Ilya R.

Georgia/Russia Conflict

295 posts in this topic

Well, it looks like the Russian way of giving your word really depends on who's doing the interpretation. According to the published reports about the cease fire agreement, the Russians were to pull back to positions prior to the skirmish. But, recent news accounts state that the Russian army is building security posts outside of South Ossetia and well within Georgia. There is even one being constructed 30 km from Tbilisi.

I guess that Russia really lives in fear that mighty Georgia will stage an attack and destroy everything that the Russians believe is theirs.

I'm sorry if anyone believes that Putin is such a wonderful man. Yes, he is a strong leader, but does that mean he needs to suppress any news that is not favorable to him. Does he need to insure no opposition leader has a chance of running against him or his cronies? Does he need to restrict access to world information until is has been sanitized by his information bureau? Ask yourself why is being a news reporter a deadly profession in Russia? He's KGB, do you know what that means?

Those who don't learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Well, it looks like the Russian way of giving your word really depends on who's doing the interpretation. According to the published reports about the cease fire agreement, the Russians were to pull back to positions prior to the skirmish. But, recent news accounts state that the Russian army is building security posts outside of South Ossetia and well within Georgia. There is even one being constructed 30 km from Tbilisi.

I guess that Russia really lives in fear that mighty Georgia will stage an attack and destroy everything that the Russians believe is theirs.

I'm sorry if anyone believes that Putin is such a wonderful man. Yes, he is a strong leader, but does that mean he needs to suppress any news that is not favorable to him. Does he need to insure no opposition leader has a chance of running against him or his cronies? Does he need to restrict access to world information until is has been sanitized by his information bureau? Ask yourself why is being a news reporter a deadly profession in Russia? He's KGB, do you know what that means?

KGB hasnt existed since 1991, but what it means is : Комитет государственной безопасности-Committee of Government Security!

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Date Package Received By NVC : 09-05-08

-- Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 09-11-08

-- Pay I-864 Bill :09-11-08

-- Receive I-864 Package :09-15-08

-- Return I-864 Package :09-16-08

-- Return Completed DS-3032 :09-11-08

-- Receive IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Pay IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Receive Instruction Package :09-17-08

-- Case Completed at NVC :10-16-08

Date Package Left From NVC :10-31-08

Date Received By Consulate :11-05-08

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4):11-25-08

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):12/08/08

Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received :12-11-08

Date of US Entry :12-17-08

Filed: Timeline

Not calling you a liar, but do you have sources? I'm just a news junkie. :)

I doubt anyone here would call Putin a "wonderful" man. He is smart, shrewd, charismatic, and projects an air of confidence that hasn't been demonstrated in Russia since Kruschev. Mostly what I'm hearing from Russians who support him is that yes he is ruthless, but he also has Russia's best interests in mind, and so they're willing to overlook his heavy handedness in the same way that many Americans overlook Bush's numerous faults because of his perceived toughness on terrorism. Putin's popularity stems from his embodiment of the Russian desire to end the humiliation they've felt for most of the last 20 years. There is a strong resurgence of nationalism in Russia right now, and Putin embodies it. And that's why he can get away with the things he gets away with.

KGB hasnt existed since 1991, but what it means is : Комитет государственной безопасности-Committee of Government Security!

Wish I could take credit for this, but I read somewhere else a few months back that KGB can be accurately translated into "Department of Homeland Security."

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Not calling you a liar, but do you have sources? I'm just a news junkie. :)

I doubt anyone here would call Putin a "wonderful" man. He is smart, shrewd, charismatic, and projects an air of confidence that hasn't been demonstrated in Russia since Kruschev. Mostly what I'm hearing from Russians who support him is that yes he is ruthless, but he also has Russia's best interests in mind, and so they're willing to overlook his heavy handedness in the same way that many Americans overlook Bush's numerous faults because of his perceived toughness on terrorism. Putin's popularity stems from his embodiment of the Russian desire to end the humiliation they've felt for most of the last 20 years. There is a strong resurgence of nationalism in Russia right now, and Putin embodies it. And that's why he can get away with the things he gets away with.

Wish I could take credit for this, but I read somewhere else a few months back that KGB can be accurately translated into "Department of Homeland Security."

