Help! Husband want to divorce when it comes to removing conditional GC

38 posts in this topic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
If a marriage license is applied for in a different state, can be subject to a $10K fine and a year in jail.

NickD,

Can you please elaborate the above? I am confused.

Thank you in advance.

Walley

Part of the Wisconsin State Statues, as a resident of this state, you must apply for a marriage license in your county of residence or be subject to that up to a $10,000 fine or up to one year in jail. However, in most cases it's not that severe, they do give you chance to get your license and get remarried in this state. Was just intended as to how statues vary from state to state, in Nevada, can get a license and marry two minutes later, here you have to wait ten business days. Our legislative idea of attempting to cut down the high divorce rate unlike Las Vegas where a guy and gal can get plastered only to learn they got married the night before. Ha, here you have a whole ten days to think it over, but we took much longer than that, like two years and a couple of months. You also get a booklet on how and where to get married and that can be in even a different state or a country for that matter, but the license must be procured in your county.

Course, you are free to move to a different state, MN, MI, and IL all have a 24 hour waiting period as I recall. They figure that is long enough to sober up.

Filed: Timeline
If a marriage license is applied for in a different state, can be subject to a $10K fine and a year in jail.

NickD,

Can you please elaborate the above? I am confused.

Thank you in advance.

Walley

Part of the Wisconsin State Statues, as a resident of this state, you must apply for a marriage license in your county of residence or be subject to that up to a $10,000 fine or up to one year in jail. However, in most cases it's not that severe, they do give you chance to get your license and get remarried in this state. Was just intended as to how statues vary from state to state, in Nevada, can get a license and marry two minutes later, here you have to wait ten business days. Our legislative idea of attempting to cut down the high divorce rate unlike Las Vegas where a guy and gal can get plastered only to learn they got married the night before. Ha, here you have a whole ten days to think it over, but we took much longer than that, like two years and a couple of months. You also get a booklet on how and where to get married and that can be in even a different state or a country for that matter, but the license must be procured in your county.

Course, you are free to move to a different state, MN, MI, and IL all have a 24 hour waiting period as I recall. They figure that is long enough to sober up.

LOL! Thanks for the info. Now, I have to research the NY law on marriage license.

Walley

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline
I really feel bad for my friend Katy, but I don't know what can I do to help her, please help!

My friend is a nice lady, she came to the States to marry her husband 2 years ago, they had no problem in their marriage until she came back to Thailand to see her daughter and family. Her husband wrote her a email to tell her that he want to divorce, and he will send all her package back to Thailand to her, told her no borther to come back. He wrote and picked every small things to tell her why did he want to divorce. My friend didn't accept it, they can't talk about divorce in the phone or just write a email! And she did nothing wrong! Before she came back to Thailand, they had no problem.

So she changed her flight ticket to came back to the States, she didn't have a driver license, so she called him to pick her up in the airport.( even just a friend, if people need help, you will do it, right), but he refused! I had to pick up my friend, and took her home. When she got home, she found every single of her stuff was packed and put in another room. She tried to work things out, but he didn't talk to her and just completely ignore her, and he didn't want to file that remove conditional green card for her of course! Even she need a ride to go out to get food, he didn't take her. She didn't eat for 2 whole days because he didn't take her to get food! I can't image a woman in this age would still have to deal with this emotional torture!

I think this can be domestic voilence, and I also think this guy planned all these. Maybe he already has another woman! What he wanted to do is to metal abuse her until she couldn't stand and go home. What kinds of people would do this, bring a woman from another country, then mental abuse her and try to abandon her! I know she should leave him, but I think she also deserved her green card!

Please help her and give her some advice, thank you!

dont waist your time reading the ####### after this message, this what she have to do:

SHE DOES NOT NEED HIS ### TO FILE TO REMOVE THE CONDITION here is why: either she file for divorce or let him file, dont try to take the abuse road or the extrem hardship it is tricky and best file to remove the condition on residence with waiver request.

If your spouse comtinue to refuse to sign the petition, you wont be able to file to remove the condition on your residency unless you are divorced, so the best thing to do is to file for divorce and when it become final you can file your I-751 with a waiver request based on the fact that the marriage was entered into good faith, but terminated through divorce.

you should pay attention to time frames, if your spouse is willing to file jointly, you need to file within 90 days from the expiration date of your 2 years.

If your spouse is not going to sign the petition, and you file for divorce dont worry about the time frame, because then you have a legitime excuse why you filed late, is that you was in the process of divorce and you couldnt file jointly, because your spouse refused to sign, and had to wait untill the divorce is final. if divorce become final before the expiration you can file also, the main thing in this case is that you are able to file as soon as the divorce is final it doesnt matter when it become final.

when you file with a waiver request, make sure you send them as much evidence to prove that the marriage was in good faith, for exemple: copie of birth certeficate of any child born during the marriage, house purchase agreement with both name on it, lease contract with both name on it, joint bank account, car registration with both name on it, any letters, bills including credit card bills with both name on it, letter from your employer stating that you listed your spouse as emergency contact if you did in you application,affidavit signed and notorized from family member, freinds, neighbours, who can testify that they know you as a married couple, copie of wedding pics, or pics where taken during your marriage, vacation you took together, bording ticket . the list is long and you can include any thing you can and you think it can be helpfull to prove that you both lived as a married couple.

put your paper work in this order

head letter simple:

Date

immigration services center you are mailing your application to

RE: name

A#

I-751 Petion to remove condition on residence ( with a waiver Request)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I ( your name), Filing an I-751 petition, I was married in ( place, city, state , date ) to ( your spouse name, and his citizenship). On ( date ) we divorced, Iam requesting a waiver based on the fact that the marriage was entered into good faith, but the marriage was terminated through divorce. Enclosed are the following documents in support of my petition:

1. Form I751 and a waiver request based on the fact that the marriage was entered into good faith , but terminated through divorce, along with two (2) photos of me and attached filing fee of $545.00

2.copy of divorce decree of ( your name and your spouse name)

3.copy of current Permanent resident card; and

4. list of documents establishing the validity our marriage :

EXHIBIT A: birth certeficate of childerns if there is any who were born during the marriage

EXHIBIT B: copie of car registartion with both names

EXHIBIT C: copie of house mortgage contarct signed by ( your name and your spouse )

EXHIBIT D:

EXHIBIT E:

and keep going alphebetic with your EXHIBIT, try to get as much as you can. put your paper work in the order mentioned above, and put a blank paper between every exhibit, write/type in the bottom of it the exhibit ex: EXHIBIT A then behind it put the exhibit A, then another blank paper type EXHIBIT B and behind it put your exhibit b and keep going that way untill you go thru your all evidences/exhibits

Thats how i did my application

• 4 weeks later...

Tell her to not loss hope!.

When a woman is being emotionally abused by her spouse, she can go to the nearest authority and she can rely her situation. You can act as a witness. Don't abandon your friend to as you are the only one she can cling on.

Don't give up... Once she proves that she is being emotionally abused and physically abused, he's dead!!

Much more if she can prove about the cheating she can file for adultery.

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.