Mona Lisa

Is my husband taking advantage of me?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I love my husband soo much, but this situation has cold our married after the fight with his mother.

I am married 2 years and I have been here 1 year and few months, I dont have job yet but as my husband is a owner of a little company I have been working with him since I arrived here. After some months I realized that his mother (the secretary) was hidding some bills of me, I didnt know how many bills we had and I asked and asked her several time, she said everything was ok and he always said that everything was ok and she did agree with what he said. I have worked so hard and never saw the money, I have shame to ask for money to my husband to buy essential things for woman, I have working soo hard even in our aniverssary, sundays and holydays, I was working without know what I was working for and one day I got sooooo furious I fougth with her and let the thing very clear: I wanted to see every bill that arrived at home. So time past and I discovered that his bill is $50 thousand dollares and I realized that was her bad administration that let us deeper in bills and to get more drastic, today I called to the phone company to add my name in the bill and guess: the woman told there was two names there are HER NAME and his name, then I acessed anothers counts and the big surprise every bills are in his name and Her F*&^K name together.

She has a daughter that is not married yet and they keep telling her that if her and her boyfriend split up, everthing that she worked and paid for will pertence to her boyfriend because everything is in his name. With this example I mirror myself.

What Should I do with this situation? Talk with Him? Talk with her about this? Please some advice.

Mona Lisa

Edited by Mona Lisa

First phase:

07/20/2006 I Married with my soulmate

I-130

11/08/2006 We sent I-130

11/10/2006 Nebraska received and sent it to California

11/15/2006 California received it

11/18/2006 NOA1

02/01/2007 Aproveeeeed!!!

I-129F

12/02/2006 We sent I-129F

12/06/2006 they received it

12/11/2006 NOA1

12/15/2006 they moved our process to CSC

12/18/2006 CSC received it

02/01/2007 Aproveeeeeed!!!

02/15/2007 NVC signed our case number and sent to Rio Consulate

03/21/2007 We sent the packet 3

03/23/2007 Today we received the packet4 from Rio consulate

04/11/2007 Medical exame completed

04/16/2007 visa tax payed

04/24/2007 Interview - Visa Aproved

06/06/2007 POE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to be with my husband!!!!!!!!

Second phase:

12/28/2007 AOS Sent

12/30/2007 AOS Received

01/04/2008 Notice Date

01/09/2008 Touch

01/23/2008 Biometric appointment (done)- They corrected my name ( I have 4 names and on the NOA they wrote just 3 names)

02/21/2008 EAD card ordered

02/26/2008 EAD card ordered (AGAIN???)

02/28/2008 EAD Aproved (it s very strange! did they order firstly and after aprove it????)

02/20/2008 interview letter sent (I just received it 5 days after the date)

03/03/2008 EAD card received

03/07/2008 SSN aplied

03/14/2008 SSN received

04/10/2008 Interview appointment - Aproveeeeeeed

04/15/2008 GC already ordered - Yahooooooooooooooooooo ooo ooooo!

ROC Sent

01/15/2010 I-751

Thank God and the VJ`s.

In God We trust!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to your husband first and during the conversation ask to him to give you a biweekly salary for your personal expenses, you made a mistake working without receiving a salary. It is unfair!!!!

You've been married a year plus and there hasn't been any co-mingling any accounts? Passing odd. I don't know what you used as proof at the AOS interview, but at removing of conditions you will have to prove a 'shared' life...that includes your name on the household bills/bank accounts/ life & health insurance, etc.

I would have a discussion with your husband and come to a resolution. Its your husband that you need to talk with, not the MIL.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes, of course, talk to him.

I agree you should receive a salary.

I also know first hand that bills can sometimes be confusing for the foreign spouse, at least in my case. Bills here are different and more plentiful then what my husband was used to.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you all,

The problem is my mother in law is responsable to pay our bills, it's her that makes grocery, it's her that goes to the bank, she has the acess all my husband bank account. I just have a bank card that it isnot authorized yet, i dont have drive license yet. I feel so miserable. I have told him to pay me just 5 dollars a day, he told that to her and she made a "desdem" smile and it NEVER HAPPENED. I feel so miserable with this situation: another person take care about our bills. What Should I do?

Mona Lisa

First phase:

07/20/2006 I Married with my soulmate

I-130

11/08/2006 We sent I-130

11/10/2006 Nebraska received and sent it to California

11/15/2006 California received it

11/18/2006 NOA1

02/01/2007 Aproveeeeed!!!

I-129F

12/02/2006 We sent I-129F

12/06/2006 they received it

12/11/2006 NOA1

12/15/2006 they moved our process to CSC

12/18/2006 CSC received it

02/01/2007 Aproveeeeeed!!!

02/15/2007 NVC signed our case number and sent to Rio Consulate

03/21/2007 We sent the packet 3

03/23/2007 Today we received the packet4 from Rio consulate

04/11/2007 Medical exame completed

04/16/2007 visa tax payed

04/24/2007 Interview - Visa Aproved

06/06/2007 POE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to be with my husband!!!!!!!!

Second phase:

12/28/2007 AOS Sent

12/30/2007 AOS Received

01/04/2008 Notice Date

01/09/2008 Touch

01/23/2008 Biometric appointment (done)- They corrected my name ( I have 4 names and on the NOA they wrote just 3 names)

02/21/2008 EAD card ordered

02/26/2008 EAD card ordered (AGAIN???)

02/28/2008 EAD Aproved (it s very strange! did they order firstly and after aprove it????)

02/20/2008 interview letter sent (I just received it 5 days after the date)

03/03/2008 EAD card received

03/07/2008 SSN aplied

03/14/2008 SSN received

04/10/2008 Interview appointment - Aproveeeeeeed

04/15/2008 GC already ordered - Yahooooooooooooooooooo ooo ooooo!

