Heracles

2008 Olympics

99 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The Netherlands just kicked some serious booty in the Women's 4x100 freestyle relay.

Canada came in 8th but with a new team best time.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
No other country who will host the games should even attempt to out-do the ceremony in Beijing! The beginning with the lit up drums, woah! And the boxes moving like waves, and the lit up people, there were so many amazing things. Maybe a bit extravagant, but as they've been saying China was trying to impress the world. Whether I agree with Chinese politics or not, no country will be able to touch that opening ceremony. Unless they want to spend way too much money. I don't think it should be attempted.

Ha ha! I'm not seeing the UK (2012) doing that! Anyone want to bet whether Elizabeth II will still be Queen? I say "yes." As long as we're betting, how about the 2016 site (selection in Oct. 2009--a little more than a year away): (1) Chicago, United States; (2) Madrid, Spain; (3) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; (4) Tokyo, Japan. I'd go with "Brazil." The others are tired.

Marriage: 09-22-2007

Conditional Residence

I-130 Sent: 10-10-2007

I-130 Approved: 06-03-2008 (236 days from VSC receipt to approval)

Case Complete at NVC: 07-30-2008 (52 days from NVC receipt to approval)

Consulate Interview date: 09-24-2008

POE Miami: 10-04-2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751 Sent: 07-08-2010

NOA1 Date: 07-12-2010

Biometrics Appt.: 09-01-2010 (Early Bio 08-13-2010)

Approved: 11-03-2010 (114 days from VSC receipt to approval)

GC Rec'd: 11-06-2010

Citizenship

N-400 Sent: 07-08-2011

Confirmation Text Message: 07-14-2011

NOA Priority Date: 07-12-2011

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: 08-01-2011

Biometrics Appt.: 08-19-2011 (Early Bio 08-12-2011)

"Placed in Line" Email and Touched: 08-16-2011

"Interview Scheduled" Email and Touched: 12-23-2011

Rec'd Interview Letter: 12-27-2011

Interview Passed: 01-30-2012

Email from Senator's Office Stating Application Was Approved: 06-18-2012

"Oath Scheduling Que" Email and Touched: 07-03-2012

Given Oath Date at InfoPass Appt. and Touched: 08-28-2012

Rec'd Oath Date Letter in Mail: 09-01-2012

Oath Date: 09-27-2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone else notice that there are lots of empty seats at all the venues so far? Watched gymnastics and now beach volleyball, and there are so many empty seats. Too hot? Can't afford a ticket? Not events that the chinese like? What's goin' on?

Timeline

U.S. jumping out to an early lead in medals.

Pulling for the locals and Greece to come out with plenty.

Not watching, myself, for two reasons:

1. Don't want to end my streak of not turning on the TV since the first week of June (not even the 49ers/Raiders could convince me to)

2. Don't like China, and don't want to support them and their censorship by watching it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

####### why isn't there 24-hour olympic coverage? :angry:

Michael Phelps was awesome last night! :dance:

China/US bball today, right? That will be exciting!

Edited by Jenn!

Yeah... Sucks... In the middle of girl gymnastics the covarage ended... #######!!!

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Nicaragua

Marriage : 2008-02-21

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-04-01

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-10

NVC Received : 2008-07-11

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-07-21

Pay I-864 Bill AND Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-07-22

IV Payment Online: 2008-07-30

Sent Completed I-864 and DS230: 2008-08-01

DS230 and I864 entered to the system:2008-08-06

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-08-14 //// 35 days! /// Not bad!

Medical Exam: 2008-09-18

Interview Date : 2008-10-08

Visa Received : 2008-10-16

US Entry : 2008-10-18 POE: Houston

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2010-07-16

NOA Date : 2010-07-20

Biometrics Taken: 2010-07-29

RFE 2010/10/12

RFE Respond 2010/11/05

Aproverd: 2010/11/23

Card Received: 2010/11/27

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it has to do with China's censorship of media coverage there.

But it's ok you can watch the footage all online if you have Windows Vista.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
IIRC, coverage wasn't 24 hours for Turin either.

Windows Vista? :angry:

I just checked and I am able to watch with Windows XP no problem! :dance:

Post the link!

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
IIRC, coverage wasn't 24 hours for Turin either.

Windows Vista? :angry:

I just checked and I am able to watch with Windows XP no problem! :dance:

Post the link!

On the NBC site: http://www.nbcolympics.com/?forcereload=true

I had to install SilverLight for Firefox.

Cool - you can choose 4 events to watch at once...

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
NBC withholding live Olympic events from west coast viewers :angry:

NBC went to a lot of trouble in order to get major Olympic events like swimming and gymnastics on the air live in primetime in the United States. Now, after getting their wish, the Peacock Network is inexplicably showing those events on tape delay on the west coast.

Because the time difference from Beijing to the United States wouldn't allow NBC to air live coverage of events from China, swimming and gymnastics finals were moved to the morning in Beijing. The network paid $894 million to broadcast these Olympics and didn't want a redo of 2000, when every major event in Sydney was shown on tape delay (it's no coincidence that the ratings for those Games were the lowest in history).

But after enduring months of tough negotiations with the IOC to get the events moved, NBC is doing exactly what they tried to avoid: showing events on tape. Tonight's swimming finals with Michael Phelps, Dara Torres and Katie Hoff were not shown live in the Mountain or Pacific time zones, nor will they be shown for the entirety of the competition. NBC will instead run the east coast feed three hours later; at 8:00 p.m. PT. So, at the moment (midnight on the east coast), viewers on the other side of the country still haven't seen Phelps shatter his own world record in the 400-meter individual medley.

This is a baffling decision by NBC. It's hard to recall any other occasion when a sporting event has been shown live in one half of the country, but not the other. It's unheard of. Sure, some sporting events start at weird times on the west coast, but that's the norm and people adapt. Like earthquakes, wildfires and actors-turned-governors, it's just how things are. That's why bars have breakfast buffets and bloody mary specials during football season for 10:00 a.m. kickoffs. If live mid-day weekend telecasts are good enough for the NFL and college football, why not the Olympics?

If the network plans on continuing the delay of the west coast feed, they're subjecting themselves to viewer backlash, poor ratings and upset advertisers. Essentially, NBC strong-armed the IOC into changing around a bulk of the Olympic schedule in order to broadcast live events in two time zones. Great business decision, guys. Why not just push Jay Leno out the door too while you're at it. (Oh, wait.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/b...4?urn=oly,99683

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

yea nbc fukced up big time.. so what that the events are shown at a weird schedule? I'm sure fans would have got up earlier to watch something..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
Michael Phelps was awesome last night!

He was smoking last night, basketball team looks good this time, I don't want a repeat of last time, made our basketball team look like a bunch of losers. We should take the gold in basketball there should not even be a question.

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I just watched like 30 seconds of the "beach" volleyball. It looked like they were playing on a court that was the color of sand. #######?

I played volleyball up through college so it's my second favorite olympic sport to watch (after basketball). It was so freakin' frustrating to see Rogers and Dallhauser lose to the 2nd to last seeded team!! :oops:

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110

Filed: Timeline
No other country who will host the games should even attempt to out-do the ceremony in Beijing! The beginning with the lit up drums, woah! And the boxes moving like waves, and the lit up people, there were so many amazing things. Maybe a bit extravagant, but as they've been saying China was trying to impress the world. Whether I agree with Chinese politics or not, no country will be able to touch that opening ceremony. Unless they want to spend way too much money. I don't think it should be attempted.

Ha ha! I'm not seeing the UK (2012) doing that! Anyone want to bet whether Elizabeth II will still be Queen? I say "yes." As long as we're betting, how about the 2016 site (selection in Oct. 2009--a little more than a year away): (1) Chicago, United States; (2) Madrid, Spain; (3) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; (4) Tokyo, Japan. I'd go with "Brazil." The others are tired.

I bet Brazil, too. South America and Africa are the only two (populated) continents who haven't hosted an olympics since I've been alive...they're due!

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110