ssgtam08

USA vs China girls Gymnastics

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am as pro-American as anyone and I hardly even watch the Gymnastics in the olympics before this year but I guess I dont see why we (USA) just cant lose cause the Chinese are better. The Karoly's (sp) get in front of a camera ever since there 2nd place finish and complain about the age of the chinese or the scoring or that the one girl was delayed from getting on the beam...

Do I think the chinese girls look 16? No of course I don't but what does it matter really. Do we have some 14 year old gymnast we are holding back cause of age...I mean all the hype was this was our best team ever. I was impressed with there flips and stuff it was cool. And it sucks for the USA that the girl fell off the beam but hey she was doing like a sping flip thing onto 4 inch board....sometimes your going to fall....Then like if you try a super 3 sumersault flip thing you are going to land on your butt sometimes.....Its not like it went down to scoring like 1 kid got 9.76 and another got 9.77 one kid fell doing something really hard and another fell less. The US girl falling has nothing to do with the age of the chinese girl.

The female karoly lady kept calling the chinese girls "little babies"...I mean get over it and be happy your girls did all that stuff in the first place.....They were more upset they couldnt get away with breaking the rules...Not once did either of the karoly's say "They were better" the US gymnast did though (the girl who did really well and dad was a gymnast).

Now there is something to be said for the chinese taking the kids out of day care at 3 and take them to training but its all relative...I mean we are making some teenage girl feel like a loser cause she made a mistake and couldnt do a sumersault onto a beam one time. I might be totally ignorant on China but taking a kid to a training facility paid for by the gov't and I think they pay the parents and training her for olympics is better then ending up in some sweatshop or living in extreme poverty.

Our Timeline K1 My Version!!!!

11-22-06 She winks at me!!!!!

2-13-07 Fly to MNL

2-14-07 I get there for Valentines Day cause I am sweet like that!

2-20-07 I fly home....

7-10-07 I fly to Manila again before I go to Iraq

7-11-07 Engaged

7-12-07 We go to Tarlac to meet the family and stay there

7-17-07 I go home....

7-24-07 Go to Iraq

2-24-08 I come back from Iraq safe and sound cause I promised I would!

3-25-08 Fly to Manila AGAIN 3rd time on that flight (But it was a little better on Continetal Airlines to Japan cause there coach class has power ports for laptops.

4-22-08 End of the best month ever....even though I had to shower from a bucket like Iraq and buy her an AC cause I was dying at her house....Had to do the visa extension thing which was easy, I had a very good time for the month I was there and felt so much more comfortable about the future!

K1

8-13-08 Sent 129f fedex.

8-14-08 NOA1

8-19-08 Touched

8-21-08 Received hard copy of NOA1

1-29-09 Touched again

1-29-09 Approval Notice Sent PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME

2-02-09 NVC gets stuff MNL2009######

2-05-09 Received hard copy of NOA2

3-24-09 NVC is finally done with whatever adminstrative processing they had to do.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. China was awesome, what can you say?

To be honest, I'm not sure if Bela Karolyi was sitting in judgment about the age thing, though. He did bring it up, but I wasn't sure what his point was. Did he mean that if 13-year-old Americans could have qualified, the U.S. would have had a better shot? I'm not sure. Of course, he was Nadia Comaneci's coach in the 70s, and she was 14 when she scored all those perfect 10s in Montreal--maybe he did mean that being younger would be an advantage. But if he was being judgmental, like, "those poor young girls!" then he's a hypocrite, as is his old lady.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think the judging system in the games is needlessly harsh, but I suppose it needs to be at that level of performance.

At least in the first day of gymnastics competition there wasn't one of the US girls who didn't make a major mistake. Call it nerves or what have you - but I don't think they recovered from that. The Chinese were consistently better.

I think the issue was the girls should not be allowed to compete because the minimum age for this olympics is 16 in gymnastics

the reason they changed the minimum age is because girls tend to be better gymnasts before they reach puberty, and younger and younger girls were being pushed into intensive training

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I think the issue was the girls should not be allowed to compete because the minimum age for this olympics is 16 in gymnastics

Can I correct that slightly. They have to be 16 in the year the Olympics are held. One of the Chinese girls is actually 15 but will be 16 later this year.

