crs

I already have SSN

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I already have a SSN. What difference does it make for EAD and work authorization on K1?I know I am thinking too far ahead... but curious!

It means you'll write it where asked instead of "none" and you won't need to go to the SSN office to apply for another one.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I already have a SSN. What difference does it make for EAD and work authorization on K1?I know I am thinking too far ahead... but curious!

For tax purposes also..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It means you'll write it where asked instead of "none" and you won't need to go to the SSN office to apply for another one.

pushbrk, you strike me as one of the more knowledgable posters around here; perhaps you could shed a little light on this for me.

I too already have an SSN (having been over there on a student visa between 2004 - 2006) but it has "NOT AUTHORISED TO WORK" plastered all over it. I'm assuming, therefore, that a trip to the local SS office to have that restriction removed will still be needed? Do I keep the same number or am I issued with a new one?

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

pushbrk, you strike me as one of the more knowledgable posters around here; perhaps you could shed a little light on this for me.

I too already have an SSN (having been over there on a student visa between 2004 - 2006) but it has "NOT AUTHORISED TO WORK" plastered all over it. I'm assuming, therefore, that a trip to the local SS office to have that restriction removed will still be needed? Do I keep the same number or am I issued with a new one?

You will keep the same number.

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Timeline

OK, so what happens with the old card? Is it simply a case of writing to them (enclosing the old card and copies of the K1)?

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Timeline

You dont need a SSN to open a bank account or for a library card... in fact I had both before having a SSN. My SSN also doesnt state anything about work authorization. I was just wondering if anyone had the same situation :)

You dont need a SSN to open a bank account or for a library card... in fact I had both before having a SSN. My SSN also doesnt state anything about work authorization. I was just wondering if anyone had the same situation :)

Oh, it does say about work authorization... it says valid for work only with DHS authorization. haha! Never noticed before :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Damian, you will keep the same number. SS# does not authorize you to work. A K1 visa allows for a SS# which will then allow you to get EAD from DHS. Make sense? :whistle: They will remove that stamp when you receive EAD.

timeline.jpg

OK, so what happens with the old card? Is it simply a case of writing to them (enclosing the old card and copies of the K1)?

You'll get a new SSN card with that caveat removed once you get your EAD. You'll still have the same number. You'll just walk into a local office once you have your EAD and they'll take your information, the old card, and send you one that will have that remark removed. They can't do it however until you get your EAD.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Oh, it does say about work authorization... it says valid for work only with DHS authorization. haha! Never noticed before :)

When you achieve LPR status, you may request a replacement card.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I put question marks after my statements because SOME States, and cities, and banks DO require your SSN to do that. I speak about this personally. You're lucky you got those things before your SSN. You didn't say in your original post. I hope others though might find the information I provided helpful.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One less thing to deal with later, once SSA issues a person a number it is their's for life.

Visit SSA after getting EAD and Green-card to update them on immigrations status.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
One less thing to deal with later, once SSA issues a person a number it is their's for life.

Visit SSA after getting EAD and Green-card to update them on immigrations status.

Receiving EAD is not a change in immigration status... it is an interim benefit while your status adjustment application is being processed.

However, receiving your greencard is.... so a visit to SSA is needed when this happens.

YMMV

Timeline

Damian, you will keep the same number. SS# does not authorize you to work. A K1 visa allows for a SS# which will then allow you to get EAD from DHS. Make sense? :whistle: They will remove that stamp when you receive EAD.

Oh yeah, about as much as anything else involved in this process!!! :lol:

You'll get a new SSN card with that caveat removed once you get your EAD. You'll still have the same number. You'll just walk into a local office once you have your EAD and they'll take your information, the old card, and send you one that will have that remark removed. They can't do it however until you get your EAD.

Gotcha - ta very much. :thumbs:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.