ROC Sent

01/15/2010 I-751

Thank God and the VJ`s.

In God We trust!!

Filed: Timeline
Thank you all,

The problem is my mother in law is responsable to pay our bills, it's her that makes grocery, it's her that goes to the bank, she has the acess all my husband bank account. I just have a bank card that it isnot authorized yet, i dont have drive license yet. I feel so miserable. I have told him to pay me just 5 dollars a day, he told that to her and she made a "desdem" smile and it NEVER HAPPENED. I feel so miserable with this situation: another person take care about our bills. What Should I do?

Mona Lisa

Talk to your husband. This is not rocket science.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everybody,

I love my husband soo much, but this situation has cold our married after the fight with his mother.

I am married 2 years and I have been here 1 year and few months, I dont have job yet but as my husband is a owner of a little company I have been working with him since I arrived here. After some months I realized that his mother (the secretary) was hidding some bills of me, I didnt know how many bills we had and I asked and asked her several time, she said everything was ok and he always said that everything was ok and she did agree with what he said. I have worked so hard and never saw the money, I have shame to ask for money to my husband to buy essential things for woman, I have working soo hard even in our aniverssary, sundays and holydays, I was working without know what I was working for and one day I got sooooo furious I fougth with her and let the thing very clear: I wanted to see every bill that arrived at home. So time past and I discovered that his bill is $50 thousand dollares and I realized that was her bad administration that let us deeper in bills and to get more drastic, today I called to the phone company to add my name in the bill and guess: the woman told there was two names there are HER NAME and his name, then I acessed anothers counts and the big surprise every bills are in his name and Her F*&^K name together.

She has a daughter that is not married yet and they keep telling her that if her and her boyfriend split up, everthing that she worked and paid for will pertence to her boyfriend because everything is in his name. With this example I mirror myself.

What Should I do with this situation? Talk with Him? Talk with her about this? Please some advice.

Mona Lisa

Sounds like hes mommy whipped. Yes, talk to him, but unless he stands up to her, which he should have already, your situation won't change.

Indeed.

You should prepare yourself to talk to him without getting too emotional about it if you can.

If it was me, I would explain to my husband that I wanted a salary that was reasonable determined by the hours I worked and the responsibilities that I was to shoulder. I would also expect him to make a change in the way business is conducted and that it should be you and your husband not you and your mil who makes the financial decisions that effect your household.

I would try, if possible to keep the MIL on board. Explain that maybe you would like to take on this what must be somewhat honerous chore and could she please help you and explain the system (even if after you take over you decide to change everything!) It is his mother and getting angry at her with your husband will not help, as I am sure you have realised.

Anyway, this will cause you problems in your over all relationship unless it is sorted out and not in some way that you just get sidelined with a bit of 'pocket money'.

Good luck to you.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thank you all,

Mona Lisa

They're keeping you completely dependent on them financially. I'd find another job and start working towards your own financial independence.

Filed: Timeline
Thank you all,

Mona Lisa

They're keeping you completely dependent on them financially. I'd find another job and start working towards your own financial independence.

Here here! :thumbs:

And yes, obviously talk to your husband. That's priority #1.

Thank you all,

Mona Lisa

I absolutely agree.

On a side note: make sure you do not (co)- sign anything you are not fully aware of what it is. As long as you are left in the dark about the business, bank accounts, bills etc. you should not take any responsibility for possible failures either....

07-25-07 petition sent

08-07-07 NOA1

01-23-08 NOA2, 182 days after filing

02-11-08 medical

03-04-08 interview in Frankfurt---approved!

03-11-8 Visa in hand --- what a heck of a procedure for this little sticker ;-)

06-16-08 flight to IAD

07-11-08 Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA

08-07-8 AOS package sent

08-10-08 AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox

08-14-08 check cashed

08-13-08 NOA1 for EAD,AP,AOS

09-03-08 Biometrics appointment

10-02-08 Case transferred to CSC

10-16-08 EAD and AP approved

01-26-09 AOS approved w/o interview

01-31-09 PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED

02-11-11 Biometric Appointment for Removing of Conditions

Our Wedding Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahela07/OurWedding07112008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Indeed.

You should prepare yourself to talk to him without getting too emotional about it if you can.

If it was me, I would explain to my husband that I wanted a salary that was reasonable determined by the hours I worked and the responsibilities that I was to shoulder. I would also expect him to make a change in the way business is conducted and that it should be you and your husband not you and your mil who makes the financial decisions that effect your household.

I would try, if possible to keep the MIL on board. Explain that maybe you would like to take on this what must be somewhat honerous chore and could she please help you and explain the system (even if after you take over you decide to change everything!) It is his mother and getting angry at her with your husband will not help, as I am sure you have realised.

Anyway, this will cause you problems in your over all relationship unless it is sorted out and not in some way that you just get sidelined with a bit of 'pocket money'.

Good luck to you.

Somehow the MIL seems to be a cunning witch, I doubt that would work, she'd see right through the plot.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you all,

Mona Lisa

your husband and you, have to live your own life, choose the right moment to talk to your husband about the issue.

Edited by vjmmbr

I am sure she would, but it can be difficult to argue against if you word it correctly and of course have your husband's full co operation.

We don't know the full story, so although it does sound as though the MIL is some kind of wicked witch of the west and the hubby is a #####, it could simply be that he is so wrapped up in other aspects of the business that this hasn't really emerged as a problem in his head.

Anyway, properly speaking, I would advise independant couselling. I know I always say it, but sometimes the only person that can make things work is a professional.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .