dawgofwar71

do women get ridiculed?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
desis is plural for desi.

a desi is someone from the south asian subcontinent. usually people from india but i've heard some pakistanis and bangladeshis use the word as well.

in the sanskrit-derivative languages of the subcontinent, 'desh' means 'country' and 'desi' is someone from 'desh'.

Cool. I thought something like that, but wanted to make sure. Languages are so cool.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
In the Indian community it seems normal, and almost expected for those who are traditional, to find yourself an Indian wife and if it means finding one in India, that's how it happens. If you marry a non-Indian American, you must be a rebel! :P

Yeah the idea is to keep those ties with India alive... I was asked to do it too, but I didn't want to, I ended up meeting someone from India (who was in Canada at the time) anyway so it worked out for everyone.. lol... Indian girls in this country are expected to do the same but they are generally much less willing... since Indian men here and Indian men in India can be very different, and the girls tend to be more apprehensive about the differences.

Yeah I was thinking about that. I love when I met an aunt of Sujeet's here in the US she talked how her sons ended up with non-Indian girls even though she wished they found someone from India...she says this to Sujeet and me, a non-Indian!! :lol::angry:

Dont expect cultural sensitivity from desis. We don't get it.

You all are rude. :lol: Even Sujeet, an Indian, thinks so.

I know I am generalizing, and not all are rude. Just most. :jest: j/k (or not?) haha

She did welcome me into the family at least. I am sure she was thinking something else.

I am lucky I never experienced any of the negative stuff with my ILs, unlike my last experience with a Nepali Hindu guy - but then I know how to cook dal bhat, dance dohori(thanks to Govi), wear salwar, and speak some Nepali, so I guess they see me as Nepali at heart... :dance:(L)

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

If someone, whether male or female, does intentionally seek a spouse in a foreign country, specific or not, is there really a problem with that??

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

If someone, whether male or female, does intentionally seek a spouse in a foreign country, specific or not, is there really a problem with that??

Of course not. Who you pick to spend the rest of your life with is between you, your spouse and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Others may have opinions, but so what?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
In the Indian community it seems normal, and almost expected for those who are traditional, to find yourself an Indian wife and if it means finding one in India, that's how it happens. If you marry a non-Indian American, you must be a rebel! :P

Yeah the idea is to keep those ties with India alive... I was asked to do it too, but I didn't want to, I ended up meeting someone from India (who was in Canada at the time) anyway so it worked out for everyone.. lol... Indian girls in this country are expected to do the same but they are generally much less willing... since Indian men here and Indian men in India can be very different, and the girls tend to be more apprehensive about the differences.

you're married to incanada???????????????????????? :o:o:o

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

:lol::P

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Of course not. Who you pick to spend the rest of your life with is between you, your spouse and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Others may have opinions, but so what?

Me iz zcared now... :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:rofl:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Yes, I seeked me a Brit.... I like pasty white legs... :blush:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Yes, you'll always look tan around him I bet. I wanted to look like the white pasty one, that's why I went for a brown man.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

:o i thought you were British? or is that canadian?

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline

Yes, you'll always look tan around him I bet. I wanted to look like the white pasty one, that's why I went for a brown man.

:secret: I'm pretty pasty myself... LOL

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

wow, so she is a mena girl..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline

Well I just had some True North pecan & almond clusters...so maybe that makes me Canadian right now.. :unsure:

Sister Fracas is originally from Middle Earth---

:crying:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED