mynameisCat

happy to be here

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have also just found this page as well, written by Irish lawyers, which seems to imply that a UK citizen should be able to utilize the EEA route instead of the UK route. Whether this is possible or not, I don't know, but it's worth taking a look at. They have an interesting table that compares the two routes of applying for a non-EEA spouse right of residence.

Oooh, this is all complicated.

I think the UK may be a special case. Last time I checked, technically, an EU citizen has the right to bring his/her non-EU spouse with him/her (but not a fiance/e). This does not give the non-EU spouse some of the rights that an EU citizen would have. They may not work, generally, usually having to file for residency and report to police or immigration regularly; also if the EU spouse leaves the country, the non-EU spouse may also have to go with them or face deportation of trying to get in or out of the host country -- I believe it's different for each country depending upon their own immigration laws.

And I think it might be different for the UK, but I do know that Ireland has been recently told by the EU courts that they must allow non-EU spouses in with their EU citizen spouses.

I haven't had a chance to check, and even though it's 1 am, I may go and check now, or I may not be able to sleep tonight! :)

yeh i was more concerned with the point that for a brittish citizen to reside in other eu countrys and work, then he/ she may need something like the carde d' sejour, i'm clued up to exactly which country needs what just wanted to give you a heads up that your fiance might need to get something if he wants to stay and live for more than the expected minumum of a holiday.

also i think wiallam wallace had a thread started that dicussed uk visas like a fiance visa and it was sujested it would take a matter of weeks as aposed to months perhaps this would be an option for you uk first then usa?

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/articles_s...35&L1=41000

Edited by Hannah+Vito

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

http://www.marriagevisahelp.com/index.php?...cessing-time-uk

first link on previous post is the los angeles uk embassy on spousal/fiance visa page

this link is to a page on dif site discussing the processing times of visa

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

Timeline

Oops, on post #16, it should read "a UK citizen WITH ANOTHER EU CITIZENSHIP", in the case of that page, Irish. As it happens, my partner does hold a dual citizenship, so it might very well make sense for us to apply for an EEA family residence card for me (perhaps in Ireland or the UK) once we're married.

Yeah, I'm aware that paperwork Must Be Done if an EU citizen wants to live in another EU country -- but I think he's done that before (Netherlands, I think) and said it wasn't any big deal.

Thanks for all the info, guys/gals.

Moving to the US is probably in our best interests at the moment but it's nice to know that we can return to settle in the UK after 4 years as well if we chose to; to be honest, I'm not clued up to how indefinite LTR means and how it works, though just knowing that I (a EU citizen) can bring my then (US citizen) spouse with me to the UK is comforting.

Timeline

Weirdly, although everything I can find says that after five years of marriage outside the UK, they're supposed to give you almost automatic Indefinite Leave to Remain, I can find how you're suppose to do this absolutely nowhere, nor how much it's going to cost you...anyone know?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

Welcome to this community. :)

Shape

Hello! Like seemingly just about everyone else, I'm happy to find a place with information to help relieve the headache I've gotten trying to figure out the arcane process of being with the man I love!

We have something of a luxury in that we've had the ability to go roaming about the world while waiting for his divorce to finalize. We're trying to figure out the best place for us to reside and marry in the next year. I'm from the US. He's from the UK. We're planning on living in the US, if that's where it works out best first, and eventually have the right for both of us to live in both the US and the UK. (What the heck, it's only money, right?) Neither of us wishes to be a citizen of the other country, but both of us would like the right to live in either country, as it makes sense for us to maintain a foot in both countries for a lot of different reasons.

We currently believe we have three main options:

1) Marry in the US, file for IR-1/CR-1. Once he has the ability to work in and to go in and out of the US with no problems, we'll work on the same for me in the UK.

2) Marry in the UK, file for IR-1/CR-1, live in the US, same as above.

3) Marry anywhere legal, live in the EU (utilizing his right as an EU citizen to live and work anywhere in the EU, plus his right to have a non-EU spouse living with him), somewhere, long enough to meet residential requirements, in a country that has a consulate that will take a DCF, file a DCF. Then proceed as above.

We've been living a wandering lifestyle for almost two years, but we'd like to be able to find a place to settle sometime in the next couple of years. I currently do not have an official domicile in the US, but could get one easily enough. (I do have a street address all my mail goes to and my bills get paid from, and all that.)

I'd love to hear any and all opinions and comments about the pros and cons of the above options, and to hear any we haven't heard of yet! Thanks in advance for any comments.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this site, it's fantastic how much information is here! (Making some new friends would be a bonus. :) )

Cat