punkmada

K1 visa denied Cairo

163 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

It sounds like on paper they are trying to say with "labor cert" there is a problem with your co-sponsor. As for the case from india where the k3 was denied, a K3 is for married couples but I believe in this case you would go to Egypt marry and then try for CR1 (don't waste ur time on a k3).

Provide the addl religious info as stated above, but definitely address the sponsor issue since it seems that's what checked off as denial reason. Perhaps your co-sponsor didn't meet the guidelines (when taking into consideration their dependents, you, your child(ren) and fiance.

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
It sounds like on paper they are trying to say with "labor cert" there is a problem with your co-sponsor. As for the case from india where the k3 was denied, a K3 is for married couples but I believe in this case you would go to Egypt marry and then try for CR1 (don't waste ur time on a k3).

Provide the addl religious info as stated above, but definitely address the sponsor issue since it seems that's what checked off as denial reason. Perhaps your co-sponsor didn't meet the guidelines (when taking into consideration their dependents, you, your child(ren) and fiance.

No it has nothing to do with the sponsor at all. I read the other case and I know this is about our orfy marriage and the CO is stating basically he is trying to come here on a K1 Visa when in fact we should have filed K3 and this is unlawful. That is what is going on. On the other hand the Orfy marriage is not recognized so this is bull.

Filed: Timeline

Can someone help me because I don't understand this part ?

If an orfy marriage is a religious ceremony in Egypt? And the US government does not accept it as a form of "legal marriage" (meaning for rights to bring someone over by CR 1 , etc) than what is the CO's suggestion on how you should have filed your paperwork? It seems that filing for fiance was the only way to go - I am really confused.. Just curious if someone could clear that up for me... I guess I don't understand how it works in Egypt?? Did you ask the CO directly what forms he suggested that you fill out and if he thinks that he has a better understanding of it than the US government or the USCIS website???? :devil: ####### I don't get it...

No it has nothing to do with the sponsor at all. I read the other case and I know this is about our orfy marriage and the CO is stating basically he is trying to come here on a K1 Visa when in fact we should have filed K3 and this is unlawful. That is what is going on. On the other hand the Orfy marriage is not recognized so this is bull.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Egypt is well aware of Orfi marriages, and they know it is not considered a legal marriage. Was the marriage ever registered?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

I don't know if this is *any* help at all and I'm at work so I don't have a lot of time, but I read through this information when I was googling orfi marriages and trying to understand it better and there seems to be a lot of information and contacts here that could be of some use? If nothing else in explanations and situations others have had..

http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/marriage.htm

Timeline
Egypt is well aware of Orfi marriages, and they know it is not considered a legal marriage. Was the marriage ever registered?

Hamada said that the marriage was not legal since we could not get the affidavit.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Back when the US embassy in Cairo was refusing to issue the free to marry papers people were either waiting to marry and filing K-1 *or* getting married via orfi or just through the mosque and still filing K-1. The CO's a few months ago when they saw this would recognize the problem and not give a second thought to it and approve the visa. This happened to many on here today.

I think it's purely a religious thing in punkmada's case unfortunately. There is another member who is not on much if at all anymore who went through a similar situation. In their case the husband was interrogated by the police though, not by the CO, and accused the husband of being married to a jewish woman. In this case both the woman and the man were Christian actually but for some reason the officer was stuck on her being jewish and kept yelling "why would you marry a jewish woman??", etc. Fortunately for them the visa was issued shortly thereafter.

I'll get bashed for this even though I'm just the messenger but my husband outright said that it is highly highly unusual for an Egyptian man to marry a jewish woman and if they do it many people automatically assume the woman is a spy for Israel. It's hard for me to wrap my head around this type of thinking.

Can someone help me because I don't understand this part ?

If an orfy marriage is a religious ceremony in Egypt? And the US government does not accept it as a form of "legal marriage" (meaning for rights to bring someone over by CR 1 , etc) than what is the CO's suggestion on how you should have filed your paperwork? It seems that filing for fiance was the only way to go - I am really confused.. Just curious if someone could clear that up for me... I guess I don't understand how it works in Egypt?? Did you ask the CO directly what forms he suggested that you fill out and if he thinks that he has a better understanding of it than the US government or the USCIS website???? :devil: ####### I don't get it...

