w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Understanding Immigration with Gumballs (YouTube)

83 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity how do you learn a culture?

What is US culture anyway?

Observation for starters. Seemed to work well for thousands of years for everybody else..

Travel around the country and you will see it. The United States is actually quite diverse.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I think integration depends more on the background of a person than the nationality..

there are several people here with college and further education, if you're nationality traits would be true, then these nationalities would be working in lower positions or some other jobs..

I was raised in a community with a large number of immigrants. The difference is that we actually took a lot of pride in our homes; In our community. Whereas I have seen a lot of predominantly South American communities in America which are just trashed and run down. Yet strangely enough I see people driving in Hummers and worked up civics. I simply do not buy this we have no money ####### because anyone can go to walmart and by a can of paint. Anyone can pick up after themselves or put trash in a bin rather than throwing it down.

that is because of education. not just because they come from south america... I know what you mean though, but it's not because they're from x or y country, it's the way they were raised.. I know families who live like a normal family, yea they speak spanish and whatnot, but they dont live like pigs..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I think integration depends more on the background of a person than the nationality..

i'd agree with that if you replaced "background" with "desires"

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

i'd agree with that if you replaced "background" with "desires"

oh there's no doubt of that..

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Filed: Timeline
I will be in DC for about 36 hours later this month.

Which part of DC do I need to go to?

The only ghettos I've seen in DC (and I've been there a lot) have been inhabited by people born and raised in the US of A.

DC area.. Which includes Virginia and Maryland.

You can start buy going about 2 miles down the road from the USCIS office, near Mt Vernon..

Oh.

I'll be around Metro Center.

If I see any suspicious looking South Americans I'll holla at you.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Out of curiosity how do you learn a culture?

What is US culture anyway?

Observation for starters. Seemed to work well for thousands of years for everybody else..

Travel around the country and you will see it. The United States is actually quite diverse.

Culture isn't exactly tangible though - so what exactly would you observe?

I think as long as you aren't a financial drain on the rest of society, pay your taxes and don't commit crimes - anything else isn't really anyone else's business.

BELL, Calif. -- Thanks to a grant from the president's National Security Language Initiative, Bell High School is offering Arabic as a core class, making it the only school in California to do so.

The course has been surprisingly popular, filling five classes, KNBC's Kim Baldonado reported.

"The world is changing and we need to be more outward looking, and Arabic is one of those languages in which we don't have a lot of knowledge of," said assistant principal David Arenas.

There is a growing Lebanese population in Bell, Calif., but 90 percent of the students taking the class are Latino. Many are already bilingual, speaking both English and Spanish, Baldonado reported..."

Link

Not motivated, hmmmm

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

that is because of education. not just because they come from south america... I know what you mean though, but it's not because they're from x or y country, it's the way they were raised.. I know families who live like a normal family, yea they speak spanish and whatnot, but they dont live like pigs..

I am not saying all South Americans are like this though. I have a few friends from Argentina, Chile and even Mexico who are very civilized back in Aus. Their parents take great pride in their homes. When you think about it, this is more of a class issue. The people who are coming here illegally / anchor baby wise etc are poor.

Immigration as a whole is not the issue. Immigrations policies need to be carefully monitored and adjusted accordingly. While this anything goes immigration system may have served the US in the past, I believe it is working against the nation in 2008. In times like these, for example, with the economy in the shits, the government needs to regulate the flow. The country certainly does not need any more minimum wage earners for now. The government needs to offer classes on language and American culture for new immigrants. Especially for anyone who is at risk of being alienated. This not only helps the immigrant but also helps the country become a better place for all.

The US citizenship test is all about history and the formation of government. It asks little about culture, traditions etc. Many OECD nations have now modernized their immigration / citizenship process in order to stop such alienation from happening to begin with. And to stop hatred from both sides where integration has not gone according to plan and resentment has built up. It is a good idea for new immigrants to learn about, as a whole, the new country they are migrating to. This way it also helps them understand from the get go what their new home is all about.

Edited by Aficionado

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
BELL, Calif. -- Thanks to a grant from the president's National Security Language Initiative, Bell High School is offering Arabic as a core class,

There is a growing Lebanese population in Bell, Calif., but 90 percent of the students taking the class are Latino. Many are already bilingual, speaking both English and Spanish, Baldonado reported..."

Link

Not motivated, hmmmm

Damn, you mean now we have to compete with trilingual hispanics for jobs? Isn't it easier to just send them all back home...

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

02/27/2012 : Sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/01/2012 : Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

03/07/2012 : Check Cashed (Fee $420*2)

03/12/2012 : Received NOA1

07/02/2012 : APPROVED (112 Days)

07/05/2012 : Received NOA2

NVC

07/09/2012 : NVC Received

--/--/2012 : Case# generated

--/--/2012 : DS-3032 (COA)

--/--/2012 : I-864 - AOS Fee $88*2

--/--/2012 : DS-230 - IV Fee ($330+$74)*2

--/--/2012 : Case Completed

--/--/2012 : Forwarded to Consulate [CDJ]

Consulate

--/--/2012 : Medical

--/--/2012 : Interview

--/--/2012 : POE

.....Waiting to for NVC to generate case# 2mww6.gif

Timeline

trilingual latinos!!

oh noes!!!

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Anyway, if people want to focus on 'immigrants' (whether legal or illegal) as the source of all evil, well, that just demonstrates a self imposed myopea as far as I am concerned.

Were it possible to rid the US of illegal aliens tomorrow, or even within a year that still wouldn't solve the problems that the OP seems to want to address. However, I have said it before, some people need a face to lay their blame on, immigrants seem to be copping that flak.

Ouch, now that was bad grammer!

OK, I think I messed up who wants to do what. I know you don't want to blame immigrants AJ. I think I need to lie down.

Edited by Purple_Hibiscus

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
trilingual latinos!!

oh noes!!!

they are just getting the jump on us being under sharia law.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!