BH45

ILLINOIS

60 posts in this topic

I wish I was in Chicago. I love that city with all of my heart.

Its gorgeous.

I'll be there in two weeks for lollapalooza. :D

I don't know how Chicago looks, never been there :P

Seriously :blush:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I wish I was in Chicago. I love that city with all of my heart.

Its gorgeous.

I'll be there in two weeks for lollapalooza. :D

Me too. We used to go once a year. Been 2 now. Going in November to do a meet up of sorts. Homewood area.

Edited by Jomo's girl

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Anyone care to share what's so special about Chicago? I've been there a few times...yes, the city, and while it had a nice skyline, and it was by water...it looked to me like every other large city of history that's by water. I don't get it. :lol: Things I've read here on the Canada forum suggest that large cities have great places to eat, lovely museums, perhaps parks, art galleries, lots of shopping and people watching....something I personally only like to do once every ten years.

I'm not saying I hated Chicago. I enjoyed my day and early evening. I just found it to be like lots of large cities which I don't like anyway. Dark gloomy city streets because the buildings are so tall sunlight has trouble getting through...garbage in alleys, people tripled parked, people rushing back and forth to work. WAY too much noise and stink. A riverfront with lots of green space, boats, yahts etc. lots of good places to eat. Frankly, it was exactly like so many large cities to me.

The sheer size of the city freaks me out and getting to it, even by train was a bother. Been there...done that...unless I'm missing something!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Anyone care to share what's so special about Chicago? I've been there a few times...yes, the city, and while it had a nice skyline, and it was by water...it looked to me like every other large city of history that's by water. I don't get it. :lol: Things I've read here on the Canada forum suggest that large cities have great places to eat, lovely museums, perhaps parks, art galleries, lots of shopping and people watching....something I personally only like to do once every ten years.

I'm not saying I hated Chicago. I enjoyed my day and early evening. I just found it to be like lots of large cities which I don't like anyway. Dark gloomy city streets because the buildings are so tall sunlight has trouble getting through...garbage in alleys, people tripled parked, people rushing back and forth to work. WAY too much noise and stink. A riverfront with lots of green space, boats, yahts etc. lots of good places to eat. Frankly, it was exactly like so many large cities to me.

The sheer size of the city freaks me out and getting to it, even by train was a bother. Been there...done that...unless I'm missing something!

That's why I don't care much about going there Carla :lol:

Been living 26 years of my life in Montreal, and got my load of skyscrapers, traffic, expensive restaurants and museums! I got all I need in the burbs here ! The only thing I want to do is go to the aquarium and the planetarium. I really enjoyed those in Montreal and I am planning on trying it here. Now to convince my hubby to drive downtown...... :unsure: He's a country side boy from Michigan and to be anywhere in that traffic is a big no no....

Timeline

I liked that it was big enough to have plenty to do and small enough to navigate.

As you know, Carla, St. Louis is easy to navigate if you have a car. Public transportation is not all I want it to be and not all I hoped what they hyped would come to fruition. A big disappointment in my book. Having gone to other cities to vacation and not liking to rent a car, some are better then others. Orlando, for instance, cost us an arm and a leg to get around. I hated it.

I love to shop, even if it is just to window shop. I love that you can just keep going down a bunch of shops in a row. Most, we don't have here in St. Louis. My daughter used to love to have lunch at American Girl Place and see the show. I found their museums to be interesting and accessible. I love to take the double decker bus and hear the funny stories that go with the landmarks. A couple visits ago, we took the Chicago River cruise. The architecture and the stories that go with that architecture are incredible. Just amazing stories. I like that you can walk to so many things in the downtown area.

I like to go over to Belmont and walk the quirky part of town. Blue Man Group at Briar Street Theatre is an amazing show. Different then anything I've ever experienced. We've had the front row each of the 3 times we've seen it.

And, of course, being a huge baseball fan, 2 stadiums in one city is a bit of an anomaly for me. At least in the cities I have been able to visit so far.

For us, it is close enough to ride the bus, take the train, or fly at a decent price. And once you get there, the EL pretty much takes you anywhere you want to go.

Two years ago, Andre had never been anywhere outside of Jamaica and St. Louis, so it was a real treat for him. He'd never been in a building over 4 stories tall, so the Hancock building scared him to death. And, he swore Lake Michigan was an ocean cause it was so big. Looking at Chicago through his eyes made it even more exciting.

That's what I love about Chicago.

We went to Washington, D.C. the last 2 years and while it was fun and interesting, it didn't have the appeal of Chicago.

Edited by Jomo's girl

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

I liked that it was big enough to have plenty to do and small enough to navigate.

As you know, Carla, St. Louis is easy to navigate if you have a car. Public transportation is not all I want it to be and not all I hoped what they hyped would come to fruition. A big disappointment in my book. Having gone to other cities to vacation and not liking to rent a car, some are better then others. Orlando, for instance, cost us an arm and a leg to get around. I hated it.

I love to shop, even if it is just to window shop. I love that you can just keep going down a bunch of shops in a row. Most, we don't have here in St. Louis. My daughter used to love to have lunch at American Girl Place and see the show. I found their museums to be interesting and accessible. I love to take the double decker bus and hear the funny stories that go with the landmarks. A couple visits ago, we took the Chicago River cruise. The architecture and the stories that go with that architecture are incredible. Just amazing stories. I like that you can walk to so many things in the downtown area.

