yankee

Pinay nurse ridiculed, called mail-order bride

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To all VJs,

I got this at GMA site and thought worth sharing. AN EYE-OPENER TO ALL OF US..

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/113641/Pinay-n...ail-order-bride

CHICAGO, Illinois – The Filipina nurse and retired US Air Force Reserve staff sergeant who was allegedly called a “mail-order bride" by a salesman in a Chicago retail shop is determined to get justice in a settlement conference next month.

Frannie L. Richards said she was shopping at the Swedish retail giant H&M (Hennes & Mauritz) last October when a male employee in his “20’s to early 30’s" raised his right hand and said, “Mail-order bride in the house" and ran toward a fellow employee before they started laughing.

Since there was no other shopper “within three or four racks of me," Ms. Richards, said she was “shocked and disgusted" these white employees implied “I was a ####### and could not understand why he would say anything so derogatory."

“I felt like crying but refused to give him the satisfaction. I had a red bag and was wearing black pants and a long denim coat. I am an Asian American woman," she said.

Because she wanted to get the names of the two employees, Ms. Richards approached them and asked if she could try clothes on. The man rudely pointed to the fitting rooms and said, “Can’t you read that sign, it says ‘fitting room.’"

As she walked away, the man started muttering under his breath and making a mocking noise like “ching, ching, chong." Richards said she felt degraded and upset.

Because of her frustration, she asked to talk to a department manager named Tom who could not even provide her the name of the offending employee.

Because she felt helpless, she left. But her friends convinced her to go back and get the name of the “harasser." When she came back, she was accompanied by a friend as a witness.

She looked for another manager. This time, Greg, could only tell her that his harassing subordinate would first “get a verbal warning, and if it happens again, then, it would be written down." She said she was told the employee’s name is “Joseph H." whose position is called “visual merchandiser."

April Lewton, Richards’ lawyer, said she is “pleased to hear of the Chicago Commission on Human Relations’ findings of substantial evidence of a violation in the case of Frannie Richards v. H & M, and we look forward to justice being served at the settlement conference in mid-September."

Ms. Lewton, an Asian-American Institute community organizer, said, “(the) finding of substantial evidence means that there is enough evidence for the case to proceed to an administrative hearing."

She added, “The settlement conference is an opportunity for the two parties to reach an agreement prior to the administrative hearing."

Because she wanted Joseph H fired, Ms. Richards filed a discrimination complaint against him for violating “Chapter 2-160 of the Chicago Municipal Code."

The said law guards against discrimination, including anti-Asian and sex-based discrimination, when discriminatory incident takes place in Chicago and involves employment, housing, public accommodations, credit or bonding.

She was initially assisted by lawyer Myron Dean Quon, Asian American Institute legal director. Mr. Quon commented then, “Anti-Asian, xenophobic and misogynist verbal attacks still happen on a daily basis. Asian American women, like Ms. Richards, should never have to deal with this type of harassment, in Chicago no less."

“I knew that I had to enforce my civil rights for myself and other Asian American women. Because H & M refused to discipline this employee, I immediately thought of my own female relatives and friends. The workplace usage of disparaging anti-Asian slurs should require the termination of that H & M employee," Ms. Richards insisted.

She earlier said that if the case is not settled before Chicago Commission on Human Relations, she is ready to elevate the matter up to the Cook County Circuit Court, where she will seek damages for emotional distress, injunctive relief, attorney’s fees, costs.

When news of the incident broke out, Filipino and other human rights activists picketed the front of the H & M, which even hired a Filipino - American lawyer to help the retail giant's legal defense.

02-16-06- met online

07-20-07- first visit to phils

07-26-07-engagement

07-28-07- back to US

09-14-07- submitted I-129F

09-25-07- NOA1

10-25-07 -NOA2

11-01-07- My fiance got a letter from NVC that within 2 weeks Manila Consulate will send my Packet

11-20-07- Date of my Packet, actually the real one was earlier but it was sent somewhere, good thing my Fiance arrived to spent Thanksgiving day in Phils and we checked the status in Embassy.

11-23-07- Medical though the exact date was Nov. 29..

