hag!!! :devil: Did you take Hazem to Paterson? I was up there not too many weeks ago - I swear I feel like I'm in Tunis or Cairo or something LOL And have to stop at the bakery and also Aloosh Cafe and get me some foooood!!!

The same company runs the concerts for Vegas n AC! See this is why I have 2 move home. We'd be concert hags. Haha. Love that word! Then Patterson for the best sweets ever! I'm drooling!

East coast I'm coming! :cry:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Sorry to barge in but are you guys talking Paterson as in NJ??? I was just there last weekend. Who lives nearby and who wants to meet up on our next trip. I go there to the halal markets and for sweets.

Fattel's has the best lebanese/pita breads too ;)

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

No barging!! We're just blabbing at the mouth cuz it's late and we have no lifes LOL :lol:

Yup we were talking about the one and only Paterson NJ :) Nawal and I are junkies!!! I love Aloosh cafe lol

I live in Delaware, so it's like a 2 hour drive for me but it's worth it and try to get up there as much as I can!! I definitely love the sweets and the grocery store, I got the cutest little hookah there .. soo tiny!!!

Fattel's is AWESOME!!!! :thumbs:

Maybe we can meet up sometime soon!!

Sorry to barge in but are you guys talking Paterson as in NJ??? I was just there last weekend. Who lives nearby and who wants to meet up on our next trip. I go there to the halal markets and for sweets.

Edited by Ash * Habibati

Jealous! You guys better take me! :devil:

No barging!! We're just blabbing at the mouth cuz it's late and we have no lifes LOL :lol:

Yup we were talking about the one and only Paterson NJ :) Nawal and I are junkies!!! I love Aloosh cafe lol

I live in Delaware, so it's like a 2 hour drive for me but it's worth it and try to get up there as much as I can!! I definitely love the sweets and the grocery store, I got the cutest little hookah there .. soo tiny!!!

Fattel's is AWESOME!!!! :thumbs:

Maybe we can meet up sometime soon!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.