Yeah

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Date Package Received By NVC : 09-05-08

-- Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 09-11-08

-- Pay I-864 Bill :09-11-08

-- Receive I-864 Package :09-15-08

-- Return I-864 Package :09-16-08

-- Return Completed DS-3032 :09-11-08

-- Receive IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Pay IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Receive Instruction Package :09-17-08

-- Case Completed at NVC :10-16-08

Date Package Left From NVC :10-31-08

Date Received By Consulate :11-05-08

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4):11-25-08

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):12/08/08

Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received :12-11-08

Date of US Entry :12-17-08

Mox, here is a link: www.star-telegram.com/190/story/846459.html

I don't make up this stuff, just from what I found.

Oh, by the way. I know that the KGB was dismantled in 1991 since that was a soviet system. But, where did Putin get his training?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Natasha and her entire extended family all think Putin is the best thing since caviar and mayonnaise. When she tries to explain it to me, it gets a little jumbled, but my interpretation is in agreement with what others here have said: he's trying to move Russia forward. Not that I agree, necessarily, but I can understand the sentiment.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hmmmm, I recall that only a short time ago the current president of Georgia got kinda upset when the

Georgian TV stations started running news reports and advertisements about opposition to him. Being a fair and democratic president, he took over the TV stations and all that nasty free speech disappeared! Of course that wasn't suppressing any news unfavorable to him.........

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

I wonder if the Russians are giving the appearance of making permanent structures in order to bait Georgian forces. They've maintained all along that their withdrawal has been slowed by Georgian forces being slow to retreat to their own bases. These structures could be a way to make Georgian forces apprehensive about complying with the ceasefire, thus giving Russia an excuse to stay longer. Strategically it's pretty savvy if it works.

Armchair Generaling is fun and easy! :)

Mox,

I assume you are referring to the state of emergency Saakashvili declared on November 7, 2007 which suspended all media production. The state of emergency was rescinded on November 17, 2007 and free public elections were announced for the following January. In that election Saakashvili beat out his opponents 2 to 1 each.

The media suspension was for a few weeks. It is not government policy in Georgia.

Mox,

I assume you are referring to the state of emergency Saakashvili declared on November 7, 2007 which suspended all media production. The state of emergency was rescinded on November 17, 2007 and free public elections were announced for the following January. In that election Saakashvili beat out his opponents 2 to 1 each.

The media suspension was for a few weeks. It is not government policy in Georgia.

I think you're mis-attributing that post to me. That post was made by PJB. :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Mox,

:rofl:

How about that getting elected by an overwhelming majority! Right after he stopped all his opponents from publishing THEIR views. Let's see... the reason for the state of emergency was........Hmmmmm........Oh yeah. Too many people disagreeing with him. And now he lets all those people go on TV and say how glad they are that he got elected and has pulled a Bozo stunt that got their homeland blown to bits. Nothing like good old democracy in Georgia. You betcha.

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

I don't know what's worse; having journalists end up dead for telling the truth, or having journalists that tell the truth completely ignored because the 16-year-old sister of some messed up pop singer is pregnant. Wow. Huge story. "Yeah I missed that whole faulty intel thing because, didn't you hear, Jamie Lynn is pregnant!!! OMG!!!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

You are too funny, Slim. Yeah, that's right. It's bigger news that someone got knocked up or slept with someone not their spouse or someone's kid just got busted for doing drugs. When the conflict between Georgia and Russia got started it was knocked off by John Edwards acknowledgment he had an affair. What's wrong with our media? Maybe a few weeks of censorship would help them appreciate what's really important to report on.

You are too funny, Slim. Yeah, that's right. It's bigger news that someone got knocked up or slept with someone not their spouse or someone's kid just got busted for doing drugs. When the conflict between Georgia and Russia got started it was knocked off by John Edwards acknowledgment he had an affair. What's wrong with our media? Maybe a few weeks of censorship would help them appreciate what's really important to report on.

Are you trying to imply that a private affair between two consenting adults, one of whom no longer holds political office nor political aspirations, ISN'T HEADLINE NEWS?!?!?!?! My god man, get your priorities straight!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.