Henia

Ramadan 2008

356 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ramadan 1429

Announcement: The holy fasting month of Ramadan will start Monday, September 1, in most Arab and Gulf countries as well as North America and European countries.

"There was no evidence of any person seeing the new crescent today," Saudi Arabia's Judicial Council confirmed in a statement on Saturday, August 30. Therefore, Sunday, August 31, will be the last day of the month of Sha`ban and Ramadan will fall on Monday, September 1, added the council.

The Astronomical New Moon is on Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 19:58 Universal Time (i.e., 3:58 pm EDT, and 12:58 pm PDT ). This moon is impossible to be seen any where on earth on August 30. On August 31, the moon will be sightable in South America by naked eye, and possibly in South Africa and in Central America if wheather conditions are perfect. It would be very difficult to see in North America on August 31, but it will be visible on Sep 1, Insha-Allah. Therefore, first day of Ramadan (fasting) in North America according to sighting, is expected to be September 2, Insha-Allah. However, according to Saudi Ummul-Qura calendar, Fiqh Council of North America, and European Council for Fatwa and Research, the first day of Ramadan is on Monday, September 1, 2008.

In UK, the moon may still not be visible on September 1. However, according to a new Fatawa from Deoband, India, the first day of Ramadan in UK will be September 2, because the moon should be easily seen by naked eye from Australia to Morocco. In Pakistan also, sighting will be easy on September 1, and first day of Ramadan will also be September 2.

(source: Moonsighting.com) [updated 08/25/2008]

Accept my sincere greetings on the occasion of Ramadan. May Allah give us the courage to fulfill our duties and accept our prayers - Aameen

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Hmmmm :unsure: we were going to all start our fast Monday September 1 - But after reading this article .. I'm just confused.. is that still right? I went to several websites and I just feel more confused. Jihed talked to the mosque here and they are also beginning 1 September... What about everyone else? What resources are you using?

Inshallah ramadan mabrook to you also Mohammed and Melinda!! (F)

I love that picture, every year I see it and it reminds me of all the things I need to work harder on and what this month is really about.

I'm having the same confusion... We are just getting mixed information.. fast Monday or start to fast on Tuesday? :unsure: I'm still looking - Most things are saying Monday but then and again I'm finding something that says Tuesday.

I hope that your month is wonderful Jackie and as you said, that your fast and prayers all accepted, Insha Allah.

Take care :luv:

Ash :)

3425.jpg

Like all years, the anxiety of when to start fasting is upon us again. I heard this afternoon it could be tommorrow. My husband said 99% Monday for Jordan.

I won't be around much here in the next month. To my sisters, may Allah accept your fasts and prayers.

Your sister in Islam-Jackie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Actually, I have it loaded as a read-able file. It has the transliteration and the translation. There are supposed to be audio files to go along w/ it, but I haven't figured out how to get them on the iPod yet. Rahma sent this to me and I downloaded it here:

One really cool thing for the ipod is this - theonlyword.com - download this and a little text file, and you can listen and read the Qur'an on your ipod

Thanks! :thumbs:

Hey - if you figure out how to get the audio files on, let me know. :thumbs:

This link is really great and the files loaded for me with no problem. The sound files took awhile longer to figure out as their directions weren't really good for me. After some work, I have got the sound files on my ipod and you can play them in conjunction with reading the verses. Here is what I did:

1) Load the text files first according to the directions on the site.

2) For step 6 where it says "download the mp3 file" click on it

3) Go to your desktop and create a new folder and name it something like "Quran sound files"

4) Once you have the folder created you can close it

5) Go back to the list of sura files on the website (here is the fun part)

6) Now like the first part of the directions say, you must right click on each sura individually, then click "save as...."

7) This will open a window where you can select where the file will go, you must look under desktop for your new folder you created and click on that folder

8) This should give you the blank page since there would be nothing in your folder yet, after that click save on the lower right part of the window

9) You will repeat this step for each file (I couldn't find a way to save them all at once). It took me about 5 to 8 minutes maximum since after the first one you just keep hitting the right click on the next sura file and clicking save. Just so you know, your computer can load multiple suras at the same time so you don't need to wait for each one to load so long as you don't have dial up (that would be too slow).

10) Once you have all 114 suras saved in your folder then you are done with the website.

