Henia

Ramadan 2008

356 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
isn't it cool how that works??? things get better? I also noticed how often i pick food up without thinking and put in my mouth... awwww perhaps after ramadan i'll lose some weight now that i realize how often i absent mindidly eat

The other day at work I saw a guy get some M&Ms out of the vending machine. I immediately thought about wanting to get some myself. Of course, then I remember I am fasting and had to put it out of my mind, lol.

yeah well i was cleaning up after the kids' meal and almost put a half eaten sandwich in my mouth :whistle: then i remembered i am fasting :wacko:

lol, how about when you are cooking before fasting? I was warming something up and put my finger on to test the temp, then stuck my finger in my mouth wanting to lick the juices. I realized immediately what I did and freaked out. I still had 20 minutes until Maghrib. I hadn't swolled so I ran to the sink and rinsed my mouth out and asked God to forgive me. It was an honest mistake borne from years of habit. Thank God I realized before I swallowed the juices.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know cooking is so hard before eftar.... but i think you did well..good for you. At work i had to tell everyone that noone is allowed to bring Teryaki to work (there's a restaurant next door) for the whole month... so what did they do? Cooked popcorn instead..talk about a test!

Timeline
I know cooking is so hard before eftar.... but i think you did well..good for you. At work i had to tell everyone that noone is allowed to bring Teryaki to work (there's a restaurant next door) for the whole month... so what did they do? Cooked popcorn instead..talk about a test!

Oh God, the smell of popcorn can really go far and it is strong. That had to be hard for you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I bet all of us have our share of forgetting lol but always remember Allah is merciful and as long as its not intentional its not a sin and u dont have to repent for it. If u drink or eat anything forgetting u re fasting know that Allah has fed u or made u drink it for ur sake.

lyrics.jpg

Timeline
I bet all of us have our share of forgetting lol but always remember Allah is merciful and as long as its not intentional its not a sin and u dont have to repent for it. If u drink or eat anything forgetting u re fasting know that Allah has fed u or made u drink it for ur sake.

Thanks, I appreciate that advice :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Terrie---Does your husband go to a local Masjid? I was thinking that he could speak to somebody there and let them know what is going on with you and maybe they can refer somebody to outreach to you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

To build off what HisLittleMasriyah said:

Abu Huraira (ra) reported Allah's Messenger (saws) as saying: If anyone forgets that he is fasting and eats or drinks he should complete his fast, for it is only Allah Who has fed him and given him drink. (Muslim)

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Timeline

Awww you're all so sweet!!! Thank you for missing me hehe Nawal was right... I just took an internet break.. I do that a few times during Ramadan, (and other times in the year) Just time to regroup and reflect without the information super highway hehe And then I was at my mom and step dad's farm.. (Man she knows me like the back of her hand without talking.. freaky stuff) and I have no cell phone signal or internet there.. They are content with a country life .. I'm not content without those things so I don't go often enough :whistle:

Jackie (F) your story made me get those goose pimples.. I was praying for you that you'd get through this and that there would be a good outcome and really I can't think of a better outcome at all... I think like others said, many prayers were answered, and I'm going to continue to pray for your sister.. fi amen allah :)

Tasha so glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience at the masjid and made new friends!! that rocks! :thumbs:

Nawal - hows Ash? where is she? hope shes ok .

Hey :) I just messaged her last night and today. She's taking a break from the internet and relaxing for the weekend. Also at times if she's visiting her parents their internet/phone reception stinks. But she's doing well! You're very sweet to ask I will tell her you asked about her!! (F)

i just wanted to share the same the thing happened to me about forgetting i was fasting.

Well it is my first Ramadan in doing so, and just on like the 2nd day of fasting I was hungry and just out of pure habit began taking some crackers in my mouth...it didnt take long...and then, OMGGGGGGGGG :help:

NOOO I didnt just do that! But I knew it was just out of normal habit of eating whenever I wanted.

This fasting has been hard but not too hard for me.

I want to give respect to my love and support him during this time. Plus I am having a new awareness of things and since my husband is Muslim I think it is only right to take small steps in learning and accepting his religion.

I know I am not being as strict as the rest of you, but I am fasting and not drinking any alcohol this time.

I feel good about it, it isnt easy but not as hard as I thought. It is just funny how when you are forbidden something how temptation is lurking everywhere.

Rajaa

thanks for commenting on the breath issue :huh:

I wondered that myself...not being able to take anything into the mouth is very difficult for those of us who seem to always have something in our mouths.

I am just glad not to have a face an entire city of muslim folks who are fasting and having, well, not so pleasant breath :no:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
ok ok got a question... what are you folks doing about the nasty breath thing from fasting???

I wondered how to take care of the problem, too, especially since most people we know aren't doing Ramadan and don't 'get it'. Well, my husband said we can't use anything that has scent or taste during the day, even if we don't swallow it. I tried waking up early to brush and drink water before sunrise, but it doesn't last all day. Besides, the minty toothpaste just makes me thirstier. I found that just rinsing with water helps a little, but if you add a little hydrogen peroxide when you rinse, it works even better. The peroxide (which has no taste) bubbles away the icky stuff. Just don't use it full strength.

I learned about this from my dad, who is a dentist. He recommends it (and flossing, of course) every day anyway, since it improves the overall health (and smell) of your mouth. If you need extra help, put a little baking soda on your brush along with the toothpaste. I worked with him in the past, and have seen dramatic changes in people who use floss, baking soda, and/or peroxide.

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Terrie---Does your husband go to a local Masjid? I was thinking that he could speak to somebody there and let them know what is going on with you and maybe they can refer somebody to outreach to you.

No he don't. I've contacted the center in milwaukee, gotton a few email addys, and no response from one, and the other just hasn't contacted me after the first two intials contacts. I'm getting discouraged and a bit miffed. Like all my faith is just starting to fade away.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Please don't lose faith! There could be many reasons why you haven't heard back. Maybe the email address was wrong or the person isn't using email this month which would be odd if they are the ones answering for the Islamic Society. Rahma has some good sites to look at and I will again ask my husband about the man that I like to listen to that helped me to understand Islam better. I know his first name is Yousef but I can't think of his last name. I will ask Ayman and let you know. Don't give up, we are here to help you understand. Ask away and use this group as your support right now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

No he don't. I've contacted the center in milwaukee, gotton a few email addys, and no response from one, and the other just hasn't contacted me after the first two intials contacts. I'm getting discouraged and a bit miffed. Like all my faith is just starting to fade away.

If my faith were based upon the actions of muslims, it would have been drained (or blown) away long ago. I learned about Islam online and rarely interacted with muslims in the real world before my conversion. Sometimes I say "thank God I learned about Islam before I met muslims," because sometimes the behavior of members of our community is attrocious.

In times of hardship, turn to God and ask Him to guide you. He's the one who brings people to Islam, not people at the masjid :)

I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting in touch with people. I read the blog of a muslim in Milwaukee. I'll drop her a line and see if she can get you hooked up.

In the mean time, as Aymsgirl said, pull up a chair and ask here.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.