almaty

Priest: Sex allegations were hushed up

18 posts in this topic

BELLEVILLE — Alleged sexual abuse by a priest within the Belleville Diocese was hushed and treated as dirty laundry, a former high-ranking diocesan official testified in court on Thursday.

"Like any family, you don't go hanging your dirty laundry all over the line," the Rev. Joseph Schwaegel, a former vice chancellor in the diocese, testified on Thursday.

A former altar boy is suing the Belleville Diocese, alleging that it covered up sexual abuse involving the Rev. Raymond Kownacki. The altar boy, now 47, says in the suit that Kownacki repeatedly molested him throughout the 1970s.

Defense attorneys for the diocese say the statute of limitations for the altar boy to sue has run out. They argue that many of the diocesan officials involved in the early complaints against Kownacki are dead, and that the diocese ultimately removed the priest from active ministry in 1995.

According to records shown in court, Schwaegel received complaints in 1982 from another family alleging abuse of their son at the hands of Kownacki.

"We have done as you asked, and not said anything to anybody," the family wrote Schwaegel.

Schwaegel acknowledged writing a response to the family, saying he had given Kownacki "the benefit of the doubt" and to let "bygones be bygones."

Nevertheless, Schwaegel testified, he never interviewed Kownacki to investigate the allegations. Instead, he said he followed the chain of command and passed the complaints on to then-Bishop John Wurm.

Schwaegel also said that he never had knowledge of past sexual abuse claims against the priest. Complaints were also made against Kownacki that alleged he raped a 16 year-old girl — who later became pregnant — and attempted to perform an abortion on her.

According to documents shown in court, other diocesan officials knew of growing evidence dating back to the 1960s accusing Kownacki of abusing young boys and girls. Schwaegel said the information was never shared with him.

Schwaegel testified on Thursday that the diocese moved Kownacki from parish to parish — even as sexual misconduct allegations followed Kownacki nearly everywhere he went.

In 1988, after Kownacki was put in a ministry that didn't involve young children or adults, the diocese allowed him to live at St. Henry's parish in Belleville. Next door were St. Henry's Grade School and Althoff Catholic High.

"You put him right in the heart of kids?" asked Stephen R. Wigginton, one of the altar boy's attorneys.

"Yes," Schwaegel testified.

Kownacki was removed from active ministry in 1995 but remained a priest. He currently lives alone in Dupo, receiving retirement benefits from the diocese.

Schwaegel also testified that he had removed himself from active ministry in 1994 for self-professed "sexual addiction."

"To adults," he said.

Testimony is set to resume on Friday. Among those who may be called to testify is former Bishop Wilton Gregory, now archbishop of Atlanta.

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
:o :o

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

it is sad and no, this is no shot at the priets..who are fine people and i believe, live their faith ...but Belleville was at the heart of the scandals in the past...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Not so shocking! My cousin (my best friend), wanted (wants [#######]) to be a nun, yesterday that we were talking she told me "i have a lot of nun and priests friends, all of them drink, some of them smoke and definetly all of them have had sex... it's not something they do everyday, but they are normal ppl, they do everything we do, the difference is that the world doesn't really know"

awwww I disagree with her so bad, they are supposed to be an example to follow, I am a huge fan of Mother Teresa, everything she did in her life is an example to follow (speciallu for all the kids in India)

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Nicaragua

Marriage : 2008-02-21

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-04-01

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-10

NVC Received : 2008-07-11

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-07-21

Pay I-864 Bill AND Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-07-22

IV Payment Online: 2008-07-30

Sent Completed I-864 and DS230: 2008-08-01

DS230 and I864 entered to the system:2008-08-06

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-08-14 //// 35 days! /// Not bad!

Medical Exam: 2008-09-18

Interview Date : 2008-10-08

Visa Received : 2008-10-16

US Entry : 2008-10-18 POE: Houston

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2010-07-16

NOA Date : 2010-07-20

Biometrics Taken: 2010-07-29

RFE 2010/10/12

RFE Respond 2010/11/05

Aproverd: 2010/11/23

Card Received: 2010/11/27

i worked at a Catholic hospital for 7 1/2 years..and got too be close friend with a Priest and 2 nuns..i counselled one of the nuns to leave the church..a long story..the other....well, she became good friends and would sneak over to my house ..several times a week..my son, cody saad, "oh man, don't touch her..and bring down the plagues and scorn of God on us, we are unlucky enough"..it was wise advice...

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just terrible. The Diocese is only keeping the deep wounds from healing by not offering some kind of out of court settlement for those victims.

My father is an ordained Deacon, and several years ago, the Diocese that he is in adopted a pretty stringent policy for clergy to prevent future abuse. For example, a clergy member should never allow themselves to be in closed quarters with less than 3 minors. It's kind of crazy...there's a bit of over-reaction and anxiety now about even hugging young children at church for any clergy and I even catch myself wondering whenever I see a priest that is very friendly and affectionate to young children - if he might be a pedophile. A sad state of mind we are all in these days.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Not so shocking! My cousin (my best friend), wanted (wants [#######]) to be a nun, yesterday that we were talking she told me "i have a lot of nun and priests friends, all of them drink, some of them smoke and definetly all of them have had sex... it's not something they do everyday, but they are normal ppl, they do everything we do, the difference is that the world doesn't really know"

awwww I disagree with her so bad, they are supposed to be an example to follow, I am a huge fan of Mother Teresa, everything she did in her life is an example to follow (speciallu for all the kids in India)

Drinking and smoking yes. The sex part is not the norm.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It's the sad truth. The politics and business of the Catholic Church are something I have a hard time stomaching most times. I worked in a Catholic Church for 7 years. I saw the good, the bad, and the ugly. The things one priest in particular got away with was sickening. I swear if it had been me doing those things, the Church would've had me in prison long before they finally did what they did to take care of the problem. That being said, he was one of the few I was not proud to be associated with. There are many good priests out there.

I currently work for the Jesuit's. Now, these guys are who I have been looking to work for all my life. Religious; but smart as hell and truly walk to their own beat.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

It's the sad truth. The politics and business of the Catholic Church are something I have a hard time stomaching most times. I worked in a Catholic Church for 7 years. I saw the good, the bad, and the ugly. The things one priest in particular got away with was sickening. I swear if it had been me doing those things, the Church would've had me in prison long before they finally did what they did to take care of the problem. That being said, he was one of the few I was not proud to be associated with. There are many good priests out there.

I currently work for the Jesuit's. Now, these guys are who I have been looking to work for all my life. Religious; but smart as hell and truly walk to their own beat.

i agree.. i met some wonderful folks and great caring people at the cathlic hospital

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

heck, some of my friends are Catholic! :jest:

Daniel

:energy:

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

heck, some of my friends are Catholic! :jest:

Daniel

:energy:

lol..same here..i heard, i may be wrong, you married a catholic!!!

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i agree.. i met some wonderful folks and great caring people at the cathlic hospital

jesuit's rawk! :dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

i agree..also, i have a few friends, who are Oblates....

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

lol..me too..we must have the same friends sister len

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg