bora bora

How much did you know about your SO's country BEFORE meeting him/her?

Knowledge of his/her country  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you know about your SO's country before meeting him/her?

• A lot (explain)
    • A limited amount (for example: where it is, the language they speak)
    • Almost nothing/Nothing
    • Other (explain)

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Here's a funny thing... I thought I KNEW that Spanish were the same as Mexican's, right?? wrong!! LOL I have come to find out they are VERY different, even language, is not exactly the same. Spaniards are European and Mexicans have more of a south american influence. I never realized there was much of a difference. I sure am glad to know that difference (namely Marcos)! (wink wink) :yes:

Uh hum... Mexico is in NORTH America and actually isn't influenced from South America since it's so far away from the continent. IMHO, Mexico has it's own rich culture, food, Spanish accent, music, art, entertainment - QUITE unique from any other Latin American country.

Muito obrigada brother bora :thumbs: You are wise.

SISTER bora :blush:

I'm an Anthropologist and an ESL teacher, so those kind of things bother me...

I hate it when people ask me if my husband speaks Spanish, or even worse Brazilian :bonk:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Here's a funny thing... I thought I KNEW that Spanish were the same as Mexican's, right?? wrong!! LOL I have come to find out they are VERY different, even language, is not exactly the same. Spaniards are European and Mexicans have more of a south american influence. I never realized there was much of a difference. I sure am glad to know that difference (namely Marcos)! (wink wink) :yes:

Uh hum... Mexico is in NORTH America and actually isn't influenced from South America since it's so far away from the continent. IMHO, Mexico has it's own rich culture, food, Spanish accent, music, art, entertainment - QUITE unique from any other Latin American country.

Muito obrigada brother bora :thumbs: You are wise.

SISTER bora :blush:

I'm an Anthropologist and an ESL teacher, so those kind of things bother me...

I hate it when people ask me if my husband speaks Spanish, or even worse Brazilian :bonk:

Cr@p. Sister, sister, sister......

I dated this dude ONCE. My bff's were on their way to Universidade Estadual de Campinas.... and during the bye bye party, this moron says: "SO, DO YOU SPEAK BRAZILIAN ALREADY??" :blink: :blink: :blink: Needless to say, I ran out of the party in shame, and never saw the dude again.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
mariachis%20x7.JPG

;)

I knew the stereotypical basics.

:lol::lol::lol:

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I didn't know much about his country, except the stuff I see on commercials, and heard in the news. It strange because most of the stuff I thought I knew turned out to be rumors.

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I knew quite a bit about Brazil before I met my husband. I had visited Brazil twice before I moved there to teach, but it was only for vacation.

By the time I met my hubby I had been in his city for 4 months so I knew the language and a lot about the culture. Of course I really improved my Portuguese by living with him and am still learning about his culture to this day.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

A lot. I had been traveling to Eastern Europe for years for business and pleasure. I started in Belarus, and immediately was taken with the warmth and hospitality my business partners showed me. I visited much of the FSU (except Russia), but met Vika here at a friend's house. The culture in Ukraine was in many ways similar to Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Bulgaria , etc. The added bonus is that I felt comfortable with her relatives instantly. She says this was because I was interested and familiar with her country, culture, politics, and so forth. I am not nearly as familiar as I thought though.... she throws me a curve pretty often. :yes:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Yeah yeah, you laugh!! What did you know about the country I live in? :lol:

I know a lot of things about Germany

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

A lot - I had visited Nepal twice before I met Govi and knew the basics. For example, all Nepalis are not either Sherpas or Gurkhas, and Nepal is a separate country, neither part of India nor Tibet(like a lot of my co-workers seem to think.... :unsure: ) Each time I go back I learn more, though... :)

Edited by Pattu Rani

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

I knew almost nothing. I met him in a third country where he was living, and I didn't go to his country until after we were engaged. I had a friend from Kosovo in high school, but I didn't really know where that was, or what it meant to be Albanian. I also didn't understand why people from Kosovo were Albanian, and people from Albania were also Albanian. It can be a little confusing at first I guess.

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

I was thinking the same thing,I'm so glad you said it.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE