Candy1234

N-400 question

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm really new to this so please bare with me if I ask something that I should know :)

I submitted my N400 on April 20,2008 got a receipt that they had received it on May 16 and then got a letter to go for fingerprints on June 13, which of course I went to. I sent my application to the Vermont service center and I live in Staten Island. My fingerprint appointment was in NYC.

My permanent residentcy card expires on April 4, 2009, yes I had a 10 year card and it just dawned on me that I should apply for citenzenship.

Anyways there is a section of question and answers on a document M-476 -guide to naturalization, there it says that if you apply 6 months before your green card expires that you are in the clear, however when I called the 1800 number they didnt seem to know much and just said "you should always have a valid green card" but it seemed that they just rehearsed every answer and the person seemed to be just reading from a script. Should I apply for an extension to my greencard? or how long should I wait for my N400? I found a website for the NYC area that says they are procesing stuff from 2007, I'm just really worried and I dont know exactly what i should do.

thank you for any feedback

:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hello,

I'm really new to this so please bare with me if I ask something that I should know :)

I submitted my N400 on April 20,2008 got a receipt that they had received it on May 16 and then got a letter to go for fingerprints on June 13, which of course I went to. I sent my application to the Vermont service center and I live in Staten Island. My fingerprint appointment was in NYC.

My permanent residentcy card expires on April 4, 2009, yes I had a 10 year card and it just dawned on me that I should apply for citenzenship.

Anyways there is a section of question and answers on a document M-476 -guide to naturalization, there it says that if you apply 6 months before your green card expires that you are in the clear, however when I called the 1800 number they didnt seem to know much and just said "you should always have a valid green card" but it seemed that they just rehearsed every answer and the person seemed to be just reading from a script. Should I apply for an extension to my greencard? or how long should I wait for my N400? I found a website for the NYC area that says they are procesing stuff from 2007, I'm just really worried and I dont know exactly what i should do.

thank you for any feedback

:)

Should repost to the attention of NYC N-400 filers, according to one board member, NYC is the slowest and no rhyme or reason to the posted processing dates and the practical processing dates. Our field office is claiming Sep 2007, we applied at the end of March 2008 and already had the interview so moving a lot faster than what the posted dates state.

Did you read the details on renewing your green card, how many days in advance of the expiration date? That would give you some leeway to decide if your N-400 would make it or not. Too bad the USCIS does not give refunds if you would be rather safe than sorry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.