Sandrila

MENA MUSIC

63 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I thought I'd lighten the topic and ask a question I'd been thinking about.

First, I love, I mean I LOVE ETHNIC MUSIC but the arabic music :whistle: (if i may categorize it as such) is da BOMB!

I definitely have my favorites and most of my time shopping there is finding new, awesome music.

Old ones or new....what are some of your favorites or what would you recommend?

Alot of times I cant spell the names of the artists but Amir Diab is certainly up there for me

MY MACK DADDY OF ALL I HAVE HEARD CHEB HESNI, MAMI, ELISA, and NANCY something or another.

anyhow please share I'd like to get some ideas...I miss Morcco

None of the singers you write here are Moroccan they are Arabic yes but not from MOROCCO but i like cheb hasni and cheb khaled and you should hear chabi or cha3bi music from morocco it's awesome lol

hi guys;

wow today i received my APPROVAL LETTER FOR THE ADVANCED PAROLE so here we go . i am waiting for my EAD card to arrive it's on the way i hope i will wake up tomorrow and find it in the mail box lol good like guys

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I know that it's not exactly what you were looking for.. Modern or with hip hop like beats.. But I love Oum Kalthoum :blush:

Jihed makes fun of me and says stop listening to old people music but oh well...

Enta Omri is one of my favorite songs!!! She is called the mother of Arabic music. Very very loved.

Ohhhh yes! She's amazing. My husband had me listen to her -- he loves "old people music." :lol: It astounds me how some of these songs could go on for 30 minutes or much longer. Thank you for sharing this. One more to watch when I get home.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hey I don't have the codes, but some of my faves include Amr Diab, Grace Deeb and Mohamad Hamaky. Look them up on youtube - good stuff.

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I like cheb dousi. But i really liked the band that played at arab fest. Wish i could remember their name.

Edited by terrie

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

From my husband's neck of the woods, Meknes, Morocco :lol:

I'm the USC.

Timeline

First, I love, I mean I LOVE ETHNIC MUSIC but the arabic music :whistle: (if i may categorize it as such) is da BOMB!

I definitely have my favorites and most of my time shopping there is finding new, awesome music.

Alot of times I cant spell the names of the artists but Amir Diab is certainly up there for me

MY MACK DADDY OF ALL I HAVE HEARD CHEB HESNI, MAMI, ELISA, and NANCY something or another.

None of the singers you write here are Moroccan they are Arabic yes but not from MOROCCO but i like cheb hasni and cheb khaled and you should hear chabi or cha3bi music from morocco it's awesome lol

Here's some chaabi, and other styles:

marocaudio.com

I'm the USC.

Filed: Timeline

I think that a lot of MENA people end up loving 'old people music' even if they spend their youth fighting their parents about it. Through time and age they start to appreciate it and maybe later down the road have the same affect on their children! That's why they say that artists like Oum Kalthoum or Fairouz are "timeless" Jihed called the new music "sandwich shop" music.. Which he first said that and I was like what? I don't get it.. He said those songs are like sandwiches, it might be really good while you are eating it but really soon you are going to forget all about it! But the Oum Kalthoum.. No one is ever going to forget her! ... Love his little analogies lol

You are right though they can go on and on and I've had people asking me... This isn't one song is it? :unsure: haha :lol:

Ohhhh yes! She's amazing. My husband had me listen to her -- he loves "old people music." :lol: It astounds me how some of these songs could go on for 30 minutes or much longer. Thank you for sharing this. One more to watch when I get home.

Timeline

Here's some chaabi, and other styles:

marocaudio.com

I love listening to Gnawa style also, as background on a rainy day or when I'm working on something at home. There's a link to Gnawa on this same site.

I'm the USC.

The Tunisian version of "rai" or "local music" ..

Mezoued..