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

No bashing here and thanks for helping me to understand it all a little bit better. Wow a spy? Hmm I can't quite get it either, but all things aside... these visa's are processed abiding by laws and regulations of the US and that's the part I don't get.. If the OP has met all of those, I don't understand how the CO's personal prejudices should affect her situation.... Perhaps placing someone in his position that knows what they are doing and does it by the regulations given by the US would be a better thing... I'm not sure about everywhere but in Tunis the CO wasn't Tunisian, she was American.... Is this CO Egyptian and basing his denial on his own views? That is not the job of immigration's employees.... :unsure:

I'll get bashed for this even though I'm just the messenger but my husband outright said that it is highly highly unusual for an Egyptian man to marry a jewish woman and if they do it many people automatically assume the woman is a spy for Israel. It's hard for me to wrap my head around this type of thinking.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
No bashing here and thanks for helping me to understand it all a little bit better. Wow a spy? Hmm I can't quite get it either, but all things aside... these visa's are processed abiding by laws and regulations of the US and that's the part I don't get.. If the OP has met all of those, I don't understand how the CO's personal prejudices should affect her situation.... Perhaps placing someone in his position that knows what they are doing and does it by the regulations given by the US would be a better thing... I'm not sure about everywhere but in Tunis the CO wasn't Tunisian, she was American.... Is this CO Egyptian and basing his denial on his own views? That is not the job of immigration's employees.... :unsure:

All I know is that Cairo is so different than anyone else. They certainly don't abide by any laws that I know if and if they do I'd like to see where it's permitted for a CO to ask a man how often and when he has sex with his wife! That's what the CO did to my husband and made him feel like a total piece of doggie doo in the meantime.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Woooot? Wow.... Unbelievable... Sounds like the time for a new system of checks and balances... (Then again they don't work for congress so why should they work at the embassies ? :whistle: )

I am so sorry that he/you had to go through that :(

All I know is that Cairo is so different than anyone else. They certainly don't abide by any laws that I know if and if they do I'd like to see where it's permitted for a CO to ask a man how often and when he has sex with his wife! That's what the CO did to my husband and made him feel like a total piece of doggie doo in the meantime.

Timeline

The CO is 100% American, he told me via telephone that he in fact worked in Jerusalem, and that he was familiar with Jewish Law. On the other hand he said that he is familiar with Egyptian customs and traditions as well. He stated to me via telephone that more proof of the relationship would be needed and that he was refusing and sending the petition back and I could appeal it. This was the same thing that was told to my congressman.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

That's believable - Cairo is it's own beast. Punkmada, I would not rule anything out here: religion, sponsor etc. It still doesn't seem you have in writing the actual denial reason, so since you do not I would address any possible issue asap via your congressman. Provide proof on the orgy marriage not being recognized, religion, sponsorship any and everything.

I'm no expert, but since you're asking for help, my take on it is to address any possible excuse/reason they could use. Send it via your congressman and keep copies for yourself.

It's heartbreaking to see you go through this and I know nothing being said is making it easier, but trust me cross every T and dot every I now. We will pray for a speedy turnaround.

God bless,

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

I don't get it then.. Is it lack of evidence to prove the relationship? Is it the religious differences? Is it a problem with the sponsor/incomes? It seems like he's stated the answer as C.) All the above (anything I can think of to make a problem)

I am really so sorry for you :(

The CO is 100% American, he told me via telephone that he in fact worked in Jerusalem, and that he was familiar with Jewish Law. On the other hand he said that he is familiar with Egyptian customs and traditions as well. He stated to me via telephone that more proof of the relationship would be needed and that he was refusing and sending the petition back and I could appeal it. This was the same thing that was told to my congressman.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Provide proof on the orgy marriage not being recognized, religion, sponsorship any and everything.

:lol: I believe that is a typo. ;) But it made me laugh. :lol:

I hope the OP gets to the bottom of this and everything works out for you.

Edited by Mrs. Beasley

Timeline
That's believable - Cairo is it's own beast. Punkmada, I would not rule anything out here: religion, sponsor etc. It still doesn't seem you have in writing the actual denial reason, so since you do not I would address any possible issue asap via your congressman. Provide proof on the orgy marriage not being recognized, religion, sponsorship any and everything.

I'm no expert, but since you're asking for help, my take on it is to address any possible excuse/reason they could use. Send it via your congressman and keep copies for yourself.

It's heartbreaking to see you go through this and I know nothing being said is making it easier, but trust me cross every T and dot every I now. We will pray for a speedy turnaround.

God bless,

Yes, I have sent the refusal paper via email to my congressman. The congressman's office told me that was not the reason for the refusal that they were given. So, something fishy is definitely going on.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.