12-06-07- Interview

12-16-07- Visa in hand

01-16-98- Attended CFO

01-18-08- Arrived in USA , POE-Guam

03-16-08- Wedding

AOS

04-17-08- Submitted the AOS

04-24-08- NOA

05-13-08- Biometrics

05-27-08- Transferred to California

06-14-08- EAD card received

07-21-08- Date of AOS approval but got the letter July 24

No Interview, No RFE and Additional Vaccination( just used the SLEC medical docs)

07-22-08- Date of Permanent REsident CARd , got it July 29

07-31-08- apply for SSN

08-05-08-SSN delivery

01-12-09- First day of work(Thanks to Marielle and Mario)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hope she sues and wins, setting a precedent for that store to make sure their employees are well versed in treating all customers with dignity and respect. F###ing idiots.

wow! :blink: :blink: :blink:

that guys is sick.. tsk, tsk..

i hope he gets fired.. :diablo:

Edited by envy_me

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

Interesting article. I cant belive this kind of thing is still going on. Well actually I can. I remember in the mid to late seventies growing up here in the states (I'm Filipino-American by the way) running into alot of racist people and racist situations. I would be called jap, chink, china-man, ######, slant eye--anything other than what I really am. They were very ignorant in those day. I have so many stories of an asian boy struggling in an all white school. It took a while to be accepted. I thought thing would be much better these days. Schools are much more integrated these days, especially here in California. To here of young adult in a public place would make such comments is very discouraging.

Edited by RickieAndEva

plane2u.gif

philflag.gifF1NMm8.pngusflag.gif

Married : 2007-10-20

I-130 Sent : 2008-01-26

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-14

I-130 Approved : 2008-05-14

NVC Received : 2008-05-20

DS-3032 sent AOS Bill Generated : 2008-05-26

Eva emailed DS-3032 : 2008-05-30

Called NVC and got IIN number : 2008-05-30

PAID AOS Fee Online and IN PROCESS : 2008-06-02

AOS Status changed to PAID online, and updated at the NVC : 2008-06-04

AOS packet with barcode cover letter MAILED via Priority Mail : 2008-06-05

DS-3032 email accepted : 2008-06-10

NVC received AOS : 2008-06-11

IV Bill Invoiced and paid online and IN PROCESS : 2008-06-14

IV Bill status = PAID, Barcode printed : 2008-06-17

AOS packet officially "received" : 2008-06-16

DS-230 Packet express mailed to NVC : 2008-07-02

DS-230 arrived at the NVC 11:02 am : 2008-07-03

DS-230 entered into NVC system! : 2008-07-03

CASE COMPLETE : 2008-07-11

CASE LEFT NVC : 2008-08-05

Interview letter (my copy) received. : 2008-08-08

Interview letter (her copy) received. : 2008-08-27

Delbros Paid : 2008-08-11

Medical APPROVED : 2008-08-26

and 27

Interview scheduled APPROVED : 2008-09-17

Visa RECEIVED : 2008-09-20

POE : 2008-10-17

I-130 was approved in 109 days - NVC process completed in 42 days - I-130 filing date to interview in 235 days

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
To all VJs,

I got this at GMA site and thought worth sharing. AN EYE-OPENER TO ALL OF US..

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/113641/Pinay-n...ail-order-bride

CHICAGO, Illinois – The Filipina nurse and retired US Air Force Reserve staff sergeant who was allegedly called a “mail-order bride" by a salesman in a Chicago retail shop is determined to get justice in a settlement conference next month.

Frannie L. Richards said she was shopping at the Swedish retail giant H&M (Hennes & Mauritz) last October when a male employee in his “20’s to early 30’s" raised his right hand and said, “Mail-order bride in the house" and ran toward a fellow employee before they started laughing.

Since there was no other shopper “within three or four racks of me," Ms. Richards, said she was “shocked and disgusted" these white employees implied “I was a ####### and could not understand why he would say anything so derogatory."

“I felt like crying but refused to give him the satisfaction. I had a red bag and was wearing black pants and a long denim coat. I am an Asian American woman," she said.

Because she wanted to get the names of the two employees, Ms. Richards approached them and asked if she could try clothes on. The man rudely pointed to the fitting rooms and said, “Can’t you read that sign, it says ‘fitting room.’"

As she walked away, the man started muttering under his breath and making a mocking noise like “ching, ching, chong." Richards said she felt degraded and upset.

Because of her frustration, she asked to talk to a department manager named Tom who could not even provide her the name of the offending employee.

Because she felt helpless, she left. But her friends convinced her to go back and get the name of the “harasser." When she came back, she was accompanied by a friend as a witness.

She looked for another manager. This time, Greg, could only tell her that his harassing subordinate would first “get a verbal warning, and if it happens again, then, it would be written down." She said she was told the employee’s name is “Joseph H." whose position is called “visual merchandiser."

April Lewton, Richards’ lawyer, said she is “pleased to hear of the Chicago Commission on Human Relations’ findings of substantial evidence of a violation in the case of Frannie Richards v. H & M, and we look forward to justice being served at the settlement conference in mid-September."

Ms. Lewton, an Asian-American Institute community organizer, said, “(the) finding of substantial evidence means that there is enough evidence for the case to proceed to an administrative hearing."

She added, “The settlement conference is an opportunity for the two parties to reach an agreement prior to the administrative hearing."

Because she wanted Joseph H fired, Ms. Richards filed a discrimination complaint against him for violating “Chapter 2-160 of the Chicago Municipal Code."

The said law guards against discrimination, including anti-Asian and sex-based discrimination, when discriminatory incident takes place in Chicago and involves employment, housing, public accommodations, credit or bonding.

She was initially assisted by lawyer Myron Dean Quon, Asian American Institute legal director. Mr. Quon commented then, “Anti-Asian, xenophobic and misogynist verbal attacks still happen on a daily basis. Asian American women, like Ms. Richards, should never have to deal with this type of harassment, in Chicago no less."

“I knew that I had to enforce my civil rights for myself and other Asian American women. Because H & M refused to discipline this employee, I immediately thought of my own female relatives and friends. The workplace usage of disparaging anti-Asian slurs should require the termination of that H & M employee," Ms. Richards insisted.

She earlier said that if the case is not settled before Chicago Commission on Human Relations, she is ready to elevate the matter up to the Cook County Circuit Court, where she will seek damages for emotional distress, injunctive relief, attorney’s fees, costs.

When news of the incident broke out, Filipino and other human rights activists picketed the front of the H & M, which even hired a Filipino - American lawyer to help the retail giant's legal defense.

even though what they said is reprehensale and disgusting. It doesn't rise to the bar of a lawsuit or shouldn't. People are offended everyday does that mean everyone should be sued? that is crazy this is political correctness gone wild here..... I have been in this situation before do u see me running to a lawyer? We all have to face this in life... I'm tired of seeing people decry foul and run to a lawyer everytime their feelings are hurt.... I know my opinion is not popular but I don't care.... We as americans need to grow a thick skin grow up and push back no cry like a baby.......

even though what they said is reprehensale and disgusting. It doesn't rise to the bar of a lawsuit or shouldn't. People are offended everyday does that mean everyone should be sued? that is crazy this is political correctness gone wild here..... I have been in this situation before do u see me running to a lawyer? We all have to face this in life... I'm tired of seeing people decry foul and run to a lawyer everytime their feelings are hurt.... I know my opinion is not popular but I don't care.... We as americans need to grow a thick skin grow up and push back no cry like a baby.......

the guy was at his workplace, where everybody should act as professionals and NOT as idiots.. :whistle:

Edited by envy_me

No one is better than the others. I think that guy who insulted Ms. Richards is maleducated. How about remarks to him like that? Don't judge if you don't want to be judged! I hope he will learn his lesson and learned how to respect people. H&M should not tolerate their employees, customers are those who bring them bucks and should they be protecting!

Filed: Timeline
No one is better than the others. I think that guy who insulted Ms. Richards is maleducated. How about remarks to him like that? Don't judge if you don't want to be judged! I hope he will learn his lesson and learned how to respect people. H&M should not tolerate their employees, customers are those who bring them bucks and should they be protecting!

Tell them how you feel....at their corporate web site;

http://www.hm.com/us/abouthmcom/contact__c...eresponsibility

I did and pasted the link with the article......

