Henia

Ramadan 2008

356 posts in this topic

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I agree.. oatmeal is a great choice... My main thing is staying away from anything salty - even at night- because then I feel thirsty during the day and it seems worse... But the big meals only seem to happen around here in the first few days, as the month moves on I don't feel that hungry (stomach shrinking I suppose) and after breaking fast, I'm just not that hungry..... But my best tip is stay clear of salty foods, you'll only suffer for it later... and the oatmeal is good, with some fruit if you can, extra fluid, and a little natural sugar boost to help you through the day as the oatmeal keeps you full. :thumbs: ramadan mubarak!!!

PS - This book looks interesting... Might have some good recipes to try for Eid or iftar....

The Arab Table: Recipes and Culinary Traditions

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Arab-...e/9780060586140

Such an exciting time..we have new sisters here learning al fatiha, more experienced sisters sharing tips on enjoying this blessed month of Ramadan. It's nice to see everyone sharing.

Kel, next weekend I'll be going out to your area for dates and bread. Maybe we can meet at Pepe's for a quick lunch :)

jJ

The one and only time I was in Morocco with my husband for Ramadan I didnt know a thing about it...and for me to see him so devout during this time gave me alot to think about.

When I was with him I tried to respect for some things because I felt guilty eating drinking and smoking around him.

It was hard for me to understand, although I had come so far for him, I still had to respect these restrictions during the time required and I had to live with it.

Now, while we are apart, he tries to encourage me to be more disciplined and honor Ramadan...I dont know why I keep fighting it and why it always seems to be so hard to do. :wacko: Now that I am a part of him, he wants me to really honor the time as he does. The number one thing he wants to me to give up, is Drinking.

now, drinking is not a problem for me, but for some reason,, when I feel I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, like it is not optional, I have a time with it. Does that make me bad? I just feel like, I'll try to do it, but I dont want to promise for it, cuz if I fail, then what??????? I will go to hell? Bad things will happen? I just dont want to be responsible in jeapordizing my husband's purity this time.

So, apart again during Ramadan. I cant exactly empathize...cuz I am not sustaining myself, there during this very strict period but I think I have to really think about what I am going to do. :unsure:

I am not Muslim and although I have changed myself greatly I am not sure if I HAVE TO abide by these rules if I am not.

Now we have been apart 5 months and I have to consider traveling there again. I told him I am waiting till after Ramadan...I think if I was there I would be a bad influence on him :devil: ...being on vacation and wanting to drink and eat and live it up...it just is better if i wait until after Ramadan so we can free together.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
The one and only time I was in Morocco with my husband for Ramadan I didnt know a thing about it...and for me to see him so devout during this time gave me alot to think about.

When I was with him I tried to respect for some things because I felt guilty eating drinking and smoking around him.

It was hard for me to understand, although I had come so far for him, I still had to respect these restrictions during the time required and I had to live with it.

Now, while we are apart, he tries to encourage me to be more disciplined and honor Ramadan...I dont know why I keep fighting it and why it always seems to be so hard to do. :wacko: Now that I am a part of him, he wants me to really honor the time as he does. The number one thing he wants to me to give up, is Drinking.

now, drinking is not a problem for me, but for some reason,, when I feel I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, like it is not optional, I have a time with it. Does that make me bad? I just feel like, I'll try to do it, but I dont want to promise for it, cuz if I fail, then what??????? I will go to hell? Bad things will happen? I just dont want to be responsible in jeapordizing my husband's purity this time.

So, apart again during Ramadan. I cant exactly empathize...cuz I am not sustaining myself, there during this very strict period but I think I have to really think about what I am going to do. :unsure:

I am not Muslim and although I have changed myself greatly I am not sure if I HAVE TO abide by these rules if I am not.

Now we have been apart 5 months and I have to consider traveling there again. I told him I am waiting till after Ramadan...I think if I was there I would be a bad influence on him :devil: ...being on vacation and wanting to drink and eat and live it up...it just is better if i wait until after Ramadan so we can free together.

I'm with Henia on this...I think you could show him this small sign of your love and devotion. Everyone makes sacrifices - if you're Catholic (which might be a possibility if you're from Philly) look at it like Lent and give up alcohol for this time. You can do it...(no disrespect to my MENA Muslimahs) see it as a month-long detox to put you on a better path, which will prepare you for your DH's arrival in America.

Bless you...I know you'll make the right decision for you and him.

I agree with Staashi and Henia..... It seems a really small request- but I do understand what you are saying regarding someone telling you not to do something and that overwhelming feeling to do it anyway .... Maybe reverse psychology will work if he tells you to do it? I'm just kidding!!

but in all seriousness it sounds like he's a good guy who is doing the right thing as a Muslim and introducing things very gently to you.. Even if you are not planning to become a Muslim yourself.... It's worth the compliment that he is being gentle... And knowing the mindset of some MENA men he may just be worried about your health or something like this as opposed to a religious aspect... Even though we know here science has said there are some benefits to the occasional glass of wine .. Most MENA countries don't subscribe to that school of thought...

In the end do what is best for you, but it could be a very simple gesture to show him that you respect him... Communication with him is going to be key on this one!! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was just wondering the best way to 'ease into' Ramadan for someone who is new to it. I am waiting a little later each day to eat to get my body used to it, but someone told me it might not make things easier, but actually harder - I'm making myself weaker for the start of Ramadan.

Does anyone have any tips on how to help adjust to this for someone new to it? I asked my husband, but he's been doing it since he was a child.

Thanks!

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I was just wondering the best way to 'ease into' Ramadan for someone who is new to it. I am waiting a little later each day to eat to get my body used to it, but someone told me it might not make things easier, but actually harder - I'm making myself weaker for the start of Ramadan.

Does anyone have any tips on how to help adjust to this for someone new to it? I asked my husband, but he's been doing it since he was a child.

Thanks!

I too need the same advice. I was gonna just type about this myself. I am new to Ramadan and want to so make my husband proud of me. I just don't know how i can go without eating all day, when thats all they ever do in my office. And when i get bored at home, well that refrig, has such good stuff in it. I know self discpline is needed and i'm not good with that. so if anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks!

I too need the same advice. I was gonna just type about this myself. I am new to Ramadan and want to so make my husband proud of me. I just don't know how i can go without eating all day, when thats all they ever do in my office. And when i get bored at home, well that refrig, has such good stuff in it. I know self discpline is needed and i'm not good with that. so if anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

You need to just take it one day at a time - I don't know how to do more than that. The first week was the hardest for me, after that it's almost habit.

Last year was my first year and I just made sure I drank lots of water the day before and had a game plan, then got really stuborn and told myself I was going to make it through at least one day and it wasn't going to kill me!.... Then I told myself if I did it the day before I could do it again.... ect... I work in a kitchen and really, it just took me being stubborn about it and digging in my heals like the bull-head I am :lol:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
fasting is done for God, not husbands or anyone else, for starters.

Exactly. If I had the mindset that I was fasting to make my husband happy I'd be making him miserable in no time flat and I'd resent the snot out of him!!!

What keeps me going is knowing why I'm doing it and truly believing it. One month is but a blink of an eye compared to eternity. That's what keeps me going, though I have to say lately when I don't have any food in my stomach I feel very nauseous so this year might be a wee more difficult to work while fasting.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Excuse me i worded that wrong. I want to do it for myself. But i want my husband to be proud that even if i failed i tried. Jeez

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.