The most famous mezoued singer for Tunisia is probably Samir Loussif, but there are TONS of them! These songs do often seem to go on and on but I just love them.. They played all during my wedding and every summer that I have been there... Laying on the roof, finally relaxing from the severe heat of the day, hearing the engagement, wedding, and circumcision parties going on and the mezoued just playing so loud! There were times in the beginning I thought I can never sleep like this, but now hearing mezoued makes me feel peaceful and sometimes sleepy!!!

Tunsians love to dance to mezoued - or maybe it's just all of Jihed's family lol His brother Hicham listens to it at deafening levels!

Many areas/towns have their own versions and popular singers.. I think some of the best come from Gafsa.

Timeline
I think that a lot of MENA people end up loving 'old people music' even if they spend their youth fighting their parents about it. Through time and age they start to appreciate it and maybe later down the road have the same affect on their children! That's why they say that artists like Oum Kalthoum or Fairouz are "timeless" Jihed called the new music "sandwich shop" music.. Which he first said that and I was like what? I don't get it.. He said those songs are like sandwiches, it might be really good while you are eating it but really soon you are going to forget all about it! But the Oum Kalthoum.. No one is ever going to forget her! ... Love his little analogies lol

You are right though they can go on and on and I've had people asking me... This isn't one song is it? :unsure: haha :lol:

It's so cool to watch a pop music program on Moroccan TV with all the fashionable teens and twenty-somethings, and then they bring out an older, beloved artist, and everyone, old and young, just really gets into it. Seems like Algerian TV has a lot more young folks performing traditional styles than 2M has (we watch free-to-air TV, so unfortunately, our choices are limited).

I appreciate my own parents' favorite music a lot more now -- drove me bonkers when I was a kid. I remember the first day I actually "got" Beethoven.

Now, there's a sort of cane dancing I've watched on 2M, and I don't remember what the name of that traditional style is, but I enjoy watching that. There's also a style where the dancing involves a lot of shoulder movement, not really a slow shimmy, more like the shoulders kind of jerking or almost popping to the beat of the music. I have NO idea what I'm talking about :lol: but my husband can get those shoulders going and I haven't figured it out yet. I've got one of those songs in my head, but I don't know the name of it, and the style is on the tip of my tongue, but...

The beats of the music my husband likes are so complex (to me), and my ear is only just becoming tuned to quarter tones. Maybe with 20 or 30 more years of exposure, I'll finally get that as well.

I'm the USC.

Okay...Old people music ROCKS but I'm also into supporting newer up and coming Arabs as well. We have a few friends just starting out rapping in Egypt and I think they are amazing. One of the groups just finished their first album produced by Fredwreck (who has produced for the likes of Snoop Dogg etc)

You can find them on Facebook and Youtube if you google: Arabian Knights and MC Amin. They rap in mostly Egyptian Arabic but there is some english in a few of their songs.

NOW....onto my favs...

(Ashley dont make fun of me) George Wassouf ROCKS my socks!! Then of course newer "coffee shop" singers...Tamer Hosny, Marian Fares, Hosam Habib, Amir Diab, Carol Samaha, Fadl Shaker, etc...:0)

:whistle:

Timeline

Reggada, couldn't remember the word. I can't find the one I'm thinking of, but this is the style.

I'm the USC.

How am I going to make fun of you when we were jamming to some George Wassouf in my car??? Eating our knafeh and baklawa!!! LOOOOOVE him!!!!!

I MISS YOU!!!!!

:cry:

Okay...Old people music ROCKS but I'm also into supporting newer up and coming Arabs as well. We have a few friends just starting out rapping in Egypt and I think they are amazing. One of the groups just finished their first album produced by Fredwreck (who has produced for the likes of Snoop Dogg etc)

You can find them on Facebook and Youtube if you google: Arabian Knights and MC Amin. They rap in mostly Egyptian Arabic but there is some english in a few of their songs.

NOW....onto my favs...

(Ashley dont make fun of me) George Wassouf ROCKS my socks!! Then of course newer "coffee shop" singers...Tamer Hosny, Marian Fares, Hosam Habib, Amir Diab, Carol Samaha, Fadl Shaker, etc...:0)

:whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.