cy81

DCF Residence Question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

First, I want to thank everyone for creating such a great community to share information on this complicated and sensitive process.

I am considering marrying a foreign national overseas. I have strong ties to her home country, and I will get a residence visa for that country from our marraige. However, to take advantage of DCF filing, many people say that I need to stay in that country with that status for at least 6 months. Are there many cases where six months isn't the requirement? On the embassy's website for this country, it states that many people are eligable to file if they have a long term visa. However, the general memo sent by the Department of State clearly states 6 months for all countries.

If I am not eligable to file using DCF for whatever reason, can I still mail the form to the US and have it adjudicated while I'm overseas? I will still have an address that will be active. Does the I-130 _ITSELF_ require an interview?

Thanks for your help.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On the embassy's website for this country, it states that many people are eligable to file if they have a long term visa. However, the general memo sent by the Department of State clearly states 6 months for all countries.

I think in most cases, a long term visa is usually defined as six months or more. So not an issue, really.

If I am not eligable to file using DCF for whatever reason, can I still mail the form to the US and have it adjudicated while I'm overseas? I will still have an address that will be active. Does the I-130 _ITSELF_ require an interview?

More expert knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you're not filing by DCF, you have to file for a IR1/CR1 or a K3. (The I-130 is part of that process, it is not replaced by them.) You can find out more at the VJ guides or the State Dept. website.

Another way to visit the State Dept. website to find out if you can file a DCF and what the exact procedure is, is to visit their listing of consulates/embassies, choose the country your fiancee lives in, and look at their Immigrant Visa information. It's something like click on Visas to the US>Immigrant Visas>Filing the I-130 in (insert appropriate consulate city here).

Remember the process is all on the American side, so it doesn't really matter what the website for her home country says -- it all depends on what the process is from the State Dept. side... :) I also believe (again, someone I hope will correct me if I'm wrong) that there is always an interview involved somewhere in the process!

Good luck!

Edited by mynameisCat

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for your reply. The process for "bringing" an immigrant over on a green card (not K-1) after getting married involves filing an I-130 in the US. After it is approved, the USCIS sends the info to the embassy of the resident country in which case the IV applicant (my fiance) applies for a green card overseas and will attend her own interview. My question is:

Since the AOS and the IV application both require interviews, does the I-130 _SOLELY BY ITSELF_ require an interview from the petitioner? I could file the I-130 in the US and stay overseas with her until it is approved in which case she will go to an interview for her IV application once my I-130 is approved. I just don't know if ONLY filing the I-130 in the US will trigger an interview with me.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No, the petitioner doesn't get interviewed, though in some countries it can help if you show up with the beneficiary to their interview.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Depends on the country. In Australia the petitioner has to lodge the I-130 in person at their relevant Consulate

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Doing the DCF in China:

1. File the I-130 in person.

----> This will show if you have been living in the country for 6 months, and meet the requirements for CR/IR.

2. Generally speaking, the I-130 does not initiate an interview. It only assesses the relationship between you and the spouse.

----> However, if you file the petition in person, the officer that takes it, may ask some questions. It happened to me but really not an interview.

Marriage

First Meeting in China: 09-2003

BF/GF: 05-2004

Marriage: 01-12-2006 (marriage licenses)

Wedding Cermony: 02-2007 (parents and sister came from the US to attend)

Petition Process - DCF

GUZ walk-in/submitted I-130: 04-25-2008

I-130 approval: 07-01-2008

GUZ sent Approval: 07-08-2008

Received Approval: 07-11-2008 (Wife's category is IR1)

IV Process - DCF

GUZ sent P-3: 07-08-2008

P-3 received: 07-11-2008

P-3 Forms submitted: 10-23-2008

GUZ received P-3 Forms: 10-24-2008

GUZ sent P-4: 11-21-2008

P-4 received: 11-22-2008

Medical Exam:11-24-2008

Interview scheduled for: 12-01-2008

Interview Results: PINK

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.