Ume

POE/Proof of Ties/SFO

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi everyone :star:

My K1 petition is pending; we only received NOA1, and he is tired of waiting.

So I decided to have a vacation and bought flight tickets to visit US. However, my situation is a little different since I'm only 24 years old and I'm the mother of the house.

I came back to Japan last September after my OPT has expired and a week after that, my mother started her new job and needed to be really into it to have a good salary. I've been staying home, doing all the house chores, and also I grow rice and vegetables just enough for my family(I live in the countryside.)

I don't know what I should say if the officer at POE asks me what my job is.

I do belong to a temp agency and they given me lots of offers, but I couldn't take it because I was busy enough with chores and some labor.

I don't know if most officers take my "work" as "a job."

Would someone please advise me on this and if I'm missing something to be prepared as much as I could?

Have anyone had similar situation at SFO? (meaning visit fiance while the petition is pending.)

What did they ask you?

Left US~September 2007

Visited US~Jan.2008~Apr.2008(2.5months) Said "Sight seeing" to a grumpy offier at LAX. Had no problem.

Visiting US~Ang.2008~Nov.2008(2.5months) Going through SFO

Proof of ties~Return Ticket(E-ticket):Proof of residece w/ translation:Letter from Temp agancy that states I'm one of their temps(doesn't say I have a job.)in Japanese:Temp staff card: Letter from my fiancee saying he supports my visit financially:Some K1 Papers: Info of my attorney(I don't know if this helps...):Phone bill(I've been paying for 7 years)

Please help me :help:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi everyone :star:

My K1 petition is pending; we only received NOA1, and he is tired of waiting.

So I decided to have a vacation and bought flight tickets to visit US. However, my situation is a little different since I'm only 24 years old and I'm the mother of the house.

I came back to Japan last September after my OPT has expired and a week after that, my mother started her new job and needed to be really into it to have a good salary. I've been staying home, doing all the house chores, and also I grow rice and vegetables just enough for my family(I live in the countryside.)

I don't know what I should say if the officer at POE asks me what my job is.

I do belong to a temp agency and they given me lots of offers, but I couldn't take it because I was busy enough with chores and some labor.

I don't know if most officers take my "work" as "a job."

Would someone please advise me on this and if I'm missing something to be prepared as much as I could?

Have anyone had similar situation at SFO? (meaning visit fiance while the petition is pending.)

What did they ask you?

Left US~September 2007

Visited US~Jan.2008~Apr.2008(2.5months) Said "Sight seeing" to a grumpy offier at LAX. Had no problem.

Visiting US~Ang.2008~Nov.2008(2.5months) Going through SFO

Proof of ties~Return Ticket(E-ticket):Proof of residece w/ translation:Letter from Temp agancy that states I'm one of their temps(doesn't say I have a job.)in Japanese:Temp staff card: Letter from my fiancee saying he supports my visit financially:Some K1 Papers: Info of my attorney(I don't know if this helps...):Phone bill(I've been paying for 7 years)

Please help me :help:

My SO came to visit me and had trouble at POE (thankfully made it through). They didn't care about the return ticket. They really didn't like that I was paying for his stay and that I paid for his plane ticket (it shows in their database). It didn't help us that he'd visited before, either. It took a lot of questioning and calling me to convince the officer that he was going home in the end.

Since your temp agency thing doesn't say you have a job, I'd bring with you a bank statement showing funds, assuming you have them, and a lease in your name for housing. Anything showing you've got obligations to your home country. I'm not convinced that what you listed will be adequate proof. :unsure:

Best of luck!

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Don't worry about it so much..

The officer at the airport will ask you...

For your passport,

How long is your stay in the U.S.? Tell them the length you are going to be here.

Where are you going to stay at? (who's house, or hotel name and address)

Why are you here? To visit a friend and do some sightseeing around the S.F. area.

What do you do for work? Tell them you are a office worker for a company like 'Valor market', or work for a store like 'K's Denki'.... They will not know where you work they don't have that information on their screen. Or tell them you are a house wife.

Did you bring any food with you? You can bring some food like rice crackers but no fruit or vegetables.