I like to go over to Belmont and walk the quirky part of town. Blue Man Group at Briar Street Theatre is an amazing show. Different then anything I've ever experienced. We've had the front row each of the 3 times we've seen it.

And, of course, being a huge baseball fan, 2 stadiums in one city is a bit of an anomaly for me. At least in the cities I have been able to visit so far.

For us, it is close enough to ride the bus, take the train, or fly at a decent price. And once you get there, the EL pretty much takes you anywhere you want to go.

Two years ago, Andre had never been anywhere outside of Jamaica and St. Louis, so it was a real treat for him. He'd never been in a building over 4 stories tall, so the Hancock building scared him to death. And, he swore Lake Michigan was an ocean cause it was so big. Looking at Chicago through his eyes made it even more exciting.

That's what I love about Chicago.

We went to Washington, D.C. the last 2 years and while it was fun and interesting, it didn't have the appeal of Chicago.

Thanks for the lovely post Jomo's girl! :thumbs: I think you should write a travelogue of your experience! I agree about getting around St. Louis!

Again, I didn't mean to belittle Chicago. I really did think I was maybe missing something! I'm just not a fan of large cities. Yes, to maybe go there, for a day or two, once in my life, but that's about it. They each have their appeal, and all the wonderful things about them. I had always heard nice things about Chicago from other people, other websites, and even posts on this board for two years. Chicago has many lovely things, as do all large American cities.

My idea however for a vacation is a tucked away place.... brooks and streams...woods....a TON OF BOOKS.... you get the picture. Anywhere but a city! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Oh, YAWN, Carla. You can do that by driving into ARNOLD!

Just kidding. I like to do that from time to time too.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

That's why I don't care much about going there Carla :lol:

Been living 26 years of my life in Montreal, and got my load of skyscrapers, traffic, expensive restaurants and museums! I got all I need in the burbs here ! The only thing I want to do is go to the aquarium and the planetarium. I really enjoyed those in Montreal and I am planning on trying it here. Now to convince my hubby to drive downtown...... :unsure: He's a country side boy from Michigan and to be anywhere in that traffic is a big no no....

Larry took my daughter, his youngest son and I to the aquarium in March when we were here. You'd love it Mephys. Why drive when you can probably take the Metra in and grab a trolley car over to the aquarium. At least, I think you can....*giggles*

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I also live in southern Illinois, in the St Louis Metro East area. David and Amber are in Illinois also, but I don't know where.

Yep, We're in Illinois! We currently live in Vandalia, but we're moving to Berwyn in the middle of August so we're really close to all you Palatine and Schaumberg people :P We drove by all those burbs of chicago a few weeks ago looking for a place to rent. An Illinois VJ meeting would be neat :dance:

Im also very excited to be seeing a BETTER hockey team than the STL Blues. Chicago is very much like my beloved Oilers. young and full of potential :D

Edited by David_n_Amber

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Yep, We're in Illinois! We currently live in Vandalia, but we're moving to Berwyn in the middle of August so we're really close to all you Palatine and Schaumberg people :P

:dance:

Well , SpiritAlight is gonna be gone for vacation ( again :P) for a few weeks apparently, so waiting until you move to Berwyn shouldn't be a problem! :D

So how about we look towards August 26 for a VJ get together in the afternoon. It's a Tuesday Mephys....I remembered.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

So how about we look towards August 26 for a VJ get together in the afternoon. It's a Tuesday Mephys....I remembered.

lol thx for remembering

Well lets say September 2nd because I might be busy that tuesday with my husband's birthday in the few days before, I might have a switched day for it and I might work that day :P

September 2nd would be great I think :) But then it's gonna be your 1st month marriage anniversary ;)

We would have to find a place to meet and see who can/ can't drive in the area, and see how we could work it up! And I don't know maybe we could do it as a lunch, or maybe more like a coffee afternoon....Put in some suggestions!

Sept 2 would probably be ok. My hubby to be works 12 hour swing shifts. I know he mentioned that one of the other operators will be on vacation at that time. So he could very well be working.

We could start with lunch and carry on until we are done. Maybe meet at a Denny's in Schaumburg. I think I know where there is one and I don't think it's too hard to find. Let me check out the maps and see about that.

What does everyone else think?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm in Alton Illinois, about 15 miles northeast of St. louis Missouri.

Hi I will be in CLAY CITY, IL soon!!!! Rodge told me that ur place mogdog is about 4hrs drive from his place...Hope to see you sometime this November...

Edited by Rodge & Ninfa

ea924d6b6b.png

FILING FOR LIFTING OF CONDITION

Sept 2 would probably be ok. My hubby to be works 12 hour swing shifts. I know he mentioned that one of the other operators will be on vacation at that time. So he could very well be working.

We could start with lunch and carry on until we are done. Maybe meet at a Denny's in Schaumburg. I think I know where there is one and I don't think it's too hard to find. Let me check out the maps and see about that.

What does everyone else think?

There is a Denny's at 1700 E Higgins Rd in Schaumburg. Think about it..... :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.