I am sure it will fun in that Chicago store...once they receive enough complaints.

it's funny when i checked their site..

on the CSR reporting part, it says..

"RESPECT FOR THE INDIVIDUAL" :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:rofl:

Edited by envy_me

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Interesting article. I cant belive this kind of thing is still going on. Well actually I can. I remember in the mid to late seventies growing up here in the states (I'm Filipino-American by the way) running into alot of racist people and racist situations. I would be called jap, chink, china-man, ######, slant eye--anything other than what I really am. They were very ignorant in those day. I have so many stories of an asian boy struggling in an all white school. It took a while to be accepted. I thought thing would be much better these days. Schools are much more integrated these days, especially here in California. To here of young adult in a public place would make such comments is very discouraging.

Oh man, that's terrible. I grew up in the Phoenix area and we didn't have very many asian students. I remember a Filipino classmate of mine HS - he was actually quite popular, good in sports and quite a lady's man that I recall.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

An overdose shot of Thorazine will shut his mouth or even send him to hell! :devil:

Our Medical Experience

K1/K2 Interview Experience

glitterfy-flpbk9170423469534.gif

AOS/EAD/AP

09/11/09 *** Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

09/12/09 *** Received/signed by R.Mercado

09/17/09 *** NOA1 (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/21/09 *** NOA1 Hardcopy received (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/24/09 *** Biometrics Appointment Letter Rcvd 10/19, 11am

09/29/09 *** Appt. to correct typographic name error (referred for biometrics..done)

10/06/09 *** RFE: Form 1040 of recent tax yr

10/20/09 *** Processing resumed

10/21/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/22/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/27/09 *** Transferred to CSC (AOS)

10/28/09 *** Touched(AOS)

10/29/09 *** Notices sent: EAD card production, AP approved

10/30/09 *** Touched (EAD/AP)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AOS: processing resumes at CSC)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/03/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/04/09 *** AP approval letter received

11/03/09 *** Card production (EAD)

11/04/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/05/09 *** Touched (EAD)

11/06/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/07/09 *** EAD Card received

12/07/09 *** Welcome Notice mailed

12/08/09 *** Card production (AOS)

12/10/09 *** Approval notice mailed

12/12/09 *** GREEN CARD received

An overdose shot of Thorazine will shut his mouth or even send him to hell! :devil:

:lol:

i think il sew his lips close.. to shut his mouth.. :devil:

:rofl:

Edited by envy_me

Choosing to be a doormat and just taking in whatever insults, hurts and humiliations are thrown your way is your choice but to chose to be able to live with respect and dignity is also a choice. If Ms. Richards will just let the harasser go unpunished he would think that it is ALWAYS ok to mock and humiliate other people from other race since they would only take all the beatings without complain.

You are right, we do face insults and derogatory comments in this life (no matter where we are) but if you won't learn to stand up for yourself it will only continue and will even get worst. You remind me of a classmate long time ago.. in grade school, he was always picked on but he just took it all without resistance until he was thrown to a pit and us girls had to take a stand for him. The boys said, it was ok with him coz he was not complaining anyway. The sad part is the boys even thought he liked being picked on or being the butt of joke because he never said anything against it.

I have been teaching my kids to chose their battle well, to just let go of minor disputes or little teasing but to stand up when they are kicked below the belt. I have been teaching them never to inflict harm on anyone but NEVER to receive it without complain. I have been teaching my kids to chose their battle well. Being insulted that way, and in public at that is just something that I would want my kids to stand up against and something that I would also not take sitting down.

If everybody will have your way of thinking, if everybody will think that it is ok just becoz it is the way of the world. If Rosa Parks and the Loving couple have your way of thinking and didn't stood up for themselves, do you think you will have america as it is right now? VJ won't probably even exist.

There may still be racial discrimination but compared to before the time of Rosa Parks I would believe, it has been lesser. Yes, there are still people who raise eyebrows to interracial couples but at least it is not illegal to be in an interracial relationship now and there are more and more people who accepts it, all thanks becoz one couple chose to fight and hold on to their love.

What happened to Ms. Richards was public humiliation and I am applauding her for fighting back in the right way. What she is doing is not only for herself but will also benefit not only asians but also people from other race.

Edited by dbears

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.