They won because on the day they were the best.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

China was incredible, waaay superior, but i must admit that it hurt when USA got the silver...

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Nicaragua

Marriage : 2008-02-21

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-04-01

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-10

NVC Received : 2008-07-11

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-07-21

Pay I-864 Bill AND Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-07-22

IV Payment Online: 2008-07-30

Sent Completed I-864 and DS230: 2008-08-01

DS230 and I864 entered to the system:2008-08-06

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-08-14 //// 35 days! /// Not bad!

Medical Exam: 2008-09-18

Interview Date : 2008-10-08

Visa Received : 2008-10-16

US Entry : 2008-10-18 POE: Houston

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2010-07-16

NOA Date : 2010-07-20

Biometrics Taken: 2010-07-29

RFE 2010/10/12

RFE Respond 2010/11/05

Aproverd: 2010/11/23

Card Received: 2010/11/27

Can I correct that slightly. They have to be 16 in the year the Olympics are held. One of the Chinese girls is actually 15 but will be 16 later this year.

They won because on the day they were the best.

I know that - but there was (apparently) paperwork from other competitions suggesting they were as young as 14. The gap of 2 years is huge in womens gymnastics.

I wouldn't deny the Chinese team were better - the US girls did not deserve to win with those mistakes.

90day.jpg

Timeline

I know about the puberty thing but if I am not mistaken dont even the USA girls do things to prevent puberty things like if you dont gain weight somehow you dont have a period....I mean really whats healthier and more likely a 4'7 chinese 15 year old or a 4'10 american 17 year old....I mean the US girl who fell her dad is like a foot taller then her and her mom is taller then her too.

Our Timeline K1 My Version!!!!

11-22-06 She winks at me!!!!!

2-13-07 Fly to MNL

2-14-07 I get there for Valentines Day cause I am sweet like that!

2-20-07 I fly home....

7-10-07 I fly to Manila again before I go to Iraq

7-11-07 Engaged

7-12-07 We go to Tarlac to meet the family and stay there

7-17-07 I go home....

7-24-07 Go to Iraq

2-24-08 I come back from Iraq safe and sound cause I promised I would!

3-25-08 Fly to Manila AGAIN 3rd time on that flight (But it was a little better on Continetal Airlines to Japan cause there coach class has power ports for laptops.

4-22-08 End of the best month ever....even though I had to shower from a bucket like Iraq and buy her an AC cause I was dying at her house....Had to do the visa extension thing which was easy, I had a very good time for the month I was there and felt so much more comfortable about the future!

K1

8-13-08 Sent 129f fedex.

8-14-08 NOA1

8-19-08 Touched

8-21-08 Received hard copy of NOA1

1-29-09 Touched again

1-29-09 Approval Notice Sent PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME

2-02-09 NVC gets stuff MNL2009######

2-05-09 Received hard copy of NOA2

3-24-09 NVC is finally done with whatever adminstrative processing they had to do.

intense physical training delays puberty in girls, but usually only for so long

it's interesting to compare pictures of nadia from 1976 olympics and the 1978 worlds to see what a difference 2 years makes

Edited by rkl57

90day.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

The one thing that they say comes with age and why the age difference does matter, is that someone who might be 12 or 14 years old doesn't recognize the pressure of the situation, doesn't have a mindset of maturity and the overall impact of their performance, so their performances are superior because their nerves aren't shot.

China's team was amazing...but I do think there is something totally shady going on.

Timeline
The one thing that they say comes with age and why the age difference does matter, is that someone who might be 12 or 14 years old doesn't recognize the pressure of the situation, doesn't have a mindset of maturity and the overall impact of their performance, so their performances are superior because their nerves aren't shot.

China's team was amazing...but I do think there is something totally shady going on.

I've heard this before and I agree 100%, up to 14 one still thinks like a child and doesn't really have a grasp on how important the olympics is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I wanna see how midgets would do here.

:lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!