alei719

Help! Husband want to divorce when it comes to removing conditional GC

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
You threw in domestic violence, abuse, etc.

How is this deomstic violence? The husband told her not ot come back, he is ignoring her an waiting for her to leave. This is not Domestic violence. Domestic violence is the act of verbal/physical abuse. From your post, he's doing none. He's keeping his mouth shut and ignoring her.

You stated that everything UP until she went to thailand was good... how was she "mentally abused" until then? This story does not make sense. She doesn't have ot stay at hte house, she stay at your house, or what not. He's not preventing her from eating. She can leave and walk/ get a friend (yourself) to drive her.

I just hate how people throw in ABUSE and domestic violence just because things are not going ok.

Those are not the only forms of abuse...he's also mentally abusing her. That's his wife...he's suppose to take care of her or at least try. He's not providing food so she can eat, now tell me, how is that not being abusive. Some of ya'll say she should have stayed in her country (WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE)...that's her husband, she loves him still and I'm sure she wants to be with him... it's not always that easy. I would at least want to find out why he wants to leave me and tell me to my face. Maybe there is more to this. Just because you don't have bruises or covered with cuts or a black eye, don't mean you're not being ABUSED.

he's not preventing her form eating. I'm sure there is SOMETHING to eat in the house? How do you have a house with nothing to eat? I mean, she has friends, she can simply ask them for help. He's asked her not to come back, I mean, she wanted to come back on her OWN choice. He didn't make her come back and live with him. Again, this is only one side one to the story.

If I were in her position, I'd leave. I'd find a way to leave. I'd go live with a friend, or best, go back home. Maybe I'm just cold hearted. :) Heck, I'd live with a friend for a week until I find a job and live in a crappy apartment for a few weeks/months. Its really not that hard. I've done it , twice when my parents kicked me out when I was younger.

This is a really interesting post Peter. I don't pretend to know what the actual situation in that home is but somehow, you are sure. When I see someone with such clear psychic abilities I am always jealous. How did you verify that your fantasies about the home are surely true? Is it something you can teach the rest of us to do?

Do you still live with your parents? :blush: I only ask because you say that you can't imagine that a house could have no food. It usually isn't included in the cost of the house. Did you know that? For most people it is rather easy to understand that if no one buys food, there will be no food in the house. It may always just seem to appear at your house, but probably your parents just don't let you know when they go shopping. Throw out all the food in your house and don't buy more. You may be amazed but there you have it! A house, yet no food. There are unfortunately many families that live in homes that frequently have no food. All probably avoidable, however, if they just knew about Peter's magical house-food connection! Or maybe that's what people mean when they say, "We'll always have each other!"

It sure is helpful to know what you would do! When your parents kicked you out were you a Thai woman, fairly new to America? Its just that Peter is a funny name for a Thai woman. Do you know if this woman has friends who are close enough to ask these things of them? Do you know if her upbringing prevents her from asking for such things? Do you know if, despite the treatment she is being subjected to, her upbringing tells her not to leave, not to give up? Do you know how isolated he may have kept her in the past? Do you know what is and isn't within walking distance? Do you know if any of her friends drive? You say you are sure. That is just amazing! I wish I knew how to do it!

You know, I'm going to try! Peter is a Thai woman and he lives in a magical house that never runs out of food! I'm sure it must be true! How did I do?

And your right, he asked her not to come home. Now it almost sounds like you think it's his house and she is just a Thai toy he ordered and would now like to return, but of course you wouldn't be that callous. Everyone should honor a request like that, so I'm asking you Peter, don't go back to your home, ever. Stay away. I don't want you there. Send me the address of your home and your forwarding address. I'll pack your things and send them to you. (but not the food) If you go back I may do bad things but only because YOU chose to go home. And, of course, I wouldn't be responsible for anything I did since you went home by YOUR OWN CHOICE, after I've clearly asked you not to. If you decide not to honor my sincere request, please explain your odd behavior. Why would you choose to behave in a way that you've criticized above? Of course you wouldn't so I'm SURE you're never going home again. It all makes perfect sense.