11) Go to I-tunes next.

12) In the top left corner click on file

13) Then click on "Add folder to library"

14) A new window will open, find your new folder in the window under desktop and click "okay"

15) This should load all the files onto your I-tunes play list. After this you just have to synch your i-pod and it will load all those files onto your i-pod.

On a side note, I noticed that it takes awhile for the i-pod to load "Notes" as the files are rather large. Maybe 20 or 30 seconds. Once you go to notes on your ipod and you select a sura, you should be able to click on "hear it also" and it should work. At first the i-pod will just show the sound file starting but you can just hit menu and it will go back to the text. After that you just scroll down as you hear each line of the sura. I hope this helps everyone.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

i was going to start fasting on monday too . but when i read this atricle i just dont know .

when i was in Egypt we used to know on 29th Shabaan at night . but here in USA i dont know how it go . cause it depend on the moon and no one can tell just at night on 29th shabaan. it is my first Ramadan here and i really dont know what i will do here during Ramadan cause i working 2 jobs at hospital from monday till friday and in weekends in another job

Ramadan Mubarak to all Muslims

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
i was going to start fasting on monday too . but when i read this atricle i just dont know .

when i was in Egypt we used to know on 29th Shabaan at night . but here in USA i dont know how it go . cause it depend on the moon and no one can tell just at night on 29th shabaan. it is my first Ramadan here and i really dont know what i will do here during Ramadan cause i working 2 jobs at hospital from monday till friday and in weekends in another job

Mabrook ramadane to all. In any case Sunday is the 30 th of shaabane, I don't understand why you should be confused that first day of ramadane is Monday? Am I missing something? Best wishes

• I-130 SENT 2-19
  • NOA1 RECEIVED 3-03
  • I-129F SENT 3-14
  • NOA1 RECEIVED 3-21
  • NOA2 RECEIVED 10-11
  • NVC CASE COMPLETE 11-21

7927.gif

inshallah ramadan mabrook to you as well!!

The confusion has to do with when the moon is visible here in north america / the united states .. Some people are saying Monday and others are saying Tuesday..

I think we are just going to follow KSA and go Monday... unless something else comes out? I don't know :unsure:

Mabrook ramadane to all. In any case Sunday is the 30 th of shaabane, I don't understand why you should be confused that first day of ramadane is Monday? Am I missing something? Best wishes

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Amal - I know it's hard for me too. I work in an office and I'm the only muslim (there's one other girl but she's moving to Saudi in September). We don't have offices here just desks and ppl eat lunch at their desks all through the day. At first I am intimidated - still looking forward - just scared on how I'll make it. One thing I do is try to buy some new scarves and such. I normally don't cover because of my work (I keep praying for strength to not care about work an and just cover) - but in the holy month I do cover and I let everyone know. I also won't schedule in-person meetings with clients if I can avoid.

Normally, we try to eat a 3-5 course meal together and pray the evening prayer together. This year I will attempt to read the whold Quran again. I would also like to find a masjid that my husband and I could visit - since we've yet to find one near our home :(.

Hang in there Amal - just log into yahoo on those days and we'll be there for each other :)

Happy Ramadan Everyone who celebrates!

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." ~Charles M. Schulz

ticker_43d762ca733a839226415450b0dbf9d2.png

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

May all of you who celebrate this most wonderful month have a Happy Ramadan!

Karim and Maysa

Edited by Karim Luvs Maysa

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." ~Charles M. Schulz

ticker_43d762ca733a839226415450b0dbf9d2.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
I have merged Ramadan threads. We all want say our 'ramadan mubaraks' and can now have them all in one place.

Have a blessed month and may all our fasts and prayers be accepted by Allah.

Jackie & Ibrahim (F)

Takes away the confusion I was having. Ramadan Mubarak to everyone!

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

ITA! Ramadan mubarak to you too!!!!

WE can say all of our salamz... mabrooks.. everything here :) Thanks Jaxs!!

I have merged Ramadan threads. We all want say our 'ramadan mubaraks' and can now have them all in one place.

Have a blessed month and may all our fasts and prayers be accepted by Allah.

Jackie & Ibrahim (F)

Takes away the confusion I was having. Ramadan Mubarak to everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.