Sprailenes

I eat whale blubber and club baby seals...

241 posts in this topic

Whoa I finally got a heart. ITS ABOUT DAMNED TIME! :angry:

:P

You've always had heart. :thumbs:(L)

aww ditto this!!! :luv:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
what are butter tarts.? :unsure:

Fattening. :crying:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
No one here knows what butter tarts are :o . Maybe a new business venture for me???? :bonk:

Nick fell in LOVE with butter tarts, he couldn't believe them!!!

There is so much possibility!!!

yeah I was astonished too.. my hubby had no clue what they were...

I made him my famous butter tart squares once and he liked it...

the squares I make taste almost exactly like the tarts but are so much easier to make...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I also get the whole: "Do you know a so and so from Vancouver?"

YES AS A MATTER OF FACT I DO. WE'RE BFF'S!!! WOW WHAT A SMALL WORLD EH!?

Bzzzzz. I'm sorry. The correct response is:

"Oh! So and so! Why yes, I do! She's dead."

Bzzzzz. Wrong! The correct response is:

"Oh! So and so! Why yes, I do! She's dead, eh! She died in a terrbile moose accident when it ran into her igloo. She was so enamored in the blubber she was eating and the seal she was clubbing, she didn't see the moose until it was too late. Eh!"

This thread caught my eye because as an American, I continually cannot believe how many other Americans have at the very least not even the slightest idea where Canada is or that it is its own country which is even larger than ours. I remember trying to mail a letter to a friend in BC and asking the lady at the PO how much was the rate to CN. She quoted me the regular domestic rate. I said, "No, Canada postage is more." She said, "No, Canada is a STATE above California." I just kind of looked at her and told her last time I checked that state was Oregon and Canada was, in fact, it's own huge country above us over which we have no authority-- it kind of functions on its very own as crazy as that sounds. She would not believe me so I had to go to another PO.

Edited by julianna

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My boyfriend calls me a 'Hoser.' :lol:

He gets a big kick out of Canada-isms. He had Timbits for the first time last weekend after wondering what they were for so long.

Our teeny timeline:

Jan 23 '08 ~ met online

Mar '08 ~ 1st visit to Vancouver

May '08 ~ 2nd visit to Vancouver

Jun 08 ~ plans to move to the west coast!

Aug 8 08 ~ he moves to Bellingham

current ~ many trips back and forth across the border...

Filed: Other Timeline
the squares I make taste almost exactly like the tarts but are so much easier to make...

please do share the recipe! I miss butter tarts but I'm just too freakin' lazy to make 'em. If the squares are easier, I just might find the inspiration!

I have a Made In Canada tattoo. In both languages. I like Quebec, no matter how much half of them hate the rest of us. ;):P

I think CanuckAbroad.com used to sell Canadian travel packs, with little backpack flags and t-shirts that said "don't shoot, I'm Canadian!". :lol:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

what are butter tarts.? :unsure:

If I have some made before our lunch, I'll bring some for you to try.

Yes the squares are much easier to make, but I take after my mom and like the real deal. :yes:

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband always bugs me about saying "eh" (I don't really say "eh" it is more like "hey" at the end of sentences). I always tell him that you can take the girl out of Canada but you can't take Canada out of the girl!....lol

I can't believe how many people here tell me that I have an accent (Just live 1/2 hour from where I used to live in Canada). Last week at the Department of licensing, when I was trying to schedule my driving test, I was telling the agent at the counter that I work in Canada and I get home about

4 p.m., she said she could tell I was from Canada by the way I said "about"! It doesn't sound any different than the way the americans say it to me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

People are always commenting on how I say certain things with my lovely canadian accent. Actually, I have had two people so far ask me if I was from Canada after hearing me speak which I thought was pretty cool.

Many people here just refer to me as "the canadian" ie. "hey canada, how are ya?". I don't mind. Also, this is really not nice and extremely racist but from our area in New Jersey if you wanted to refer to an African American in code while one was around, you would refer to them as the Canadian. It's offensive on both sides of that coin I believe!!

Most of the jokes I get are about mounties. But most of them just make me smile and sigh. When I feel like putting on my best bob and doug mackenzie accent to make people laugh I do.

Once me and my mum get going on the phone though, or me and my brothers, my accent comes out right away! I hear it in them now that I'm away. It's great!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
My boyfriend calls me a 'Hoser.' :lol:

He gets a big kick out of Canada-isms. He had Timbits for the first time last weekend after wondering what they were for so long.

Hmmmmm - sounds like my hubby. You're not dating his brother Nathan, from Seattle are you? :lol:

Chris likes to laugh at how I say - hard "A"s.

D-AT-SUN rather than his Daught-son. Pass-Ta rather than Paw-sta.

Edited by cattattude

Timeline

Have you ever had people lie that they were Canadian?

No word of a lie, I have met two people who want to be Canadian sooo bad they actually tried to lie about it.

I of course caught them AND outed them.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Have you ever had people lie that they were Canadian?

No word of a lie, I have met two people who want to be Canadian sooo bad they actually tried to lie about it.

I of course caught them AND outed them.

You outted them - :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Didn't know what poutine was hunh?

Timeline

One of the guys was from a message board and I have recently met him in person while in Chicago with my husband, he is still bitter I outed him on the board, but he couldn't pinpoint where in Mississauga he was from, he just kept saying it was near the airport. :lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hmmmmm - sounds like my hubby. You're not dating his brother Nathan, from Seattle are you? :lol:

Chris likes to laugh at how I say - hard "A"s.

D-AT-SUN rather than his Daught-son. Pass-Ta rather than Paw-sta.

Almost Seattle... my guy lives in Bellingham. :P

I get bugged about 'pasta', too... even saying 'out' he says it to me as 'oot' just to tease me.

Our teeny timeline:

Jan 23 '08 ~ met online

Mar '08 ~ 1st visit to Vancouver

May '08 ~ 2nd visit to Vancouver

Jun 08 ~ plans to move to the west coast!

Aug 8 08 ~ he moves to Bellingham

current ~ many trips back and forth across the border...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.