And you know that is really what I love most...posts that make sense.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We have our laws, maybe the guy found out his wife was messing around for his coldness, but in many states, adultery is not considered a reason for divorce, but the spouse is still liable until the divorce is finalized. And still may be liable after the divorce, believe the word is alimony.

That's the problem with posting one side of the story in this board, but who are we to judge anyway? I know in my state, you just can't kick a spouse out, have to go through a legal procedure first. If the spouse committed some major crime, don't have to worry about that, the state will remove that spouse.

How is this deomstic violence? The husband told her not ot come back, he is ignoring her an waiting for her to leave. This is not Domestic violence. Domestic violence is the act of verbal/physical abuse. From your post, he's doing none. He's keeping his mouth shut and ignoring her.

You stated that everything UP until she went to thailand was good... how was she "mentally abused" until then? This story does not make sense. She doesn't have ot stay at hte house, she stay at your house, or what not. He's not preventing her from eating. She can leave and walk/ get a friend (yourself) to drive her.

I just hate how people throw in ABUSE and domestic violence just because things are not going ok.

Those are not the only forms of abuse...he's also mentally abusing her. That's his wife...he's suppose to take care of her or at least try. He's not providing food so she can eat, now tell me, how is that not being abusive. Some of ya'll say she should have stayed in her country (WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE)...that's her husband, she loves him still and I'm sure she wants to be with him... it's not always that easy. I would at least want to find out why he wants to leave me and tell me to my face. Maybe there is more to this. Just because you don't have bruises or covered with cuts or a black eye, don't mean you're not being ABUSED.

he's not preventing her form eating. I'm sure there is SOMETHING to eat in the house? How do you have a house with nothing to eat? I mean, she has friends, she can simply ask them for help. He's asked her not to come back, I mean, she wanted to come back on her OWN choice. He didn't make her come back and live with him. Again, this is only one side one to the story.

If I were in her position, I'd leave. I'd find a way to leave. I'd go live with a friend, or best, go back home. Maybe I'm just cold hearted. :) Heck, I'd live with a friend for a week until I find a job and live in a crappy apartment for a few weeks/months. Its really not that hard. I've done it , twice when my parents kicked me out when I was younger.

This is a really interesting post Peter. I don't pretend to know what the actual situation in that home is but somehow, you are sure. When I see someone with such clear psychic abilities I am always jealous. How did you verify that your fantasies about the home are surely true? Is it something you can teach the rest of us to do?

Do you still live with your parents? :blush: I only ask because you say that you can't imagine that a house could have no food. It usually isn't included in the cost of the house. Did you know that? For most people it is rather easy to understand that if no one buys food, there will be no food in the house. It may always just seem to appear at your house, but probably your parents just don't let you know when they go shopping. Throw out all the food in your house and don't buy more. You may be amazed but there you have it! A house, yet no food. There are unfortunately many families that live in homes that frequently have no food. All probably avoidable, however, if they just knew about Peter's magical house-food connection! Or maybe that's what people mean when they say, "We'll always have each other!"

It sure is helpful to know what you would do! When your parents kicked you out were you a Thai woman, fairly new to America? Its just that Peter is a funny name for a Thai woman. Do you know if this woman has friends who are close enough to ask these things of them? Do you know if her upbringing prevents her from asking for such things? Do you know if, despite the treatment she is being subjected to, her upbringing tells her not to leave, not to give up? Do you know how isolated he may have kept her in the past? Do you know what is and isn't within walking distance? Do you know if any of her friends drive? You say you are sure. That is just amazing! I wish I knew how to do it!

You know, I'm going to try! Peter is a Thai woman and he lives in a magical house that never runs out of food! I'm sure it must be true! How did I do?

And your right, he asked her not to come home. Now it almost sounds like you think it's his house and she is just a Thai toy he ordered and would now like to return, but of course you wouldn't be that callous. Everyone should honor a request like that, so I'm asking you Peter, don't go back to your home, ever. Stay away. I don't want you there. Send me the address of your home and your forwarding address. I'll pack your things and send them to you. (but not the food) If you go back I may do bad things but only because YOU chose to go home. And, of course, I wouldn't be responsible for anything I did since you went home by YOUR OWN CHOICE, after I've clearly asked you not to. If you decide not to honor my sincere request, please explain your odd behavior. Why would you choose to behave in a way that you've criticized above? Of course you wouldn't so I'm SURE you're never going home again. It all makes perfect sense.