I-130 Timeline

California Service Center

Consulate - Tokyo, Japan

03-27-2006 - Marriage

06-13-2008 - I-130 Sent

06-20-2008 - I-130 NOA1

08-08-2008 - Touched

08-09-2008 - Touched

08-12-2008 - Touched

08-25-2008 - I-130 Approved

Nothing showed on-line got a letter on 08/29/2008

08-29-2008 - Paid AOS Fee

09-05-2008 - mailed DS-3032

09-10-2008 - Paid IV Fee

09-11-2008 - Mailed I-864

11/26/2008 - Case Completed at NVC

01/20/2009 - Interview @ American Tokyo Embassy.

01/24/2009 - Received passport back from Embassy.

11846.gif

Timeline

Thanks for the info.! :star:

I think I'm going to say...

The purpose of visit: Visiting

Who I'm visiting: My boyfriend

Who I'm staying with: My boyfriend

My work: Temp worker(Administrative)

Length of stay: 2.5 months

I hope the conversation ends quickly :clock:

I'm just going to tell the truth and only what they ask.

I'll be confused if they suspect me of overstay or illegal stay since I never wanted to live in the US... :dead:

Japan is a great place to live :content:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

It has EVERYTHING to do with the POE officer. Have a look at our timeline. ;) Because you had a visit recently there could be extra scrutiny... just be honest and hope for the best.

timeline.jpg

Timeline
It has EVERYTHING to do with the POE officer. Have a look at our timeline. ;) Because you had a visit recently there could be extra scrutiny... just be honest and hope for the best.

When you(Russ) were denied re-entry, how did the conversation go?

What did they ask you and what did you say?

Did you bring any proof of ties to the home country?

I'd appreciate your response ;)

Thanks!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi Ume,

Russell was denied entry on his 5th or 6th time in the Country in two years. Each time he stayed almost the entire 90 days and he had no ties whatsoever to his Country. Yes, we took advantage of it as long as we could because I was awaiting a long drawn out divorce and we wanted to be together. ;)

He was coming in through Dublin the last time. You go through US Immigration Clearance before you even leave so he was pulled aside and brought into a room where he was asked a bunch of questions. Basically, he told them the truth. He had basically been living in the US, leaving every 90 days, for over a year...as I was awaiting my divorce and we wanted to be together as much as possible. They asked some questions about his family, my family, our plans..etc. Everything was recorded and transcribed. He was then allowed to withdraw his petition to enter the US (intent to immigrate) and return home to NZ. He can no longer use the VWP.

He was treated very kindly by the folks who handled it but it was extremely heartbreaking for both of us.

good luck.

timeline.jpg

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi everyone :D

I just wanted to let you know that I made it! I'm in the US enjoying my time with my boyfriend.

Here is what happened.

I arrived at SFO and there were not many people waiting at the POE. I was looking at the officers to find someone looking like he's having a good day. (I avoided females.) Then the citizen lines were cleared, and I was guided there.

I wasn't expecting it so I quickly looked for the happy officer and there was this guy saying "How are you?" to every visiter with loud and happy tone. I moved to his line and my turn came shortly. He asked me for passport and he said "What's the purpose of your visit" I don't know why, but he said it in Japanese. I was surprised by that and lost my words for a second and I said "Va Va...Vacation. It's my vacation."

I though I screwed it up...

Then he asked how long I was going to stay, and what my job was which I was never asked before.

And, I got my stamp. He even gave me extra days on the stamp for me to be able to extend my stay. (Or maybe it was his job to give me exactly 90 days. I don't know which.)

Then before moving to the flight I was stopped to show my connecting flight ticket and asked what I was going to do for 2.5 months. He was grumpy. And I said "Well, I'm gonna see my friends, going to places.....(like girl talk)" and he kinda cuts my sentence and said "you go that way"

And that was it.

I don't think I would do this again. I was lucky to be let go.

But if you have good ties to your country, and you really need to see your loved one, you should give it a try.

About my petition,

I was worried that there wasn't any sign of "Touch" to my petition for 4 months. But it was approved in 4 months and 1 week.

I though it would take more since we sent our petition to CSC.

Good luck to everyone (L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.