Heracles

Report: American hacked to death in Guatemala

34 posts in this topic

Report: American hacked to death in Guatemala

GUATEMALA CITY (AP) — Robbers armed with machetes hacked a U.S. tourist to death and seriously wounded his wife in an attack aboard the couple's sailboat in northeastern Guatemala, the woman told The Associated Press on Sunday.

In a telephone interview from her hospital bed, Nancy Dryden, 67, said her husband, Daniel Perry Dryden, 66, was killed by four men who boarded their boat late Saturday while it was anchored in Lake Izabal.

"They poked us and stabbed us with the machetes, and they were asking for money, specifically dollars," said Dryden, who was listed in stable condition at a hospital in the lakeside town of Morales.

The thieves were apparently unhappy with the take. "We had a few quetzales (Guatemala's currency), but we had no dollars with us on the boat," Dryden recounted.

The Drydens, who are retired and live near Anchorage, had bought the boat in February. They were equipping the vessel in preparation for a voyage into the Caribbean and eventually to the eastern coast of the United States.

Dryden said the four assailants may have reached the boat by swimming from shore and brandished long machetes that "seemed liked curved swords."

After assaulting the couple, the men demanded she hand over the keys to the vessel, which has an auxiliary motor. When she didn't — she was unable to tell whether they wanted the keys to the boat, or a small dinghy the couple used to get to shore — the men left, also apparently by swimming.

Dryden struggled over to the boat's radio and sent out a distress call. "I said we need help ... I said my husband was not moving," Dryden recalled.

She said she expects her children to arrive in Guatemala Monday and plans to be transferred to the United States for medical care.

Assistant Police Commissioner Luis Say said the attack is being investigated.

Located near Guatemala's Caribbean coast, Lake Izabal is popular among tourists for its jungle scenery and wildlife.

In March, protesting farmers briefly kidnapped four Belgian tourists at Lake Izabal to press for the release of a jailed activist. They were released unharmed.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-08...la_N.htm?csp=34

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After El Salvador, Guatemala is the most danderous coubtry in Central America

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Nicaragua

Marriage : 2008-02-21

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-04-01

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-10

NVC Received : 2008-07-11

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-07-21

Pay I-864 Bill AND Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-07-22

IV Payment Online: 2008-07-30

Sent Completed I-864 and DS230: 2008-08-01

DS230 and I864 entered to the system:2008-08-06

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-08-14 //// 35 days! /// Not bad!

Medical Exam: 2008-09-18

Interview Date : 2008-10-08

Visa Received : 2008-10-16

US Entry : 2008-10-18 POE: Houston

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2010-07-16

NOA Date : 2010-07-20

Biometrics Taken: 2010-07-29

RFE 2010/10/12

RFE Respond 2010/11/05

Aproverd: 2010/11/23

Card Received: 2010/11/27

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Wow. So much craziness.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

I am proud to say that I lead free tours of Baja California, and a majority of those that attend these tours are in their 50s through late 60s, sometimes 70s. I hate to think that when I reach this age, how vulnerable to attack I will be. Safety in numbers is my motto.

CJ from Arizona wanted to visit Mexico, was a little apprehensive, but because of the large group I had assembled, brought his 40-something yr. old son along, and had himself a great time. Its great seeing guys out at this age, and not stuck in front of a television somewhere.

DSC06012.JPG

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

This is a lesson for tourist.

When traveling to another land other the US, adapt and wear attire that are close to the locals. The second time I went to Cambodia, I bought the local (very cheap) clothing and wear them. Ever since, nobody every bother begging me for money.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

When traveling to another land other the US, adapt and wear attire that are close to the locals.

In my new gfs barrio, I hear its common to have groups of young men hold others up at knife-point, demanding their shoes, shirts, jeans, etc. if they are nice, and look new. Definitely heed this advice. Keep your camera tucked away. Don't pull out your cell phone unless its necessary. Watch yo back! :(

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

true, true, true...

Crazy world!!!

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Nicaragua

Marriage : 2008-02-21

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-04-01

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-10

NVC Received : 2008-07-11

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-07-21

Pay I-864 Bill AND Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-07-22

IV Payment Online: 2008-07-30

Sent Completed I-864 and DS230: 2008-08-01

DS230 and I864 entered to the system:2008-08-06

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-08-14 //// 35 days! /// Not bad!

Medical Exam: 2008-09-18

Interview Date : 2008-10-08

Visa Received : 2008-10-16

US Entry : 2008-10-18 POE: Houston

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2010-07-16

NOA Date : 2010-07-20

Biometrics Taken: 2010-07-29

RFE 2010/10/12

RFE Respond 2010/11/05

Aproverd: 2010/11/23

Card Received: 2010/11/27

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Safety in numbers is my motto.

safety starts with .4 is my motto. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
This would have never happened to them in Australia.

probably because they'd be too busy dodging jackjumpers, a majority of the top ten poisonous snakes and spiders, cane toads and kangaroos :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

probably because they'd be too busy dodging jackjumpers, a majority of the top ten poisonous snakes and spiders, cane toads and kangaroos :P

..don't forget the man-eating crocs.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Happened in China on the olympics opening day.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Timeline

When traveling to another land other the US, adapt and wear attire that are close to the locals. The second time I went to Cambodia, I bought the local (very cheap) clothing and wear them. Ever since, nobody every bother begging me for money.

This is true in India, too. Of course if you look foreign then wearing cheap Indian clothes won't fool anyone, but if you're of Indian ancestry it helps a lot. You get badgered a lot less and attract a lot less "attention".

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is true in India, too. Of course if you look foreign then wearing cheap Indian clothes won't fool anyone, but if you're of Indian ancestry it helps a lot. You get badgered a lot less and attract a lot less "attention".

homeless-coder.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When traveling to another land other the US, adapt and wear attire that are close to the locals.

In my new gfs barrio, I hear its common to have groups of young men hold others up at knife-point, demanding their shoes, shirts, jeans, etc. if they are nice, and look new. Definitely heed this advice. Keep your camera tucked away. Don't pull out your cell phone unless its necessary. Watch yo back! :(

True. That's called not giving 'papaya' more than is necessary.

Otherwise you may find yourself literally naked on the streets. Barranquilla maybe not so much of a problem but cooler Bogotá will definitely not be that fun.

Don't forget box jellies and great whites out in the water.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.