I'm sorry. I guess I should have been a little more uhm heartful? What else might have you expected from posting on a public message board? If you can't take some crticisim then don't post at all. It sure as hell looks like you also got the story figured out. Let's assume they are at the stage of removal of conditions. She has been here for almost 2 years. That's not fair to say? That's plenty of time to familiar your self with the location and people. Her English I'm sure is acceptable. Unless that is her husband spoke her language and didn't speak English at all to her. With the lack of op's lack of response we might never know.

If her friend was so concerned about her so much that she came here and registered and posted then I would consider her a more then a decent friend who would help he out getting food or even a place to stay.

All I'm trying to do is look at the whole picture or try to with the info given. Excuse me if I don't exactly beleive 100% on what's going on with only one post from the op

If you reeeeeealy want to know my past and he circumstances of it. I can gladly share that

Feb 2005 - APPROVED for K1 Visa

June - 2005 - Moved to the USA =)

Apr - 2006 - APPROVED AOS Without Interview!!

Feb - 2008 - REMOVAL of conditions!!!!!

02/20/2008 - Package was sent to TSC.

02/25/2008 - Package confirmed received at TSC.

Disclaimer: Hey, YOU! I AM NOT A LAWYER, Everything I say is my opinion based on MY EXPERIENCE.

It's really interesting how guys think!!!! Reading this post I definetly applaud Wei&Shue, she covered almost everything I had to say to "PETER"!!!

Peter, you don't have to be heartful just like you didnt had to be ignorant (althought u were when u said that "the situation" was not abuse)! VJ it's a place to find answers and give advices (you can ask Ewok)

We got your point! you know your way arround, and you can easily get a job and do everything else you said! Now try to do that after 2 years here in Nicaragua (spanish spoken), you will be nothing but a dirty gringo (that's how we call them) and of course you are gonna be doing that after 2 years that I have gave you everything (food, house, money, let's say I am your driver)

The guy it's on his right to file for divorce (for any reason he might have) but the girl has the right to fight for what's hers! 50% That's marriage... That's the contract!!!

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Nicaragua

Marriage : 2008-02-21

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-04-01

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-10

NVC Received : 2008-07-11

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-07-21

Pay I-864 Bill AND Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-07-22

IV Payment Online: 2008-07-30

Sent Completed I-864 and DS230: 2008-08-01

DS230 and I864 entered to the system:2008-08-06

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-08-14 //// 35 days! /// Not bad!

Medical Exam: 2008-09-18

Interview Date : 2008-10-08

Visa Received : 2008-10-16

US Entry : 2008-10-18 POE: Houston

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2010-07-16

NOA Date : 2010-07-20

Biometrics Taken: 2010-07-29

RFE 2010/10/12

RFE Respond 2010/11/05

Aproverd: 2010/11/23

Card Received: 2010/11/27

It's really interesting how guys think!!!! Reading this post I definetly applaud Wei&Shue, she covered almost everything I had to say to "PETER"!!!

Peter, you don't have to be heartful just like you didnt had to be ignorant (althought u were when u said that "the situation" was not abuse)! VJ it's a place to find answers and give advices (you can ask Ewok)

We got your point! you know your way arround, and you can easily get a job and do everything else you said! Now try to do that after 2 years here in Nicaragua (spanish spoken), you will be nothing but a dirty gringo (that's how we call them) and of course you are gonna be doing that after 2 years that I have gave you everything (food, house, money, let's say I am your driver)

The guy it's on his right to file for divorce (for any reason he might have) but the girl has the right to fight for what's hers! 50% That's marriage... That's the contract!!!

First, You can go ahead and read my posts again. I have never said anything about what is hers or 50% of what is owed or heck, even divorce. I didn't agree that everyone jumped on the wagon stating that she was "abused" or through in "domestic violence" . I get touchy on this because I went thorugh domestic violence, I went through abuse. Even the OP stated that everyone was great and dandy until her trip to see her family in thailand, There must have been not too much problems if she went for a trip home!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, if you don't like it. Move along. No need to call me a "Dirty Gringo".

Feb 2005 - APPROVED for K1 Visa

June - 2005 - Moved to the USA =)

Apr - 2006 - APPROVED AOS Without Interview!!

Feb - 2008 - REMOVAL of conditions!!!!!

02/20/2008 - Package was sent to TSC.

02/25/2008 - Package confirmed received at TSC.

Disclaimer: Hey, YOU! I AM NOT A LAWYER, Everything I say is my opinion based on MY EXPERIENCE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The OP also stated that what he is doing to her when she arrived back is abusive. Not what happened before she left. She stated that the woman felt everything was fine, and couldn't understand why he wanted a divorce.

Of course I don't know the entire story. There are three sides to this story, her side, his side, and the truth.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
The OP also stated that what he is doing to her when she arrived back is abusive. Not what happened before she left. She stated that the woman felt everything was fine, and couldn't understand why he wanted a divorce.

Of course I don't know the entire story. There are three sides to this story, her side, his side, and the truth.

More of a question of law than the exact circumstances that caused the dispute, so answer these two questions.

Does a parent have the right to request their child over the age of 18 to leave their home?

Does a spouse have the right to tell their spouse they don't have the right to come back home?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I totally agree. Abuse? no... it was cold and hurtful. He told her not to come back. She chose to come back, which alot of people would to try and work things out, but still.

He didnt lock her in that house. She needs to leave and find another place to stay.

Good luck to her

Gee you people are ignorant, ignoring is certainly a form of abuse and as a married spouse, she had every right to go back to her home, that is her home too. If he wants her out of there, leave that up to the courts to decide, they may let her stay there and make him find a motel someplace or make him pay the rent for someplace for her to stay. But leave that up to the courts so they can hear both sides of the story.

Marriage is a very serious contract and not taken lightly by the law and it would also be nice if the USCIS realized this fact as well. It is a rather easy contract to enter, but a very difficult one to break. And not like dumping an old girlfriend, once married, you are stuck. Even in some states, just living together forms an automatic common law marriage and one cannot pack up the goods of the other and dump them. Let's just leave this for the court to decide, but this woman most certainly should learn very quickly about her rights.

Just curious. How do we know that it was her home? They were together for 2 years. What if the home was his for 30 years? Or perhaps something that passed down in the family? I can't see how that automatically belongs to her 50%. I don't know the entire story here, and really none of us do. He didn't want her back and she knew it. So is it any surprise that he is cold? There is a lot more to this story than any of us know. And it is possible that it is her fault as well. How can we judge by the word of someone that has heard only one side?

Besides, what kind of a friend would have let her go hungry for 2 days? Something fishy here.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

More of a question of law than the exact circumstances that caused the dispute, so answer these two questions.

Does a parent have the right to request their child over the age of 18 to leave their home?

Does a spouse have the right to tell their spouse they don't have the right to come back home?

When its a spouse there's a lot more legalities.

This story is full of holes. We'll never get the entire truth.

But tell your friend to contact a lawyer. Thats all she can do at this point. He'll give her options. Also maybe help her with looking at getting a place to stay, a woman's shelter perhaps? Or with a friend.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Timeline

I totally agree. Abuse? no... it was cold and hurtful. He told her not to come back. She chose to come back, which alot of people would to try and work things out, but still.

He didnt lock her in that house. She needs to leave and find another place to stay.

Good luck to her

Gee you people are ignorant, ignoring is certainly a form of abuse and as a married spouse, she had every right to go back to her home, that is her home too. If he wants her out of there, leave that up to the courts to decide, they may let her stay there and make him find a motel someplace or make him pay the rent for someplace for her to stay. But leave that up to the courts so they can hear both sides of the story.

Marriage is a very serious contract and not taken lightly by the law and it would also be nice if the USCIS realized this fact as well. It is a rather easy contract to enter, but a very difficult one to break. And not like dumping an old girlfriend, once married, you are stuck. Even in some states, just living together forms an automatic common law marriage and one cannot pack up the goods of the other and dump them. Let's just leave this for the court to decide, but this woman most certainly should learn very quickly about her rights.

Just curious. How do we know that it was her home? They were together for 2 years. What if the home was his for 30 years? Or perhaps something that passed down in the family? I can't see how that automatically belongs to her 50%. I don't know the entire story here, and really none of us do. He didn't want her back and she knew it. So is it any surprise that he is cold? There is a lot more to this story than any of us know. And it is possible that it is her fault as well. How can we judge by the word of someone that has heard only one side?

Besides, what kind of a friend would have let her go hungry for 2 days? Something fishy here.

In some states, and I underscore some states, after a certain number of days, (in mine, 90) no matter whether the home legally belongs to one party or not, a person cannot be launched from his or her domicile. Once married the home is a common domicile and without a judge to declare who has the right to retain it, strictly speaking the other has just the same right to remain.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

I felt that if everyone applying for a marriage license were forced to read the divorce laws first that really dig deep into the mutual liabilities of that contract, that about 99% of them would think twice about getting married.

Also feel that the USCIS should be forced to read all the divorce laws of all fifty states, maybe if they were familiar with the liabilities, they wouldn't be so damned picky.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Good luck to her

In some states, and I underscore some states, after a certain number of days, (in mine, 90) no matter whether the home legally belongs to one party or not, a person cannot be launched from his or her domicile. Once married the home is a common domicile and without a judge to declare who has the right to retain it, strictly speaking the other has just the same right to remain.

Yes, I am sure a lot would depend on what state they live in. But if it is up to a judge, and the home was his several years prior, and the home was exclusively in his name, I would bet he would side with him.

As someone stated, the story has a lot of holes in it, and the OP hasn't been around much to fill in those holes. Nor would we get a clear picture due to the fact that it is a case of she said that she said..... Why would the marriage be good and poof, just like that he wants a divorce. Why? we can speculate, but we won't know for sure. As for how he treats her, a lot say it is abuse, but we don't know the circumstances. What if she was tramping around in the last 2 years and he just found out? I can honestly say that if that were my husband I would pretty much tell him the same thing. The only difference is that I would have changed the locks and gone to a judge to start the ball rolling. Would I treat him cold? He!! yeah! Would I feed him? He!! no!!

And to just show up after he said he wanted a divorce? Well what did she think, that by forcing herself on him that he would suddenly change his mind and want her back? That tactic wouldn't work for me. If she wanted to work it out with him I understand, but that was the wrong way to do it. So then what was the real reason for showing up after what he told her?

Now reversing the situation. If I were the jilted wife, and I didn't know why, I certainly wouldn't have handled it this way. It sounds like she still loves him. So go back to the US, stay with a friend (as we see she has one). Then gently try to talk to him, suggest some counseling. But if he doesn't want her back none of this will help. Personally if a man doesn't want me then I am out the door, no matter how much I love him. I would rather live in the streets than be with a man that doesn't want to be with me. Personally I would have stayed in my home country, but that is just me.

NickD is right, we all need to understand more about divorce laws before we get married. At the time we are in love, and it will last forever. Then reality hits. People need to take the time to really get to know each other before marriage, not after.

I hope they can find a solution to the problem, but a bunch of us jumping all over this is helping no one. We just don't know the entire story.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good luck to her

:thumbs:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:wacko: laughing my butt off but so very true

Timeline

With the marriage and divorce laws in my state, a guy would be crazy to marry an alien just to bring her into this country let alone that $250K fine five years in prison bit. That is why I found the I-751 procedure to be absurd to say the least, it takes ten business days to get a marriage license as a background check is made, no pre-nuptial agreements are recognized in a divorce court, and even abuse is not reason for a divorce, the big deal is property settlement. If a marriage license is applied for in a different state, can be subject to a $10K fine and a year in jail.

In essence, we are just one person with city, township, county, state, and federal laws to deal with and with tens of thousands cities, less for townships, country, and states, all have different laws to learn and to deal with, feel that WI should be exempt from the I-751. A guy could get creamed by marrying a person to bring them into this country. Now states are getting involved with immigration laws, all different than the feds, basically because the feds aren't doing anything about it.

This country was formed by 13 separately governed colonies that had 13 different sets of laws that united together to fight off the British, but the colonies became states with also their own laws that over the last two hundred years compounded into a mass confusion. Feel we should become one country, it's crazy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.